UNBELIEVABLE!!! RE- people who don't wrap their horses up 'cosy warm'

blood_magik

Visit site
Slightly off topic but until this thread I don't think I had ever heard of horses wearing more than one rug at any one time when rugged :eek::confused: clearly I have been mixing with the wrong sort

Really? If it's really cold, then I pop a fleece on underneath his HW but I never use more than two rugs at a time. :)

Winklepoker

Visit site
Honestly I leave you all alone for a few hours and you simply can't contain yourselves can you?! ;-) quick... Throw another medium weight combo onto the smouldering ashes... Don't get me started on the rancid hairies that don't need rugs :-D

SaharaS

Visit site
...oh god...panick stations...hang on....

left a bit ....thats it shuffle up everyone...please all move along...right a bit....whoa there...

sorry...just spent all afternoon re arranging the furniture..bit of a squish..you'll have to fire the popcorn over again as Woolliam the shoop scoffed it...sorry! 4 tbs now warming their hooves by the log burner...7 shiverring sheep are donning their foal duvets & mums knocking up some socks & leg warmers for them from the goats under belly fluff...goats are fluffed up & their cashmere undercoat is now showing thru their top coat...so I've dug out some old Brora jumpers for them & they are now warming their bottoms on the aga & the polar bear is in his big thick bear jacket...with a wooly hat on curled up on my lap in a tiny ball...well as small as polar bears can...I'll see if i can get a pic....hang on...could whichever horse nearest the ch thermostat whack it up full please...I'm wearing too many jackets to clamber over you all....:cool:

debsg

Visit site
My OH could do with clipping and turning out naked :D
My hamster is in full work and has a chaser clip atm, but I'm finding it really difficult to source turnout rugs for him. He is a Siberian hamster, so you'd think he was used to sub zero temperatures. The poor little bugger is shivering as he runs around on his wheel and I could really use some advice. Should I up his hard feed? Am a little concerned about ham-initis.

haras

Visit site
I'm afraid that I haven't read all 22 pages of replies, but in my opinion there is nothing more creul than over rugged horses. They can't take a layer off to cool down. However, with enough forage, they can eat to keep warm.

My 4 all live out 24/7. My 2 arabs including an 8 month old foal are in mediumweights. My arab x veteran is in a heavyweight, and only because he is old. Last winter he wintered out in the medium weight my mare is wearing now. They are all plenty warm enough under their rugs. If they feel toasty warm, then they are too warm!!!

And shock horror... My welsh mountain pony is out NAKED and she is fine! I'd be cruel if I rugged her to be honest, shes young, fit, healthy and fat. She needs to lose weight, if I rug her, then she'll not burn off weight as nature intended and then she'll be at risk of laminitis come spring...

madgeymoo

Visit site
we have neighbours like this all TB no rugs no hay out turned out 9/10 am everyday come shine, rain, wind, snow, with no rugs no hay and no grass (field just like a mud bath) yet mine dont go in field if boggy, muddy out any would die if they where expected to stand there naked :D although they go out in the school everyday for a roll with rugs and turnout boots. Many people say i wrap them up in cotton wool to much but i no that if i didnt something would go wrong always does--- yet next door never seem to have a problem and get away with doing anything (THAT ANNOYS ME TO):confused:

Spellbound13

Visit site
Dear god what an over reaction!

Some horses do not need layers of rugs, clipped or unclipped. Some have a very dense coat which keeps them plenty warm. If the sun is out NO horse needs a damn rug on anyway.

Also they could be trying to get the horse to lose weight so that it is not obese and at risk of lami come spring etc

It is far worse to over rug, which to be frank sounds like you are doing, than to under rug.

Theyre animals, born and bred to live outside etc etc - not to be trussed up in blankets like replacement children.

My gypsy cob is 5 years old now and she has NEVER been rugged in her life, I have clipped her this winter as ive now broken her, only a neck and chest clip, not even on to her belly, and she isnt rugged still, I do now put a turnout rug on her when she goes in the paddock and its raining, but other than that she is not rugged and gets along perfectly fine, she is also over weight so on VETS RECOMENDATIONS she isnt ruggged to help shift a bit of weight. she is currently stabled day and night, but gets turned out in the paddock for an hour a day.

