Ultra reflective hi-viz - photos

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
This is the pony size Equisafety Mercury rug in orange and reflective. It looks to be the right size for my arabs. The orange binding, diagonal stripes and chest band are very bright. The reflective areas look grey/silver when in ambient light, but reflect very well in direct light. This was with a flash and the reflected light was bright but not overly glary. I will do more photos with it on a horse and with car headlights when I have time/better weather. It has a mesh lining plus a belly strap and a fillet string to stop it flapping in the wind.

aaa8c923-1656-405e-ab4e-d9f8333082d3_zpsvy35r0oz.jpg

0bf66fd8-c842-4104-8402-7199043681d8_zpskyjfjsnb.jpg

aaf23997-aa04-41bb-836e-2100772af155_zps4zd8gwzg.jpg

14500eea-0516-428a-b985-c53ee7e48ef1_zpshkw456e1.jpg

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
be interesting to see where the belly strap sits when you get it on.

Also, can you assess in sunlight re any dazzle on the basis that you might get more than FW gets in scotland ;).

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
If the clouds ever part I will do. :p I will also take a belly photo to show strap placement.

Equi's post did make me LOL, such an eloquent way with words. :) Time will tell how it lasts and how long it stays reflective for.

Equi

Visit site
haha. I am interested to see how long it lasts myself. I know you know their track record haha. I believe harry hall also do one similar?

Sprig

Visit site
I personally would prefer to use one that is just high-viz all over. Reflective is only useful if it is dark outside.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
That's exactly why I want it. I have off road riding on my doorstep but there is a small chance that I could meet a car as the first part is a bridleway/driveway.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
I want it for a specific job and I'll use a normal hi viz sheet for other hacking routes done in full daylight.

I'll try to get some daytime photos of it as well. :)

Under-the-radar

Visit site
I've just been looking at photos of the Rambo one a few moments ago - I think it is silver normally, so it is still a light colour, which is better than being dark I think.

Sprig

Visit site
Oh, in that case are you going to get some lights too? Maybe you could get some of those short strings of fairy lights that run off a small battery. they would be easy to attach to the rug.

FfionWinnie

Visit site
Here's my Rambo night rider rug.

It's a 50g fill which I hadn't realised. It's been pretty mild here so probably wouldn't use the neck unless it was chucking it down or a lot colder.

I'm really happy with it. It's a weird fabric which seems to absorb any available light.

Will do a night time shoot some day but here are some pics in the mean time.

E88A7EAE-F5C8-4315-9008-CC6C110335CF_zpsxttmkxiv.jpg

7E528F83-FEB8-41BC-983F-740C6E305D30_zpsxblfox40.jpg

Really pleased with the fit. Coblet is 14.2 and a 6ft3 rug.

minkymoo

Visit site
I personally would prefer to use one that is just high-viz all over. Reflective is only useful if it is dark outside.

I was going to say the same, if you're not riding at night, I don't really see the point?!

It won't make you any more visible during the day anymore than hi-viz yellow makes you visible during the night :S

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
I wish I could give more feedback, but due to the horrid weather and my annoying health issues, I've hardly used it as I decided to give the horses the winter off. :(

BBP

Visit site
I got given the Mercury rug for Christmas and use it to cross the road in the dark, which it is perfect for. I must admit for warmth I stick my thermatex quarter sheet on then this one over the top. Then once I've crossed to road to the arena I take the reflective one off. It's quite deep on my little horse and a bit flappy despite the belly strap but for what i need it's brilliant. I feel much safer knowing cars can see a big horse shape (previous rug just the outline was reflective), I know if he got away from me on the road at night cars would see him a mile away, better than in daylight. For daylight hacking I've got a fleece fluorescent sheet that I love.
Seen from rear with Mercury sheet and tail lights but no flash/headlights
image_zpscytk5ek5.jpg

2 seconds later, with flash
image_zps9l8ozbo5.jpg

Last edited: