Update on 'numptys on my yard'

JDChaser

Visit site
Just incase anyone's remotely curious as to how things are now!
blush.gif
(old thread is here http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/5165640/page/0/fpart/1/vc/1 )

Well, like i said at the end of that thread a man who keeps 3 horses on the same block as mine had a bit of a screaming fight with one of the people feeding the horses, after he caught her going round with a barrow load of haylege and putting it in people's stables ... !!
mad.gif
mad.gif
She told the YO, who then 'told off' my friend for shouting at the woman, fair enough, and he also told the woman that she is not allowed to feed any of the other horses.

Cut to this afternoon. I had the afternoon off work (yippee
tongue.gif
) and had lessons on both my horses this afternoon before putting them both to bed about 4pm, just as the woman was arriving along with another new livery. She then said to me 'no need for the signs, ive been ordered to let your horses starve'
crazy.gif
I'd put a sign outside each of my stables, saying 'Please do not feed me, i'm on a strict diet! Thank you'. I asked her what she meant by 'starved' and she mumbled something about them having empty nets on a morning (which is interesting as im usually at the yard about half 5, where as shes never there before 8 so how she'd know..) and that 'what with them being thoroughbreds, they need feeding more, don't you know' in a patronising little voice
mad.gif

Anyway, i saw red a bit and asked her what she thought my hanging scales were for, and would she like to see my vet bills for colic? And would she like to know how long i've looked after him and how long i've now kept him from colicing? And would she like to speak to my vet, whom i worked out my feeding plan with? Would she liked to come and see my horses work 3 times a week on the gallops, which i doubt they'd be able to do whilst being malnourished!! She just kind of mumbled sorry and walked off. Her friend looked like she was about to start so i just asked her what HER problem is, and she said that i shouldn't go snitching to the YO just because they gave all the horses treats every now and then. Red mist descends again
blush.gif
tongue.gif
and i told her in no uncertain terms to never feed my horses anything, that i don't want my gelding reverting back to being nippy and colicy. and that i don't trust their horsesense enough to know what is safe for a horse to eat! She went bright red and said fine, you keep your miserable horses without any treats then, no wonder they don't come over to you in the field'
shocked.gif
I actually almost laughed, what an insult
tongue.gif
grin.gif

YO has put a big laminated sign on the notice board saying extra haylege should not be fed to horses without the owner's permission, but otherwise i haven't seen him since the other night. Hopefully this is the end of it?? I'm hoping that all the new people on the yard get the message that i don't give my horses treats (especially my gelding) for the right reasons. Regardless of whether they come over to me in the field or not
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
grin.gif

Spudlet

Visit site
I missed the original thread, so I would just like to say, in relation to these randoms going around feeding horses that don't belong to them all over the place, WTF???????????????

Is it any wonder there are obese horses rolling and wibbling all over the place when eejits like these equate food to love and can't see any other way of relating to their horses?????????

Gah!

JDChaser

Visit site
you sound like you're on my wavelength lol. They think that the horses come over to them in the field out of 'love' ... yeah, love for the treat youve got in your hand!

Lippyx

Essex... In my bubble, floating above reality!!
Visit site
Some people will never understand I'm afraid!! No one gives treats to horse on our yard, without asking first!! Although when I had my last horse the girl next to me use to give her, her horses left over feed as she would "ask" for it, and she couldn't say no, could she!!!! I just told her that she really shouldn't do that due to colic risks, and that was that!!

Spudlet

Visit site
Drives me bonkers!
tongue.gif
blush.gif

IMO obesity is worse than emaciation, given the long-term health problems it can so easily cause, and someone who feeds their horse into a state of obesity is as guilty of neglect as someone who lets their horse starve
mad.gif
So the idea of some eejit ruining someone's carefully though-out diet like that makes me want to explode on their behalf... lemme at'em
mad.gif
a010.gif

rascal

Visit site
My horses very often dont come over to me in the field, and i DO feed them odd treats. Not the youngsters though.
We had the same roblem with a family of novices sharing our out grown pony, feeding treats all day to our then two year old. They used to buy extra feed as well as we didnt give them enough! Funny, the pony has been with us 10yrs and is still very much alive! Our old boy weve had 24yrs and hes still being ridden, if they were so neglected how come we still have them? We give a high fibre low sugar diet (speedi beet, high fibre cubes, happy hoof) as they are hardy native types,they bought cheap mix and apple chaff coated in sugar as it was cheaper!! They now have their own pony poor thing, i wish it luck, it will need it!

Chico Mio

Antedeluvian
Visit site
I'm just gobsmacked that anybody thinks they have the right to give another person's horse anything to eat. I'm sure it was said on the first thread, you wouldn't feed their children endless sweets or give them a sandwich 'because they are a bit thin, you know'; or stuff their dog full of treats, why are horse different.

WishfulThinker

Just up from that street on the right.....
Visit site
Those folk probably dont know what a fit horse looks like. I had my cob lean one winter, but we were doing about 8 -10 hours a week riding, 2 of which I would say were fast hard work - jumping lessons. He could do a 90min lesson and hardly sweat or be puffing.

