Update on 'numptys on my yard'

seabiscuit

Visit site
How unbelievable!!

One of my last horses would have DIED if he had been given treats or haylage- he was so badly sugar intolerant that even a blade of grass gave him bad colic.

Hope it doesnt happen again! Livery yards are a nightmare.

JDChaser

Visit site
oh my, that's unreal.. thank goodness my lad isn't that bad
crazy.gif
What happened to the horse?

monkeymad

Visit site
Agree livery yards with a large group of women together are not a good recipe. One of my horses colicked regularly and on vet's advice had to be fed small quantites of very soft meadow hay, only one of the other liveries thought it was cruel that he didn't have a huge haynet of the usual hay and used to check a section over his stable door every night!! I now am very fortunate to rent my own yard, it may be a bit lonely at times, but the pros far out weigh the cons and I can manage my horses how I want - not as other people think they should be!!

Archangel

Normal, 10 cats ago
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
after he caught her going round with a barrow load of haylege and putting it in people's stables ... !!

[/ QUOTE ]

Unbelievable
crazy.gif
mad.gif

I would have run her through with a pitch fork
mad.gif

Rudey

Visit site
This infuriates the hell out of me!
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

At my old yard there was a novice family that fed everyone's horses carrots every night. Sammi started biting, I couldn't understand why at first.... and then I found out what they were doing. They shortly left and low and behold, Sammi stopped biting!
grin.gif

Moved to a new yard, and Sammi started his nipping behaviour again.... turned out a bloke up there was tit-bitting all of the horses to make friends with them. I've expressed my feelings/concerns on it, but he doesn't seem to appreciate what problems he causes for me as my friends mare can be fed treat after treat and not effect her - so he thinks I'm talking out of my backside!!! *Rolls eyes*

Then, in January I bought an unhandled 10 month old colt. Strenuously put my point across NO TIT BITTING.... I had a well mannered yearling this summer, although very food orientated (but only feed bucket wise as I do not feed from the hand or rustle 'sweetie wrappers').... he NEVER went for your hands or expected food if he heard a ruslte of a wrapper.

Broke my ankle in July. OH has been looking after my horses and knows my feelings on this. 6 weeks after my operation, I went to see the horses on my crutches. My yearling was really bolshy and was grabbing at my hands, managed to get hold of my crutch handle and pull it from underneath me!!! He got a smack... but what upset me most was I have had to punish him for a bad habit a human has created for my horse
frown.gif

My friend went to worm him, as soon as he heard the box being undone, he thought 'food' and was really bad with her too. I know this is something I have not caused, also I know how well mannered he was before my accident. Now I face the problem of trying to get this terrible habit out of my bolshy, impressionable youngster. I hope it doesn't progress to him bitinf people, getting slapped and becoming head shy. He is a lovely horse, shame to ruin him
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

I would just like to take this opportunity to thank the busy bodies that went against my wishes and have created my horses bad habits with food.... I hope they bite you!!
smirk.gif

OP, sorry for the hi-jack and long post, but, I really really appreciate your anger on this subject! xx
grin.gif

PhoebeandOla

Visit site
I feel your pain and am glad you are getting it sorted.I had helpful people like that on my old yard too, every time I got there I was told your horse looks sad so we gave her a treat, your horse looks hungry so we fed her our own food or your bed wasnt good enough so we have put more old dusty hay in so your horse now has a snotty nose and you had better call the vet. What did they expect me to say? Thank you?
I really do dislike livery yards.
Best of luck to you Jackdaws!

LindyLulu

Visit site
Hope it's the end of it for you. pet hate no.1 is people who insist on feeding too much crap to their horses
mad.gif
GGGRRRRRRR
mad.gif
glad it's sorted
smile.gif

catshark88

Visit site
I've got a pony that has had laminitis in the past and so I keep her slim now (working closely with my vet). Note slim, not poor, thin, etc, etc. I used to get so much pressure from others at the yard to feed her far more. Now she lives in my garden and I can feed her the way she needs!

brighteyes

Pooh-Bah
Visit site
I think (having read your original thread) that you were a good deal more polite and restrained than I have been.

Interfering idiotic numpties I'd say.

I'd go round and take their haynets down, let all their horses out in the fields, swap their rugs to suit my preferences and swap all the bits for snaffles because, again, what I think is paramount - regardless of the owners' choice or reasons for doing what they do. And I wouldn't expect any criticism from them
smirk.gif

As pedantic says at every opportunity NOA
mad.gif

soph21

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
after he caught her going round with a barrow load of haylege and putting it in people's stables ... !!

[/ QUOTE ]

Unbelievable
crazy.gif
mad.gif

I would have run her through with a pitch fork
mad.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

PMSL!!!
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

I bet it felt great telling whats what! Good on ya mate
grin.gif
grin.gif

Cobbysmum

Visit site
Hate people giving my horses treats, I never do and I can honestly say none of them are difficult to catch. But..... my neighbours and some dog walkers insist on bringing carrots for them and I have told them politely and not so politely to stop as I am out at work all day and if one of them gets choke I am not likely to know until too late. They think it will make my horses like them! Derrrr yes they will like them, and anyone else who brought them a carrot!

Sophiie

Visit site
I must admit, I do feed the mare next door to me - her owner comes down after the "school run" to turn her out. By the time I leave, she has finished her night nets- so I asked the owner if I could chuck in the spare, that my spoilt brat won't eat as it has touched the floor!

I'd never feed treats or mix without asking though!

Glad you got it sorted - hopefully, that'll be the end of it
grin.gif

_April_

Visit site
OMG Jackdaws I have been following this saga and all I can say is

WELL DONE

I am feeling red mist and rage on your behalf lol and it's very cathartic to learn that you have vented
grin.gif

I hope that sorts it xx

kendra2705

Visit site
Well done think these should be asked to leave or do a course in horse care that may help as they clearly dont know what they are doing silly twats