Urgent advice needed

PapaverFollis

Visit site
For me if a horse can't be ridden AND can't live quietly, relatively cheaply and pretty unobtrusively in a field or as a low maintenance member of the general herd then a PTS is more than justifiable. I've kept two retired horses alongside a riding horse for a number of years previously so understand wanting to keep them going etc. But a horse with multiple issues that isn't able to behave in an appropriate way in a herd makes me think that he's not a happy horse at the moment.

And you are very much allowed to call time on investigations and continued interventions and treatments.

motherof2beasts!

Visit site
No advice but he sounds like a very lucky boy to have an owner who loves him so much - hope you can get to the bottom of his current troubles/find a suitable solution for you both xx

thank you that’s very kind ! I do adore him but he is a major pain in the backside :D

being rig blood tested next week I’m kind of hoping he is as at least then can pin point and he’s not just neurotic!

sport horse

Visit site
I would not spend any more money on anything until you have the blood tests back. If he is a rig and with all his other problems as well as the behaviour, then sadly I think for everyone's safety you may have to make a very hard decision.

motherof2beasts!

Visit site
Lots of useful suggestions . .Could the mare be moved to a different area to see f that makes a difference.

she has moved so they don’t have any direct contact but he is still guarding the fence line nearest to her, but there’s a good few feet between them. She is on her own too so no where else further away she could go!

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I’ve not read through all the replies sorry.
yes, I’ve had a gelding like this. I had no idea because we only ever had geldings and had our own little place at the time. A mare moved into the field adjacent and he turned from wonderful to bloody nightmare in 5 seconds. So much so that I moved them (it had been on the cards but we had only just given a months notice)
He returned to normal within a few days.
I kind of forgot and when daughter wanted to bring a mare home for summer agreed.... not only was he dangerous to the other horses but would charge at us if we tried approaching them.
Again completely separated them, the mare went home and my lovely chilled retired horse came back.

motherof2beasts!

Visit site
I’ve not read through all the replies sorry.
yes, I’ve had a gelding like this. I had no idea because we only ever had geldings and had our own little place at the time. A mare moved into the field adjacent and he turned from wonderful to bloody nightmare in 5 seconds. So much so that I moved them (it had been on the cards but we had only just given a months notice)
He returned to normal within a few days.
I kind of forgot and when daughter wanted to bring a mare home for summer agreed.... not only was he dangerous to the other horses but would charge at us if we tried approaching them.
Again completely separated them, the mare went home and my lovely chilled retired horse came back.

might be searching for gelding only livery yard !

Boulty

Visit site
Some geldings who have been used for breeding / otherwise late cut or riggy in some way just cannot deal with proximity to in season mares. Some can tolerate them in the next field or a few fields away. Some can't have them within a distance they can see, hear or smell them. I know of a horse who was set off by another horse in the field wearing a rug that had recently been worn by a mare.

Going off what you've said & this being the first time you've exposed him to a mare in season I'd strongly suspect that as being the issue.

Is there any way things could be moved about so the mares are as far away as possible (ideally where he can't see or smell them). If not would discuss options with your vet as it must be stressful for him to feel like that & not nice for the other horses either

motherof2beasts!

Visit site
Some geldings who have been used for breeding / otherwise late cut or riggy in some way just cannot deal with proximity to in season mares. Some can tolerate them in the next field or a few fields away. Some can't have them within a distance they can see, hear or smell them. I know of a horse who was set off by another horse in the field wearing a rug that had recently been worn by a mare.

Going off what you've said & this being the first time you've exposed him to a mare in season I'd strongly suspect that as being the issue.

Is there any way things could be moved about so the mares are as far away as possible (ideally where he can't see or smell them). If not would discuss options with your vet as it must be stressful for him to feel like that & not nice for the other horses either

she has moved but sadly where I am is only a small yard so he would always be able to smell her. For the time being he is alone vet is coming on Thursday to do a blood test to check his hormones. I’m on the lookout for a mare less yard !

Goldenstar

Visit site
I would ask the vet if they would consider going him regumate , the stuff you give to mares I had a horse years ago who very similar life was a nightmare of broken fences and broken mares.
A dealer friend suggested trying this and as the vet saw we where in a tight spot where PTS was the only way out ( the horse was sound ) so agreed to try .
The effect was miraculous and the horse stayed with us for the rest of his life .
However if you decide to PTS no one could say it was a bad decision you have gone the extra mile for him and he does not sound happy .

motherof2beasts!

