Urgently need advise about young horse

hobo

Visit site
CLM Your last post sounds spot on give her and you a relaxing time and tackle it in the new year even if you wait till early spring do not fret. You need lots time to sort the problems and middle of the winter is not the time . I wish you good luck.

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
CLM Your last post sounds spot on give her and you a relaxing time and tackle it in the new year even if you wait till early spring do not fret. You need lots time to sort the problems and middle of the winter is not the time . I wish you good luck.

I do agree here and think spending time just handling her over the winter wouldn't go amiss. If it was me I think I'd then get someone who was an expert at long reining to work with her for a while getting her working in long reins and used to having the reins around her quarters without reacting. Then go back to treating her as a newly backed horse. She's probably been broken quickly in Ireland or where ever she was imported from and had her mind blown a bit.

Last edited:

Crazylittlemaisey

Visit site
Thanks again for replies, you lot have been reassuring.

Gloi I plan to start some long reining and have my instructor to help. Going to get her vet checked first after chilling over Christmas. She came from Holland to a SJ rider/dealer where I bought her 6 weeks later. Given she’s had a foal and was only 5 in June, I suspect you’re right. She’s is a pleasure to ride generally, both to school and hack out. Hope I get her sorted!

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
Sounds like a good plan to give her some time off and then build up slowly.

Just wanted to comment on the traffic thing - my 8yo was absolutely terrified of cars passing him when he was first backed, but a year in was solid and these days he is pretty much bomb proof on the roads. It is something that they can get over, you just have to find ways to build it up gradually. To start off with always stop when a car approaches, because instinctively drivers will anchor up a bit more too, and try to get her into gateways and at least slightly facing the cars. My lad was much worse with cars coming towards him too, so I often used to turn him around - sounds like it's the other way round with yours.

Good luck, hope you crack it all with her

crabbymare

Visit site
Thanks again for replies, you lot have been reassuring.

Gloi I plan to start some long reining and have my instructor to help. Going to get her vet checked first after chilling over Christmas. She came from Holland to a SJ rider/dealer where I bought her 6 weeks later. Given she’s had a foal and was only 5 in June, I suspect you’re right. She’s is a pleasure to ride generally, both to school and hack out. Hope I get her sorted!
Dont forget that if she was broken in Holland any cars would have come past her on the other side, so that could have something to do with it as well.