Update on Rose

oldie48

Visit site
After consultation with vet I have decided to turn Rose away for several months. She's been on box rest for 5 months now with periods of hand walking, being brought back into work, back onto box rest with no hand walking etc but basically although she is sound the vet isn't convinced she'd stay sound in proper work so she's going to have a long holiday over the winter. I've found a great place for her where she'll be in a small herd of mares, not too far away so I can visit and with an experienced person who knows all about rehabbing injuries etc. There's plenty of flat land and unless it is exceptionally wet she'll stay out. I'm hoping she'll be able to hack and school in the future but if she can't then she can stay where she is on retirement. I've been slowly cleaning and packing up her things which I've found very sad and goodness what a lot of stuff she has!
I've had a lot of difficult stuff going on in my life so I've been missing riding so much but a friend is letting me hack out her mare and on Thursday I'm going to school her gelding whom I've ridden before, both horses are competing at adv med so I'm so lucky to have a couple of well schooled horses to ride as I'm afraid my experience at three riding schools has not been very positive. I paid £80 for a lesson at a "good" place last week, trainer knew her stuff but the horse was so much less than I am used to riding, it was tbh a bit depressing. I know it was a first lesson there and they would have been assessing me but the horse didn't feel entirely sound on the left rein and tripped several times, absolutely no trot or canter. I have been completely spoiled! Oh and to cap it all, I checked out the lorry prior to moving Rose and the front brakes are binding. It never rains etc etc!

oldie48

Visit site
You were charged £80 for a lesson and the only thing you did was walk?! I'm sorry about Rose too, I hope she comes right for you.
Ha ha, no, sorry when I said no trot or canter, what I meant is that the horse had so little movement in trot and canter it was barely perceptible. I've never ridden anything like it! Went into trot and canter very easily, actually relatively forward for a school horse but there was just no movement. Is it because I'm used to riding something with pretty good paces?

Mule

Visit site
I know what you mean. The beast has lovely paces, his canter in particular. Cantering on other horses is always a let down.

TPO

Visit site
Sorry to hear that Rose isn't ready for work yet. Your plan to turn away sounds like a good one. Hopefully she returns to full work after a prolonged break.

I hope that you enjoy riding your friends horses and that it becomes a regular occurance for you

Take care

Trouper

Visit site
Fingers crossed that a long rest and Mother Nature sorts Rose out. It seems that you have made a good decision.

I share your experience of RS horses. Even a well-recommended centre near me had me on tired and bored horses. I know it is all part of riding skill to get a horse moving correctly but I did not appreciate paying for the "privilege" of trying to get them going before we could even start on me.

oldie48

Visit site
Fingers crossed that a long rest and Mother Nature sorts Rose out. It seems that you have made a good decision.

I share your experience of RS horses. Even a well-recommended centre near me had me on tired and bored horses. I know it is all part of riding skill to get a horse moving correctly but I did not appreciate paying for the "privilege" of trying to get them going before we could even start on me.
It's so sad isn't it? this is why it's so difficult to move on from RS horses, they are just so different from any that I have owned and I've been very fortunate in having well schooled horses that move well but are basically safe even if a little quirky at times!

oldie48

Visit site
Oh that must be gutting for you. What did she do*what was the diagnosis? Hope a bit of dr green helps!
slight damage to collateral ligament in left hock, prognosis for a complete return to work was v good but although she recovered and came back into work and scanned clear, she started to have heat in the hock and it became quite swollen which has not resolved with rest or walking. She passed a flexion test and trotted sound on a circle and we started hand walking again but the hock still doesn't look right. Vet is BS performance vet and I totally trust his judgement that she needs to be given more time.

atropa

Visit site
So sorry to read this, always enjoyed reading your posts about what you had been up to, she's a lovely mare. Fingers crossed for you both.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
fingers crossed rose recovers and you can get back to riding her...i know what you mean about RS horses, .i went for a hack a little while ago as i now dont have my own horse and missed riding... nice enough horse not as forward as i like but realised it was a RS horse, when we trotted the movement seemed to be up and down with a tiny stride, a very odd feeling as i have been used to long striding warmbloods, i wont be going to a RS again

palo1

Visit site
slight damage to collateral ligament in left hock, prognosis for a complete return to work was v good but although she recovered and came back into work and scanned clear, she started to have heat in the hock and it became quite swollen which has not resolved with rest or walking. She passed a flexion test and trotted sound on a circle and we started hand walking again but the hock still doesn't look right. Vet is BS performance vet and I totally trust his judgement that she needs to be given more time.