Yet someone told me he looked 'poor'. Which was funny as he was full of beans, bright eyed and had a shiney coat! You could only see where his ribs were when he was puffing as it was his muscles you saw.

JDChaser

Visit site
Yes i believe the same. I like to see horses not only a good weight, but fit as well. I think it's a shame to see a sound horse not being ridden often, although i know not everyone agrees with that!

Black_Horse_White

Visit site
I'm sorry but not all horses who are fed treats are obese. Mine certainly is not and he has them. In moderation they are fine. As for feeding other peoples horses it is wrong. It's no ones business but your own, as is there business if they feed there horses treats. Unless it's a matter of cruelty and the horse is obese. Only a vet can decide that.

JDChaser

Visit site
One of the numptys said my mare looked ' a bit ribby' a while back... whilst she was practically bent in half trying to scratch her bum. I'd be a bit worried if you couldn't see their ribs in situations like that!!

JDChaser

Visit site
I'm not saying that, i'm just saying i don't want my horse fed them by others
smile.gif
My mare will get the odd treat, say after we've been competing, usually put in her feed bowl to avoid nippiness, it's more my gelding who's on a very strict diet
smile.gif

aimeejay

Visit site
Just because their horses may be pampered fatties does not mean yours has to be one! Humphf... people?! Know it alls! Hope they stop feeding your horses and everything is fine!
smile.gif

Prince33Sp4rkle

Visit site
just to say-i treat mine too often probably, but they dont nip. and they are my horses on my yard so i can do whatever i want. but it would NEVER occur to me to treat someone elses horse without asking first, and even then it would only be a mates horse after a hack or a show, not for no good reason!

i prefer my horses rounder rather than slimmer but again, unless it was an rspca case would NEVER comment on other peoples horses, much less add extra feed.

this isnt so much about horse care, as manners and boundaries!

Charmaine18

Visit site
I really hope that's the end of it for you - what awful people to completely ignore your (and your vet's!) wishes. I feel so lucky that my yard is run by experienced horsewomen who wouldn't take that kind of behaviour from anyone! Feeding your horse without your permission could just be ignorance, but continuing to do it deliberately when they've been politely told about the risks is just rude and unpleasant.

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
Started a reply and the 'pooter ate it!

Well said OP! I can't begin to say how spitting I'd be if it happened to mine.

If anyone fed LL anything they'd be in for a hiding - he's highly sensitive to sugars and goes down with laminitis at so much as a hint of sugar so NO CARROTS, APPLES, POLOS IN FACT NOTHING THAT I DON'T SAY IS OKAY.

JDChaser

Visit site
Thanks
smile.gif
I'm only hoping they don't go crying to the YO and say i shouted or something (which i didnt) or that they don't try and cause trouble, or do things to my horse??
crazy.gif
Fingers crossed they've got the message and i can get on with things in peace
grin.gif

L

lilym

I had the same problems on a yard many years ago.....numpties feeding my laminitic mare coarse mix - I hit the roof!! Why must people interfere?? The problem with most livery yards is that too many people spend too much time minding everyone's business but their own.

Persephone

Visit site
I know of exactly the same thing happening.

Pony had to be shot. The owner was cruel for keeping her on a Laminitic regime apparently.

I could have shot them myself
mad.gif

frannieuk

Visit site
It really irritates me when people think they have the right to feed other people's horses. When I first got my mare and she was the newbie on the yard I think she was the recipient of many treats (I rarely feed treats to my own horse and never to others) and she very quickly started nipping. I put a sign on her door, but people STILL kept giving her treats because "one won't hurt / the others are having them" etc. Luckily the YM is very good and put a stop to it as soon as I brought it to her attention and funnily enough, my horse doesn't nip anymore, nuzzle for food or bang the door. I'm glad your YO has helped, but I sympathise with you - it's a shame when you have to take things the next level up because of the ignorance of others.

annret

Visit site
I think it's probably just what they needed.

Unrelated, but I shouted very loudly at the people next door when they were giving us trouble for the umpteenth time & we haven't had any problems since.

Genuine rage can teach a lesson where rational discussion won't!

Snowysadude

Visit site
I just found out (been home for 2 weeks horse on full livery) that my boy got choke from some idiot feeding him a scoop of pony nuts (literally in the scoop not in a ball or mixed with a feed or anything)! Wanted to kill them, especially the YO for not even bothering to tell me this happened - just found out tonight over the phone! She is paying the vet bill as it was her bloody staff that did it the forkin idiots!!
wink.gif
!

But hey a bit off topic but still people shouldnt feed horses they dont know as horses get ill/allergys even being fed "horsey food". Numpties out there!

Echo Bravo

Visit site
The YO should put a sign up in big letters saying that horses should not be fed with out owner permission and that the YO should realise that he is libel if other people are feeding you horse with out permission and something goes badly wrong, after all he is licenced isn't he