Uncomfortable being ridden from grass

Casey76

Visit site
Does anyone else have a horse who is uncomfortable being ridden straight from grass?

On Saturday I had a lesson at 12, so my mare had only been out for a couple of hours (t/o between 9 and 10) when I went to fetch her. As I was running a bit late - I keep forgetting how long it takes me to bring in from the field they are in - so I was groomed, tacked and on board within 15 mins of bringing her in.

I had a bear of a lesson, having to push her on all the time (which isn't like her at all); she was just unwilling to go forward. Canter was a disaster and felt like riding a bike with square wheels, though my instructor insists it was still a 3-time pace.

She was very gassy, and poohed 5 times in the hour lesson.

It isn't the first time she has appeared to be uncomfortable when ridden straight off grass. The first time I stopped my lesson as she was terrible. But she has been out in this field for 3 weeks now, so I would have thought she would be used to the change in grass. I think it is just the volume of it. She has gained 8kg (taped) in 2 weeks, despite being ridden more than ever, and her belly is just enormous.

I'm not entirely sure how I can work this. If I bring her in early it will mean she hardly gets any turn out at all on a Saturday, because both of her field mates are also ridden on a Saturday afternoon, and the field is too far from the farm to keep an eye on her/make sure she isn't getting stressed by being alone (there are no other horses within sight).

Blummin horses!

Annagain

Visit site
Could you rearrange your lesson so she's being ridden at the same time as the others? That way, she could have a few hours out, then come in for an hour or two before she's ridden.

If that's not possible, I wouldn't worry too much about her not getting much turnout once a week if she's being worked that day. Or maybe just once, leave her out and watch to see what she does? You might find she's fine on her own for a few hours.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
My older horse is like this if she is turned out on lots of grass. (I'm a meanie, so the word 'lots' might be relative - I restrict grazing virtually all of the time). She is sluggish and generally hard work.

What works for us is bringing in an hour before exercise - to allow for a post grass snooze/poo/deflate
or riding in the morning before turnout
or grazing muzzle ;)

muzzle might be your option on those days,at least

Vodkagirly

Visit site
That's a lot of weight to put on at this time of year. Any chance she is in foal?

I've had issues with horses being like that but only in spring on rich grass - though given the warm wet weather, is your grass spring like?

Casey76

Visit site
Vodkagirly:
Absolutely no chance she's in foal ;) (well, not unless there has been a loose, roaming stallion around and I'm sure we would have heard about that!)

It's the grass. she went from being on a postage stamp sized paddock with nothing in it to being out on 1ha with two others - not my choice! The first day she went out she bloated so much her weight tape measurement went from 450kg to 470kg - this came back down to 450 over the course of a week, but I was terrified she was going to colic.

Annagain: We all have private lessons one after the other. I'm first, so I go and fetch Tartine. Rituel gets ridden immediately after me, so his owner gets him and my youngster in at the same time as my youngster does run himself into a lather if left alone. There is then an hour gap and I ride Blitz, at which point there is only an hour before bring in time, and by the time Blitz is cooled out enough, there is hardly any time to take them back to the field before it is time to bring in.

Tartine does work hard in her lesson for an hour - nearly all trot and canter work - so I suppose it's not the end of the world if she only gets an hour or two turnout on a Saturday am.

I'm trying to find a good moment to talk to the YO about dividing the field, but he is going through a very sticky divorce atm and bringing up yard related things is like handling primed dynamite at the moment - you never know if it's going to blow up in your face :eek:

muckypony

Visit site
Vodkagirly:
Absolutely no chance she's in foal ;) (well, not unless there has been a loose, roaming stallion around and I'm sure we would have heard about that!)

It's the grass. she went from being on a postage stamp sized paddock with nothing in it to being out on 1ha with two others - not my choice! The first day she went out she bloated so much her weight tape measurement went from 450kg to 470kg - this came back down to 450 over the course of a week, but I was terrified she was going to colic.

Annagain: We all have private lessons one after the other. I'm first, so I go and fetch Tartine. Rituel gets ridden immediately after me, so his owner gets him and my youngster in at the same time as my youngster does run himself into a lather if left alone. There is then an hour gap and I ride Blitz, at which point there is only an hour before bring in time, and by the time Blitz is cooled out enough, there is hardly any time to take them back to the field before it is time to bring in.

Tartine does work hard in her lesson for an hour - nearly all trot and canter work - so I suppose it's not the end of the world if she only gets an hour or two turnout on a Saturday am.

