Unicorn Bruce - *pics* & LONG update

nikkimariet

Visit site
Yikes, didn't mean it to come across like that, just meant wiggling the bits around sometimes helps! I just find if a horse becomes heavy in the double, switching back to the snaffle usually helps!!! Was not implying anything about your riding!!! lol absent mindedness on my part, anyhow clearly not that, didn't realise your girl had been riding him a snaffle!

In fairness to you, that is all I thought you meant to begin with, so was rather confused by the slightly catty response! I suppose it is easy for things to get misinterpreted on here.

Sorry, it was not meant as a catty response, not in the slightest. Yes it is easy to get misinterpreted - having had my head bitten off several times on it I apologise, it wasn't meant in a narky nasty way!! :eek:

I know what you mean, in the sense of keeping them fresh in the mouth don't let them get dependent or used to one bit in particular and bored of it. But yes, I do occassionally ride him in a snaffle and did over Easter. But my point that I was trying to make with regards to all bitting related questions and suggestions is that he gets ridden in both a snaffle and a double, these have both been changed to alternatives and it is clear that whilst 'something' is bothering him, he still prefers his old bits of both the snaffle and the double :)

nikkimariet

Visit site
I'm not having a dig per se, but I am confused.

He's not in pain according to your poking and prodding, fine.

But, he's not right. You know it, you feel it and you can see it, but you won't get the vet out soonest, rather wait a week to see if he comes right with more work.

I may be soft, etc. etc. etc. (I'm sure some on here could find words to suit), but if he were mine, my vet would be out to check him over and take bloods. I'd rather the cost than having a horse that usually looks and feels pretty good, feeling like he does at the moment.

As I said, not a dig as such, though reading back it probably comes over that way, but definitely confused.

Hat issue aside ;) I find you to be a knowledgeable and helpful person and I do get what you're trying to say and it doesn't come as a dig to me because I know you're only trying to help :) But we are trying to figure out if this is a schooling issue. Me and the young girl that rides him ride in totally different styles and warm up differently. So this week will hopefully show any fault on *either* of our behalves (behalfs?? sorry, no spellchecker on this laptop!)

We are not loading him on with more work to try and pressure him, if you like, into becoming usual happy try hard Bruce. Yesterday I did a session of warm up. That was our session, a warm up and cool down..... LY either way. SI either way. Walk, trot, canter both ways. Couple transitions. Couple halts.....Really long and low in case there's some part of him that hasn't been warmed up/down properly recently.

My two top options for all this now is a, a virus and equally b, a tweaked muscle (from schooling, rolling, lying down or pratting about in the field by way of encouragement of CS!!)

I'm not going to start jumping him and galloping him - I want to see if a schooling issue can be recognized and if so, resolved. If nothing by end of week, vet out. Bloods and bute most likely. And hopefully, await results that will tell us something!

Last edited:

CrazyMare

Visit site
I haven't read all the replies, BUT, this is really interesting to read.

Holz has been very much the same lately, including stopping at jumps, then crashing into one. VERY out of character.

Now, I think you are local to me - you go to VV & Brooksby, which are close, hence drawing that conclusion.....I wonder if there is a virus going round locally? Last 'social outing' for us was Aylesford in May, but others on the yard have been out & about all over the place.

My 3yr old has also had a swollen face, that I spoke to Jane @ Chine House about, but no temp. Now OH's TB has a lump on his face too that is puffy. I am waiting for Lucielle from Chine to ring me back today.

nikkimariet

Visit site
I haven't read all the replies, BUT, this is really interesting to read.

Holz has been very much the same lately, including stopping at jumps, then crashing into one. VERY out of character.

Now, I think you are local to me - you go to VV & Brooksby, which are close, hence drawing that conclusion.....I wonder if there is a virus going round locally? Last 'social outing' for us was Aylesford in May, but others on the yard have been out & about all over the place.

My 3yr old has also had a swollen face, that I spoke to Jane @ Chine House about, but no temp. Now OH's TB has a lump on his face too that is puffy. I am waiting for Lucielle from Chine to ring me back today.

Yes in the Melton area! Brooksby just up the road! Last outing for Bruce with me was VV 1st May roughly. He got taken for schooling session with young girl to Blaby and then Hinckley.... Could be going around yes.

Bruce I think gets horsey hayfever and usually goes a little puffy above his eyes around this time of year - admittedly this time it is a little earlier than usual....

No temp for Bruce, nothing otherwise obviously wrong other than lethargy and acting like he has a hangover....!!!

Willow1306

Visit site
I think there has been a virus going around in the local(ish) area recently. My friends horse is just getting over one that showed up when she took him to VV last time. Nothing more than making him 'not quite right' and a bit lacklustre/lethargic.

Zeus

www.greenlees-equine.com
My lad was like this a few weeks ago, I got the vet out explained all the symptoms and he is suffering from a pollen allergy. Last year he was exactly the same but vet said it was a virus but now I know otherwise.

rowy

Visit site
You have had sooo many suggestions and i hate to add another lol but if he has puffy eyes because of pollen, could he have allergy? And you said he was inconsistent in the contact and heavy, could a nose net possibly help? i could be talking a load of rubbish though :p

Hope you find out whats wrong with him :)

Vickijay

Visit site
Poor unicorn bruce :( I hope its nothing serious. When one of mine was lacking a bit of umfh I started giving him some propel, might be worth trying giving him a blob of that each day, it made mine into a naughty monkey again and he was deffo flat and lacking in something before. Cant really do any harm and is was only a tenner.

