Unaffiliated Above Elementary - midlands/Gloucester/bucks??

Blythe Spirit

Visit site
Does anyone know any venues which do unaffiliated dressage above elementary? In a few months I would like to have a go at a Medium test but cant see anywhere that goes above elementary in an unaffiliated class. I could drive about an hour if needed from Stratford upon Avon - any ideas?
many thanks

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
not the answer you are after, but why not go affiliated? :) would most likely be easier to find some classes?

ETA, I'll be perhaps more helpful on your specific query - is Abbey Dressage too far (near Tewkesbury). They have PYO classes to AM in their unaff competitions.

Blythe Spirit

Visit site
Thanks I will try there :) its not too far. I don't know why I don't affiliate really no good reason - but I think I kind of like to not take it too seriously after all I am just a amateur rider I am never going to be super good - I have a feeling I can go further and have more fun unaffiliated

milliepops

Visit site
Ahhh I would beg to differ :) Also an amateur, doing it for fun- I like to win :p but more importantly I like my horses & I to have a nice day out. Lots of friendly people at BD, we aren't all stuck up toffs taking ourselves too seriously :lol: I've got a £2 bog pony and a rescued horse out at affiliated dressage, having a ball.

You can try it out on a ticket at that level - nice to have a bit of competition too...? sometimes higher level unaff classes can be a bit lonely.

mrsh2010

Visit site
I ride for fun at affiliated. It's great fun. Yes you have the professional riders, but it's much friendly and 20 x 60 is much more fun.

Addington do unaffiliated PYO, but not sure if that's too far

AdorableAlice

Visit site
I did unaff mediums at Moreton Morrell, but that was quite a long time ago, 2004/05. No idea if they still do the unaff dressage anymore. The main thing I remember about it was having a test time of 7pm on a freezing cold Sunday evening.

mrsh2010

Visit site
Aston Le Walls run unaffiliated and affiliated dressage together. You enter the same class, but state on your entry that you are wanting to enter the unaffiliated section

kc100

Visit site
My venue tried doing unaff mediums over the summer but would maybe get 1 entry if we were lucky - so have stopped them for the autumn/winter now as there wasnt enough interest. Shame as well, its Lapworth so only about 40 mins from Stratford!

Unaffiliated is generally for people having a go, doing it for fun or those that cant afford to affiliate - if you are at Medium generally you are good enough to affiliate hence why there isnt much demand for unaff Mediums, so you really should just bite the bullet and affiliate, even if you want to go training or H/C you can still have a go at Medium without running the risk of getting a bad score on the horses record!

BD is full of amateur riders as well, you can have lots of fun doing Area Festivals if you dont want to take it too seriously, these are easier to qualify for but go all the way up to Inter 1! You'll really struggle to get much further than Medium unaffiliated purely because the number of venues running those competitions are so few and far between, so if you want to go up the levels (but still having fun) I'd say BD but doing area festivals (where its not quite as serious/over-run with professionals as regions & nationals) would be the way to go.

Blythe Spirit

Visit site
Thanks Kc100 - I looked at your venue as I thought I knew they did mediums - turns out I was kind of right. I have done elementary at Willicote and Moreton morrell (and been first at both but from very small classes)

I suppose I don't affiliate because i am having fun streaching myself having a go at this level - not sure i could do more than novice at BD without feeling a fool :) - I don't think I will ever get above Medium but my instructor said in a month or two it would be worth choosing an easyish one and going to have a go whilst spending the winter competing more seriously at elementary.

I am just an average rider on a middle aged small 15hh and narrow unregistered spanish horse. However I was thinking if I have a good year at elementary unaffiliated I should really bite the bullet at affiliate even if I never do well at that level as you say I would have access to more competitions at least

milliepops

Visit site
Your horse so its your choice, but *honestly* don't be put off BD in the future because you don't think you are good enough. You see all sorts. Some are amazing, some are average, some are having a bad day, just the same as any other show :)

I have a small middle-aged, charity-loaned cob x wb who I'll be trying to push up to Adv Med as soon as she's sound again (!), I like stretching myself too ;) and a small feral section D who is doing Novices and we hold our own with the massive warmbloods.

If you want to have a go under the radar you can buy a class ticket and there will be no record of it ever happening!
You might just surprise yourself and have a fabulous time :) In the meantime sounds like you've found some unaff options :)