Ulcer Treatment

Tapir

Visit site
A friend of mine's horse has just been diagnosed with ulcers. The treatment supplied by the vet is costing her a huge amount of money and I am sure that people on here have in the past recommended some cheaper sources. Searching for ulcers on here brings up so many threads! Please could anyone suggest a cheaper source of ulcer medication. Thank you

ElectricChampagne

Visit site
Theres a facebook group for horses with Ulcers in the UK, can't remember the name but lots of advice on there. Might be worth a look too.

some good advice is cut out all grains and sugary feeds, and make sure the horse always has hay in front of them, its not going to solve the problem but it will help.

Farma

Visit site
I know there are lots of natural remedies, slippery elm, licorice root and aloe vera that can help and lots of others I cant remember now. I am sure if you have a look in some larger feed stores or saddlerys there will be pre packed gut balancers and supplements that include these types of things.
Otherwise omeprazole I believe is the prescribed drug and is pretty expensive.

sunleychops

Visit site
Omeprazole is the only drug that will inhibit the production of acid to allow the ulcers to heal, No amount of supplements or witchcraft will do that.

Unfortunately until the horse scopes clear and can be placed on a cheaper maintenance supplement, Your friend is going to have to bite the bullet and pay the price.

Peptizole is slightly cheaper than Gastrogard mind

PorkChop

Visit site
I might get jumped on, however, you can buy omeprazole pretty cheaply from the Abler website. It isn't legal, so it depends whether your friend is comfortable with that.

I can highly recommend Egusin from forageplus, had good results with it.

Tangaroo

Visit site
Yes if you join the Horses with ulcers page on FB you will see that lots of people buy from Abler in the US without a problem.