Fingers crossed he feels better soon xxx

Vixen Van Debz

Visit site
The weather means that hayfever season is earlier this year and more severe too: OH has got his fexaphenadine prescription filled out early. If us humans are miserable over the severity, Bruce could be feeling it more than usual too! Hope you get an answer soon 80)

NinjaPony

Visit site
Sorry but I really think vet would be the first thing I would do. Once illness pain etc had been ruled out then I would school, change routine etc. He doesn't look happy at all.
Hoep you get to the bottom of it.

NicoleS_007

Visit site
Aww poor brucey, hope it is something easily sorted and hes back on form asap!! Strangley enough my mare wasnt her usual forward, spooky self a few weeks ago and just didnt feel right. I was having to nag at her to get her to move!! So i started her on Pink powder and hacked her all weekend (just in walk though), rode her in the school this morning and she was back to her usual spooky forward bound self :) So with her i think it was more arena bordem as she does love getting out and seeing new things. Im not saying thats whats wrong with B, as you's do alot more interesting manovers in the arena than baby pony lol But hopefully it is something simple to fix :) Iv missed Unicorn Brucey updates :( We need them more often ;)

nikkimariet

Visit site
Rowy - he does wear a nosenet when the flies are out. We are currently (shock horror) growing his whiskers back to see if that helps pollen/fly issues)!

Nicole - He gets a fair bit of variation in his work, he's the sort of horse than can amuse himself with the sounds of his own farts.....!! We don't drum through the same thing every day week in week out. Hacking, field work, road work, schooling and proper work. I get what you're saying though but I don't think he's sour or stale etc the change in him wasn't gradual. It was one week he was at his best ever and the next he was at his worst ever.....

NP - Sorry, but how am I meant to know how he really is unless I ride him? He is a little bit slower in the stable and less cuddly at mo but other than that no change, so how am I meant to know if there is any change for the better or worse unless I get on and ride?

Willow - yes, another HHO user has said that they think there is something going around so thinking there is deffo truth to that!

NinjaPony

Visit site
NP - Sorry, but how am I meant to know how he really is unless I ride him? He is a little bit slower in the stable and less cuddly at mo but other than that no change, so how am I meant to know if there is any change for the better or worse unless I get on and ride?
Of course riding him was necessary, but now you have ridden him, and said yourself that he is not right, felt awful etc, what I would do was get the vet out, to rule out any medical issues. I am not you, and you are of course free to do whatever you think is best, but I was just giving you my opinion on what I would do in your situation.

Maddie2412

Visit site
just a quick thought when i was jounger we got sent a really nice little jumper was only 15hh but jumped grand prix had a good life only jumped once a week schooled flat twice and hacked or lunged the rest but had just lost all his spark they sent him to us just to see if we could make anything of it and sell him on for even a fraction of his true worth we turned him away for a month then hacked him for 2(luckily the owners were very patient and willing to do anything for him. The break really helped him get straight i think hacking will really improve things if you can manage just that for a while does wonders!! (he's now still jumping grand prix again even at 17 and winning machine just only trains out in fields :) ) guess you may have tried this just an idea! good luck...! x

diggerbez

Visit site
oh no...sorry to hear bruce isn't feeling his best... agree with you that its worth giving it another week to see if its a schooling problem...at least that way you can escalate things quicker with the vets if you do need them. my guess would be a virus or low blood count but i wouldn't rule out something like his hocks- perhaps he's getting to that age where he might need a bit of maintenance? nothing serious enough to make him lame but enough to make him a bit sore/not himself?

CrazyMare

Visit site
Well further to what I put earlier, I've spoken with my vet - she is coming on Thursday to take some bloods. Will PM you when shes been if you like.

I work in Melton, and travel up and down the A6006 every day, so certainly sounds like its something in the area....

NicoleS_007

Visit site
Oh no i didnt mean it in a way that your boring him in the school!! I didnt mean it to come across that way if thats how it sounds, i more ment hopefully its easily fixed not that hes bored, Sorry ... Thats why i said "Im not saying thats whats wrong with B, as you's do alot more interesting manovers in the arena than baby pony lol But hopefully it is something simple to fix" I am sorry if iv upset you in anyway as it is rather worrying anyway when they feel off.

nikkimariet

Visit site
M - have considered stiff hinds, partic with crappy weather yes

CM - yes, would love to hear the verdict (hopefully it's a good one, or at least an easily solved one!)

DB - def getting to that age where it's something I think about, flexion tests from us have been 100%, trot up and circling on gravel and tarmac have shown 100% soundess. Unless I have to have the vet out soon, or for one of the other buggers, will keep a mental note to ask vet to check on next jabs update!

LM - haha you would have thought practically 5 years of walk and trot hacking with my mum would have stopped him from getting sour ;)

NP - I get what you're saying yes but am clearly not getting my point across so will leave it at that :)

Nicole - haha no that's not how I took it, honestly! Knew what you meant! Don't worry yourself, you haven't upset me at all! :D I would love it if I were boring him - I can think of plenty of tricks we could practise to mix it up!

Last edited:

jaspejoo

Visit site
Just been looking through your past posts, and Bruce seems lovely :) I have to say, I am v.envious of your ever changing numnahs and coordinating outfits :) I am suuper jealous! Also, how do you manage to get your hair so perfect every time :)