Uncomfortable Wintec Saddle

jambolet

Visit site
I have been learning to ride a horse now for nearly six months, having one 30 min lesson each week. My instructor is constantly telling me that I am moving to far forward in the saddle and my lower legs always go out of position, so affecting my balance especially when rising trot. I have found that however my seat and stirrups are adjusted the ride is never comfortable and the Wintec saddle on the horse is rock hard; almost like riding on a block of concrete, being slightly demotivated and going forward I decided to try another riding school and a different horse to see.
The horse riding at the new school could have not been more different, the saddle was incredibly comfortable, and my balance and leg positioning was spot on and I did not feel that my legs were being torn off after constantly trying to correct an unnatural position, generally my seat in the leather saddle felt much more secure.
The Wintec saddle I understand is made of a synthetic type material and the one at the new school is made of leather. The stirrup positions on the two saddles are completely different, on the Wintec you have to force your leg into an unnatural position to apply leg aids and on the leather saddle, you hardly have to move your leg at all as the position is far more natural, the leather saddle gave a far superior and safer ride.
I am now in the process of changing riding schools but am curious to know if Is there is some problem with Wintex saddles giving an exceptionally hard ride and forcing riders into a slightly unbalanced forward position. :)

JFTDWS

Visit site
I think Wintecs (and Thorogoods) are genuinely evil - I would have to saw bits off myself and glue them back on in different places to ride in them respectably.

Not because they're synthetic, though - the leather variants which are similar shapes are no better - it's just how they're designed.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Completely agree
I was gifted a horse and she came with her wintec saddle.. well, I managed to sit in it to hack out going away from home but by the time we were heading back I had to get off and walk. I can't stand them!

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
There is a whole thread started by chaps 89 about how saddles can make it much harder, even for experienced riders to ride well, very often the stirrup bars are in the wrong place, some saddle throw either too far back or too far forwards.

Have you told the old RS why you have changed to a different one?

sjp1

Visit site
If you find it uncomfortable, I would think the horse does too - lots of people use synthetic saddles I know, for me - I just never understood how changing the gullet at the front would actually change the gullet all the way through to the back - I am not a fan.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
There are some better Wintecs in the newer ranges. The 500 wide for example.
I got a couple of pro riders to sit on my mare last week, both were actually complimentary about the saddle (for a plastic job), both are types to honestly call a spade a spade.
Currently, this is the only saddle in my collection to fit this mare so needs must.

I admit that I used to hate them, bars in wrong place and uncomfortable at best.
This current one I picked up last spring, is actually jolly useful and comfortable!

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
If you find it uncomfortable, I would think the horse does too - lots of people use synthetic saddles I know, for me - I just never understood how changing the gullet at the front would actually change the gullet all the way through to the back - I am not a fan.

It can't, in fact there are virtually no saddles that can be adjusted in this way, though some can have components changed eg Wow. However, a horse's spine doesn't get wider, so this is not needed if the horse gets wider at the front anyway, though people mention it a lot. What WILL be needed is a flatter tree, a wider pommel and twist in many cases, and potentially a wider seat....all this means a different tree ie a different saddle, and having a changeable headplate won't change that.

I find that a well fitted leather saddle is usually an absolute revelation to someone who's been riding in a synthetic saddle, but even changing to a wooden tree from a plastic (eg from Kent and Masters, shaped very much like the Thorowgood) can help hugely too.

Bar placement suitability will depend on the rider, some will find them okay, others less so. Block placement similarly, seat depth etc, so being synthetic isn't a deal breaker, the saddle may still suit some riders and I do know some fitters and trainers who feel that Wintecs are better for the rider than the TG. I'm no great fan of either but they can work in some cases.