Winklepoker

Visit site
Pmsl.... Seriously I have had the worst day and this has been the saving grace!! Snapped the lace in my ariat boots, had the trots, got my period, fell off my horse (no doubt because he had been too hot all day) and had toothache. Brazilian and vajazzling, shaven hamsters and total ranting, revolting hairy cob owners get rowdy - my horse has still gone to bed tonight in his rucksack of rugs that are stretching his washing line ligament! Pah ha ha ha haaaaaa!!!

bumblelion

Visit site
Pmsl.... Seriously I have had the worst day and this has been the saving grace!! Snapped the lace in my ariat boots, had the trots, got my period, fell off my horse (no doubt because he had been too hot all day) and had toothache. Brazilian and vajazzling, shaven hamsters and total ranting, revolting hairy cob owners get rowdy - my horse has still gone to bed tonight in his rucksack of rugs that are stretching his washing line ligament! Pah ha ha ha haaaaaa!!!

Lol!!!!

bumblelion

Visit site
...oh god...panick stations...hang on....

left a bit ....thats it shuffle up everyone...please all move along...right a bit....whoa there...

sorry...just spent all afternoon re arranging the furniture..bit of a squish..you'll have to fire the popcorn over again as Woolliam the shoop scoffed it...sorry! 4 tbs now warming their hooves by the log burner...7 shiverring sheep are donning their foal duvets & mums knocking up some socks & leg warmers for them from the goats under belly fluff...goats are fluffed up & their cashmere undercoat is now showing thru their top coat...so I've dug out some old Brora jumpers for them & they are now warming their bottoms on the aga & the polar bear is in his big thick bear jacket...with a wooly hat on curled up on my lap in a tiny ball...well as small as polar bears can...I'll see if i can get a pic....hang on...could whichever horse nearest the ch thermostat whack it up full please...I'm wearing too many jackets to clamber over you all....:cool:

Double lol, lol!!

Vickijay

Visit site
and yes of course, my dad is a farmer and all of his cows are in 450gs with full necks!

I can confirm I visited said farm and saw the cows in their hw rugs, they even had cow Snuggy jams for when they were in!

Dont rug your scraggy cobs and natives if you dont want to, they are covered in revolting hair and mane anyway :D Just saying, it is freedom of speech and choices.

Lolz

I can't believe you are damaging his washing line ligament, I think that's a important one... And as for vajazzling I brought my friend one from the pound shop for christmas, im such a good friend!! hahahahahahahaaaaa

I must be confused about the rugging debate as I have just put a mw rug on my hairy youngster who is still a ferral (well sort of not so much now) pony and I have let my fully clipped tb out in the snow and cold naked! Are you really saying I've got it all wrong?!???!!!! :p

Xxx

abitodd

www.musicfordressage.net
My hamster is in full work and has a chaser clip atm, but I'm finding it really difficult to source turnout rugs for him. He is a Siberian hamster, so you'd think he was used to sub zero temperatures. The poor little bugger is shivering as he runs around on his wheel and I could really use some advice. Should I up his hard feed? Am a little concerned about ham-initis.

NO:eek::eek:Do not up his hard feed. He needs fibre,fibre,fibre. I am assuming he is a barefoot hamster,so it might be worth getting his forage tested for mineral levels.

I'm afraid that I haven't read all 22 pages of replies, but in my opinion there is nothing more creul than over rugged horses. They can't take a layer off to cool down. However, with enough forage, they can eat to keep warm.

You really should read all the replies. Its better than telly.

Sorry you've had a bad day. Thanks for improving mine.:)

MerrySherryRider

Visit site
Sucks, granddad was a forerunner in warming animals back in the 1920's. Used to bring his chickens out of the snow to defrost their feet letting them perch on the clothes horse in front of the fire.

Anyone know where I can get rugs for the guineapigs ? Oh, and some little boots too ?

glenruby

Visit site
When I had my ponies they had bib or neck and belly clips in October and lived out rugless. They were then trace or chaser clipped in January and again out rugless except for in heavy rain and storms when they were brought in. Even when I finally got stables, they were left naked for at least an hour a day ( usually around riding time) and often for the duration if the sunshine on frosty mornings - happier horses I haven't seen! One if them did tend to shiver if wet and rugged but never in the frost/ snow.
I cannot abide seeing horses over rugged nowadays. I also do. Not own a heavy weight rug only medium ones - both of which have remained hanging up this year as my unclupped youngster (3/4tb) is in good order unruffled now.
I can understand your anger if there are other management issues as well as you assume there are however I also think it sounds s though it is none of your business. There is no welfare issue from what you say - only they don't do things the way you do.

caitlineloise

Visit site

LOL! :D:D:D:D:D

Echo Bravo

Visit site
Horserider knit them some bootees and shawls,great for chickens,:D:D:D and out of my 5 this year only my TB is rugged up(lightweight) only because she suffers from sweet itch and because it's been warm she is still scratching.

Visit site
I haven't read all of the replies but I agree with the OP - horses which are fully clipped should not be left unrugged when it is cold as it is at the moment. When hair is removed, it needs to be replaced by rugs. There is nothing natural about a clipped horse.