Update - EMS/Cushings/Laminitis

tristar

Visit site
I'm sorry you don't know the back ground and I am not going to comment other than say thank you. Whatever I do say I will get jumped on and my mental health is too fragile to go through all this again, I nearly had a breakdown previously, I can't put myself through this again. thanks.

I did wonder if it was possible for a horse who really is not exhibiting ANY of the symptoms of laminitis to have very very mild laminitis or Cushings even though I doubted it. Again just to rule everything out and do my very best for my horse who I love so very very much

yes i believe it is, sorry you are so worried about your horse, hope some resolution comes soon x

Birker2020

Visit site
yes i believe it is, sorry you are so worried about your horse, hope some resolution comes soon x
Thank you for your kindness. I am hoping to get the ACTH test result today and then only another 9 days to go until treatment for the coffin joint :) I wish I could have afforded it earlier but I'm really strapped for cash at the moment. I've also run out of bute and need to spend £70 on that as well as the £350 for the treatment. Horses bleed you dry lol

Birker2020

Visit site
Arrgh just rang vet and the test result not been sent off yet. Doesn't matter I'm not in any rush but was kind of hoping it would be sent through by now.

LeneHorse

Visit site
For info, my vet was supposed to be taking a blood sample for cushing's test last thursday but she postponed it to yesterday as she said the labs would be closed over holiday weekend. So that probably explains the delay.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
There were no postal deliveries on Good Friday or Easter Monday either. I hope that the sample is not compromised if it was in transit for longer than ideal. I usually get the Cushing's bloods taken in the morning early in the week, so that it gets the best chance of arriving at the lab and the analysis starting the day after it was taken.

Last edited:

Sandstone1

Visit site
Most vets wont do tests that need to be dealt with quickly near a weekend or bank holiday as the labs will be closed and sometimes depending on the test samples will be useless if left sitting around for a few days. Hopefully this is not the case here but I would always try to make sure things like this done early on in week if possible so you have the best chance of getting the results back as soon as possible. Its worrying waiting for test results as it is.

Birker2020

Visit site
Most vets wont do tests that need to be dealt with quickly near a weekend or bank holiday as the labs will be closed and sometimes depending on the test samples will be useless if left sitting around for a few days. Hopefully this is not the case here but I would always try to make sure things like this done early on in week if possible so you have the best chance of getting the results back as soon as possible. Its worrying waiting for test results as it is.
The vet didn't get back until late so the sample wasn't sent off that day. Never mind it's sorted now, so hopefully I will find out later.
It was all very last minute to be honest. I managed to get an appointment for after work on the same day. I normally have Fridays off so would have had the vet the following day if I'd had no success.

I wasn't even sure I was going to go ahead with the test as there didn't seem much point. I'd had the vet out for the increased lameness which I now know was as a result of silly horse going round and round in circles distressed when turned out at night. But it's a good point about what you said about picking your day for tests like this and I will bear in mind what you've said if I ever have to repeat the process. Thanks for your help.