Update on lameness with video - cellulitis question

Marnie

Visit site
Previous thread - https://forums.horseandhound.co.uk/threads/lameness-with-video.793329/ .

A question about cellulitis - my mare has now had 3 doses of antibiotics (am and pm yesterday, am today) and 3 doses of bute (injection yesterday morning, 1 sachet yesterday pm and am today). I am not expecting her to have suddenly become sound and the swelling to have disappeared after such a short time, but the swelling has got a bit worse and is travelling upwards - her knee and above the knee on the inside is swollen now, and has got worse since this morning. I am cold hosing as much as I can.

I am waiting for the vet to call me back, but does anyone have experience of cellulitis continuing to develop up the leg once treatment has started? I sort of expected that swelling might go down the leg, but not upwards for some reason!

Any help or experiences welcomed - thanks!

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
you may need more/different ABs.
I have had it in my face twice and needed 2 courses and different kinds to get on top of it.

Goldenstar

Visit site
As above it can be very tricky to treat .
its a potentially life threatening condition if it all goes wrong I would want the vet to be really proactive .
Hospitalisation can be needed if it gets out of control.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Previous thread - https://forums.horseandhound.co.uk/threads/lameness-with-video.793329/ .

A question about cellulitis - my mare has now had 3 doses of antibiotics (am and pm yesterday, am today) and 3 doses of bute (injection yesterday morning, 1 sachet yesterday pm and am today). I am not expecting her to have suddenly become sound and the swelling to have disappeared after such a short time, but the swelling has got a bit worse and is travelling upwards - her knee and above the knee on the inside is swollen now, and has got worse since this morning. I am cold hosing as much as I can.

I am waiting for the vet to call me back, but does anyone have experience of cellulitis continuing to develop up the leg once treatment has started? I sort of expected that swelling might go down the leg, but not upwards for some reason!

Any help or experiences welcomed - thanks!

Sadly, yes. I lost my IDx to cellulitis which became sepsis/septicaemia, while she was on her 2nd course of a-bs. I don't think she was given a large enough dose at first but she probably should have had a different prescription for the 2nd course, too. Please insist that your vet takes decisive action.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Yes, had one at work that had it and it took over £4,500 of antibiotics/visits to clear. That was not including any hospitalisation.

They tried the cheaper antibiotics first, but when his legs split, they gave some heavy duty ones and it cleared up. He was sound and fine afterwards.

Marnie

Visit site
Thanks all - that's really helpful and glad I erred on the side of caution and phoned the vet - although still waiting for a callback.

Thanks again!

Marnie

Visit site
Thank you to everyone for all their help. I spoke to the vet on day 2 and she advised upping the bute and then starting to walk her the next day. By the next morning, the leg had reduced significantly and she was able to flex her knee and had lost the 'swing' out to the side. The vet phoned me to check how she was and advised that she could be turned out, the video below was last night (day 4) - as you can see she is feeling better, although I did hold my breath as she went off... Normally she is very quiet to turnout - except the time I want her to be! The leg is still slightly up down the back of the cannon bone and around the knee and she has finished the antibiotics tonight - I am going to contact the vet in the morning to see if she needs to continue these until the leg has gone down completely.

Thank you again!

Zero00000

Visit site
Yes, 16.2 healthy tb mare, electric wiring burn/cut, quickly moved to celluliti, after some bad advise from our usual vet, who admitted faukt.

She was non weight bearing, quickly transported to vets for xrays and mri, found to have cellulitis after cultures.

Thankfully she was already at the vets and they hit her hard with IV antibiotics.

In horspital for 5 day's, spa treatment twice a day, home with a pressure boot and antibiotics, she recovered quite quickly from that.

Good luck

Marnie

Visit site
Yes, 16.2 healthy tb mare, electric wiring burn/cut, quickly moved to celluliti, after some bad advise from our usual vet, who admitted faukt.

She was non weight bearing, quickly transported to vets for xrays and mri, found to have cellulitis after cultures.

Thankfully she was already at the vets and they hit her hard with IV antibiotics.

In horspital for 5 day's, spa treatment twice a day, home with a pressure boot and antibiotics, she recovered quite quickly from that.

Good luck

Thank you - fingers crossed we have avoided all that. Glad yours recovered well.