** URGENT Dog not well**

BallyJ

Visit site
Just awaiting a call back from the vets,

Dog comes to work with me daily for last 4 years, same office no change

She is so ill today with stress, trying to get behind desks, panting, shaking, lots of yawning, tail clamped between legs. absolutely fine when on our walk.

Ate all her breakfast, won't eat any chews.

Any ideas? no idea what's set her off. all same dogs in, can't put my finger on anything!

Sandstone1

Visit site
Has she had a fright in the office? Loud noise or something? Have you checked her mouth for something stuck? Anal gland problem? Could be lots of things.

BallyJ

Visit site
6yr old JRT

fine on her walk, just in the office.

Nothing in her mouth, can see inside quite clearly! Felt her all over - tummys a little hard but she's quite stoic (particularly with the vet)

ate at 6.40 this morning, due another at 6 tonight.

Sandstone1

Visit site
6yr old JRT

fine on her walk, just in the office.

Nothing in her mouth, can see inside quite clearly! Felt her all over - tummys a little hard but she's quite stoic (particularly with the vet)

ate at 6.40 this morning, due another at 6 tonight.
Sounds like something has upset her in the office. Could be something that you cant see or hear or smell. I had one who hated the smoke alarm.

BallyJ

Visit site
Has she had a fright in the office? Loud noise or something? Have you checked her mouth for something stuck? Anal gland problem? Could be lots of things.

She's definitely alpha - never left alone to fight but this was from as soon as we walked in

PurBee

Visit site
Any new people in the office she hasnt met before?

my dog loves everyone...but there’s been very few times when she has sensed something ‘bad’ about a person and behaves all weird, tailed curled in, panting, looking at me concerned. With one particular person she was like this everytime....and she turned out to be right, they later became a complete moron causing all sorts of strife in the community.

BallyJ

Visit site
Shes absolutely fine outside. Her normal self, going to leave her home tomorrow to see if she's worked up over nothing.

no new dogs, really really weird!

BallyJ

Visit site
Well at least you know that there is nothing actually wrong with her, which has to be good news.

Just wish they could talk - for 10 mins anyway!!

Had her calmed down and asleep then a colleagues keyboard squeaked on her desk and shes gone into full meltdown again, panting shaking and running around the office trying to hide! its awful to see :(

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Packing the car up, letting her sit in the passenger footwell so I can see her!

I have to admit that I don't understand why you have kept her in the office all day, knowing that whatever the cause was, it must have been something in there. I would have whisked her away as soon as I had worked out that the office was the root of the problem.

BallyJ

Visit site
Unfortunately I’m not in an industry where I could just walk out. I’m an hour and 15mins from home so couldn’t just nip out to drop her off, so had her sat on my knee while I worked trying to settle her.

BallyJ

Visit site
Could there have been an alarm/whistle or something high pitched you couldn't hear? Ted was plagued by a mysterious Saturday evening illness all last winter, same symptoms but fine outside. Turned out it was the whistle from the football on TV, every Saturday when we would go round to OHs parents ??

Really hoping it’s all settled by Monday and she’s forgotten whatever has upset her! She’s sleeping in our room tonight so If it is fireworks then she’ll settle!

BallyJ

Visit site
It appears she hasn't forgotten :(

I came prepared and have set her a dark crate up, she's settled down still shaking, but is laying down. So sad to see her like this, but she's more settled than Thursday!

Bellasophia

Visit site
I think your dog is ,for some reason as yet unestablished,becoming phobic.
You may never get to the cause of why the dog behaves in this way,but if you are to overcome her fears I would start reading about phobias in dog and how to overcome them....in a nutshell I would use a pheromone diffuser in the office,give her a safe dark crate to go in when she is overwhelmed( her safe place) and consider mild sedation..
from herbal remedies to valium( vet prescribed).

this site talks about extreme cases..
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0168159196011288

My first st poodle was noise sensitive...fireworks,hunting rifles,thunder would send her into the symptoms your dog displays..
later she went on to have three serious convulsions in her early years...
I used melatonin,Bach rescue remedy,occular massage( really works) and we managed to go from pre ictal phase ,pacing etc to calm down..sometimes it took hours but the prize was to avoid a convulsive episode.Likeyour dog,she would be calmer on a walk,but returning home even the flutter of a window curtain,or flickering shadows could set her off.
she lived to be twelve but died after a normal field walk and came home to drop with a stroke...I believe she had a brain tumor,as her behavior all her life had been tinged by these phobias..(not saying yr dog has this!)
Its just another idea to throw into the ring as you don’t have much to go on for now...I will follow the updates and hope it’s just a phase,but for me,there is always a reason.

PurBee

Visit site
How strange her behaviour has changed just in the office, which, am i right in assuming she’s been to the office daily for a while with no issues until now?

dogs sense so much its hard to interpret what she’s worried about.

As a calmer, you could try the ‘calming music for dogs’ videos on youtube, see if those calming tones, or docile classical music helps her. I‘ve used these and classical music on animals for calming as an experiment and was surprised that they helped. I played a 10 hour youtube vid for one old stressed cat and later found all the cats close to the ipad snoozing!

On a more metaphysical level, some would be sage smudging and reciting prayers in a space a dog freaks out about!

As it’s only in the office she’s behaving like this, i’d be considering any new person she’s met she has decided she doesn’t like. My dog would act all weird and stressed with just one person as i mentioned, and would react like that even when he was going to pass by our house from 2 minutes away. We could never see or hear him at the start of her stress behaviour, but she perceived his from a very long way away.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
As a calmer, you could try the ‘calming music for dogs’ videos on youtube, see if those calming tones, or docile classical music helps her. I‘ve used these and classical music on animals for calming as an experiment and was surprised that they helped. I played a 10 hour youtube vid for one old stressed cat and later found all the cats close to the ipad snoozing!

Mine is best with Ken Bruce :p she's getting pretty good at Popmaster.

BallyJ

Visit site
Christmas music is worth a try right?

She's sleeping in a dark crate now,

was her usual self all weekend and on her walks still! bringing my other dog all week so she's got her sister here for support.