Vet sounds very sensible and horses really are pretty good at healing things when given time so I very much hope that you can bring her back into work after a good rest. So sad for you but it might be the 'quickest' and best way to resolve the injury and give you a break from worry and rehab. I hope things get easier for you all round.

Cragrat

Visit site
Your vet sounds a gem. I really hope the extended field rest works, but I love your obvious love for her - that you have a back up plan in place already, I really hope it isn't needed!

oldie48

Visit site
Vet sounds very sensible and horses really are pretty good at healing things when given time so I very much hope that you can bring her back into work after a good rest. So sad for you but it might be the 'quickest' and best way to resolve the injury and give you a break from worry and rehab. I hope things get easier for you all round.
Yes, he can't scan as there is too much swelling, said we could MRI but says it would only give us more info but treatment would be the same and he did x ray on hock initially and it was fine. He's a believer in giving horses time to recover. When she passed the flexion test and trotted sound he said some would bring her back into work and see how it goes but when I asked him what he'd do, he said give her more time. He's not a cheap vet but he doesn't try to get you to spend money on unnecessary investigations and I genuinely feel he cares more about the horses than the money. I just don't want to be present when she gets turned out for the first time even sedated!

Annagain

Visit site
As frustrating as it sounds, that sounds like a very sensible approach and I'm sure Rose will love her time out at grass. Your vet sounds like a gem. Fingers crossed for a full recovery. At least it's over the winter (although I appreciate you have already missed the summer) I'm sure you won't miss riding her too much when it's blowing a gale and the rain is horizontal!

nikicb

www.facebook.com
I am so sorry to read your latest update. It's such a shame after all the work you put into her when you first got her, and how great she was looking. Keeping everything crossed for you that time and mooching about for a few months in a field is all she needs. Hope she settles well with her new herd.

Alibear

Visit site
I'm sorry things aren't going well at the moment, and I really hope Rose is a good girl in her new turnout home and that good old Dr Green works his magic. Enjoy your friends horses in the meantime, as they sound wonderful.

humblepie

Visit site
Rose is lovely and I hope that her winter break works well. That is a shame re the RS lesson but hopefully you can keep helping your friend with her horses to keep you in the groove.

Fire sign

Visit site
After consultation with vet I have decided to turn Rose away for several months. She's been on box rest for 5 months now with periods of hand walking, being brought back into work, back onto box rest with no hand walking etc but basically although she is sound the vet isn't convinced she'd stay sound in proper work so she's going to have a long holiday over the winter. I've found a great place for her where she'll be in a small herd of mares, not too far away so I can visit and with an experienced person who knows all about rehabbing injuries etc. There's plenty of flat land and unless it is exceptionally wet she'll stay out. I'm hoping she'll be able to hack and school in the future but if she can't then she can stay where she is on retirement. I've been slowly cleaning and packing up her things which I've found very sad and goodness what a lot of stuff she has!
I've had a lot of difficult stuff going on in my life so I've been missing riding so much but a friend is letting me hack out her mare and on Thursday I'm going to school her gelding whom I've ridden before, both horses are competing at adv med so I'm so lucky to have a couple of well schooled horses to ride as I'm afraid my experience at three riding schools has not been very positive. I paid £80 for a lesson at a "good" place last week, trainer knew her stuff but the horse was so much less than I am used to riding, it was tbh a bit depressing. I know it was a first lesson there and they would have been assessing me but the horse didn't feel entirely sound on the left rein and tripped several times, absolutely no trot or canter. I have been completely spoiled! Oh and to cap it all, I checked out the lorry prior to moving Rose and the front brakes are binding. It never rains etc etc!

still standing

Visit site
Sorry to hear about Rose, I know you were both getting on so well and making great progress. Your plan with the vet's recommendation to turn her away for the winter sounds ideal and rest will give the best chance of full recovery, the old ways are often the best. And how much nicer for her to have her rest period out on holiday rather than stabled.
You're lucky to have your friend's horses to ride for now. But for a change, instead of going to a riding school for a lesson, is there any riding school or yard near you which does nice hacks or beach rides or mountain trails or similar? It might be good for the mind to do something very different for a change and if you had a like minded friend to go with, extra fun too.