Visit site
I would ask the vet if they would consider going him regumate , the stuff you give to mares I had a horse years ago who very similar life was a nightmare of broken fences and broken mares.
A dealer friend suggested trying this and as the vet saw we where in a tight spot where PTS was the only way out ( the horse was sound ) so agreed to try .
The effect was miraculous and the horse stayed with us for the rest of his life .
However if you decide to PTS no one could say it was a bad decision you have gone the extra mile for him and he does not sound happy .

The vet is out on Thursday for rig blood test so I will ask about regumate.

he is usually not too good at being alone but has been alone 3 days and actually seems much happier and has relaxed. Not sure why he has a grudge against one gelding in particular but maybe the pressure of being the boss got too much ! He’s not even looking at them or calling!

Ceriann

Visit site
Different scenario but my companion mare lost the plot when we brought a new mare home. New mare kept separate but my normally quiet but bit special companion became dangerous to handle. Took a couple of months to settle. On reflection an introduction in April in early seasons time may have been the cause - too many hormones!

Clodagh

Visit site
The vet is out on Thursday for rig blood test so I will ask about regumate.

he is usually not too good at being alone but has been alone 3 days and actually seems much happier and has relaxed. Not sure why he has a grudge against one gelding in particular but maybe the pressure of being the boss got too much ! He’s not even looking at them or calling!

Some horses like being alone, it always seems wrong to me too but if he is happy like that then maybe go with it.

little_critter

Visit site
I’m sorry to hear this. I had a mare with spondylosis a couple of years ago. She was pts within a week of it being diagnosed because it was very clear that she was in pain and really not happy (even just stood in her stable).
Knowing it couldn’t be treated and that she was clearly in pain made it an easy decision for me, I couldn’t even groom her because she hated being touched. (prior to this she was a sweet, kind mare).
I hope your horse can have a comfortable summer.

Brownmare

Visit site
Update - he ls not a rig only 0.01 hormone so very low. He is on rig calm and back with the herd. The vet has advised he has one last summer then PTS before winter as his X-rays on back were significant and he’ll be in some discomfort.
I really feel for you. I had a similar situation with a horse with inoperable kissing spines. He was fine being a field ornament for a few years but then a new mare arrived and it was like a switch flicked, he started attacking the other gelding. Sadly, even when moved to a different yard with no mares he continued attacking the gelding he was turned out with so I had him PTS as he was clearly so unhappy. I hope you manage to give your boy a last summer but don't be surprised if you have to make the call sooner than you would like.

chaps89

Visit site
Don’t get too hung up on the last summer thing. Summer can be an awful time for a retiree, the ground is rough and hard and they have to put up with flies and heat.
Exactly this. One of my biggest regrets is giving my old boy 'one last summer' I wish I'd done it in spring when the ground is nice, weather is pleasant and grass is plentiful.
If the vet feels he's uncomfortable given the x-rays and shouldn't go through another winter I'd be asking myself for whose sake or why he is going through another summer.
I'm sorry if this is difficult to hear, it is clear you've done all you can for him and it's never a nice decision.

motherof2beasts!

Visit site
I’m sorry to hear this. I had a mare with spondylosis a couple of years ago. She was pts within a week of it being diagnosed because it was very clear that she was in pain and really not happy (even just stood in her stable).
Knowing it couldn’t be treated and that she was clearly in pain made it an easy decision for me, I couldn’t even groom her because she hated being touched. (prior to this she was a sweet, kind mare).
I hope your horse can have a comfortable summer.

Never known another person whose horse has it and so little out there about it!

Wishfilly

Visit site
think I posted on a group on Facebook but not other forums, how come ?

I saw a post which sounded like someone trying to rehome a very similar sounding pony (Connie, similar age, diagnosed with Spondylitis, can't be turned out with mares) due to a change in financial circumstances.

It sounded very similar, and it's a rare diagnosis, so I thought it was a bit odd.

motherof2beasts!

Visit site
I saw a post which sounded like someone trying to rehome a very similar sounding pony (Connie, similar age, diagnosed with Spondylitis, can't be turned out with mares) due to a change in financial circumstances.

It sounded very similar, and it's a rare diagnosis, so I thought it was a bit odd.

I did some time ago , swiftly deleted it as soon as I wrote it !