I'm trying to find a good moment to talk to the YO about dividing the field, but he is going through a very sticky divorce atm and bringing up yard related things is like handling primed dynamite at the moment - you never know if it's going to blow up in your face :eek:

If you ride one later on, can you not swap them so that the made gets ridden second and brought in at the same time so has some time to chill?

As a child I was always told never to ride straight from grass, ponies always came in for an hour first. I ride from the field now, but my boy isn't a piggy horse. I imagine with some its the same as binging out of chocolate and then going straight for a run!

Annagain

Visit site
I could swap, however that would mean I had an hour lesson followed straight away by another lesson, and I'm really not that fit :eek:

I think mucky pony meant ride your youngster first, so your friend can get your mare in with hers. That way she has more time to deflate before her lesson. Could work if your youngster is ok ridden straight from the field.

OWLIE185

Visit site
We were always taught to bring the horses in to their stables at least one hour before they were ridden when taken off a grass field.

applecart14

Visit site
Does anyone else have a horse who is uncomfortable being ridden straight from grass?

On Saturday I had a lesson at 12, so my mare had only been out for a couple of hours (t/o between 9 and 10) when I went to fetch her. As I was running a bit late - I keep forgetting how long it takes me to bring in from the field they are in - so I was groomed, tacked and on board within 15 mins of bringing her in.

I had a bear of a lesson, having to push her on all the time (which isn't like her at all); she was just unwilling to go forward. Canter was a disaster and felt like riding a bike with square wheels, though my instructor insists it was still a 3-time pace.

She was very gassy, and poohed 5 times in the hour lesson.

It isn't the first time she has appeared to be uncomfortable when ridden straight off grass. The first time I stopped my lesson as she was terrible. But she has been out in this field for 3 weeks now, so I would have thought she would be used to the change in grass. I think it is just the volume of it. She has gained 8kg (taped) in 2 weeks, despite being ridden more than ever, and her belly is just enormous.

I'm not entirely sure how I can work this. If I bring her in early it will mean she hardly gets any turn out at all on a Saturday, because both of her field mates are also ridden on a Saturday afternoon, and the field is too far from the farm to keep an eye on her/make sure she isn't getting stressed by being alone (there are no other horses within sight).

Blummin horses!

Can you not strip graze? Either that or put a muzzle on her? You need to keep her weight down, not just for fitness but also for her joints.

Casey76

Visit site
I think mucky pony meant ride your youngster first, so your friend can get your mare in with hers. That way she has more time to deflate before her lesson. Could work if your youngster is ok ridden straight from the field.

Unfortunately my youngster can't be left by himself as he runs himself ragged

We were always taught to bring the horses in to their stables at least one hour before they were ridden when taken off a grass field.

I know it's 1 hour after hard feed, but my understanding was that they could be ridden off grass

Can you not strip graze? Either that or put a muzzle on her? You need to keep her weight down, not just for fitness but also for her joints.

I'll muzzle her for now, and try to work something out about the field for this weekend.

dianchi

Visit site
I try not to ride mine off grass at any point as she gets swollen glands and cant flex and bend through her neck.
Easily sorted she has two hours in before ridden work, or is ridden from the stable first thing.

Horses for courses, just need to find the right routine for you.

Annagain

Visit site
Unfortunately my youngster can't be left by himself as he runs himself ragged

He wouldn't be on his own. You could get Blitz in first and ride him. By the time he's finished the other two would be in. He could then spend an hour cooling down / drying off while Tartine deflates (for want of a better word!) and as you go for your lesson on her, the other horse will come back? It means he would be in for longer though (unless she cools down quicker than him and you can get them out sooner) so you won't necessarily be any better off, except that he could stay out longer than her in the morning as he wouldn't need to come off the grass as early.

Casey76

Visit site
He wouldn't be on his own. You could get Blitz in first and ride him. By the time he's finished the other two would be in. He could then spend an hour cooling down / drying off while Tartine deflates (for want of a better word!) and as you go for your lesson on her, the other horse will come back? It means he would be in for longer though (unless she cools down quicker than him and you can get them out sooner) so you won't necessarily be any better off, except that he could stay out longer than her in the morning as he wouldn't need to come off the grass as early.

Ah yes, I see what you mean - sorry - Monday brain!

I'll discuss it with my instructor to see if we can swap her Saturday afternoon schedule around a bit!