US Adventures Part One - Outsider :p

Firewell

Visit site
Hello!

I thought I would do a little update on Jae and I in the Sun here in Cali. I'm going to start a blog I think but I need to sit down and actually do that :p.

Jae has settled well, he is like a pig in poo with the Sun on his back! Typical TB. Our stuff hasn't arrived yet but they yard have kindly lent us everything we need. This includes a lush Devoucoux saddle, unfortunately it is a ginormous 18.5inch seat so I swim in it! This coupled with the fact that I don't have my jodpurs, or anything yet means riding is interesting uncomfortable in my jeans, an old pair of fake cowboy primark boots (seriously they think i'm mad) and a borrowed hat which digs in like nobodys business!

To the horse people here I'm this crazy English person. The staff watch me with amused interest as I am the only boarder (livery) who obsessively comes up twice a day to ride, faff and waste their hay :p. The other boarders turn up at 11am on a Saturday, they get the pro SJ rider to jump their 60,000 dollar horse round a metre track, then they get on and nervously trot over 2ft while being shouted at by their 'trainer'.

I literally am the only person who rides their own horse every day and interferes with the looking after of their own horse.

Jae is getting used to the new routine. He lives out 24/7 in his sand pen (which is quite large) and goes into the field for a couple of hours a day. He is fed super green timothy hay morning and night which is giving him green sloppy poo's and they don't feed half as much hay as we do here in England which is taking me some getting used to! Apparently they don't need as much because they don't get as cold. I think it has something to do with the fact hay is 30 dollars for a small bale. Insanely expensive.

I also think they think I'm strange because I'm the only one with an unclipped horse who rugs at night. I haven't got around to getting him clipped yet and I put two rugs on at night because it's cold! It gets down to 5 degrees brrrrr. It does mean I have to jump out of bed at sparrows fart to take his blankets (rugs) off before the sun comes up otherwise he would boil! That is also taking some getting used to, Heavy weights and fly spray in the same 12hr period don't normally feature in my life!

I have ridden him in our borrowed get up a few times and he is finding the huge arena with lot's of jumpies terribly exciting, he cannot wait to jump but I have told him he has to wait untill I have my proper clothes and my legs aren't being torn to shreds by my jeans :p.

In order to appease him I decided to try him down the jumping lane this morning. The yard staff at my professional jumping yard offered to help me. Noooo I said My (beautifully trained English) horse is good to loose school, I'll be fine. Jae then embarrassed me by knocking down the jump, running off bucking and then rolling half a dozen times in the middle of the jumping lane while I'm hopping up and down fruitlessly waving the lunge whip at him. He decided to wait untill everyone had had a good old snigger and left before jumping through perfectly :p.

All our tack and my riding gear arrives with our house furniture this weekend so I am very excited to be able to crack on next week. I'm going to confuse the yard manager by asking to ride in a field soon. I don't want Jae to get bored and sadly hacking is limited where we are at the moment, although they do apparently have a training track around the paddocks which I'm yet to find. I have been told the youngsters in the fields like to dive bomb people riding round the track but I'm convinced that's nothing after surviving the warm up's at unaffilliated showjumping shows in England. :D.

Next thing to do is to buy one of the really cool horse trailers they have here (they don't have horse boxes) and a gigantic truck to pull it with (fuel is the equivalent of 50p a litre whoop whoop!!!). Then find a competition, that will be amusing. Do they even wear the same show gear?! Lot's of things to find out about!

Some piccies of Mr Jae Beans settling in :).

1455859_10151936853030210_1716558909_n.jpg

1383672_10151936853310210_1641009959_n.jpg

1395384_10151936852705210_1734865131_n.jpg

1455034_10151936852230210_1485638730_n.jpg

1391529_10151936852420210_1531916158_n.jpg

Fanks for reading x

Pigeon

Visit site
He's looking fab :) Very jealous of your sun!!!

My friend is from the states, (kansas, she competed at hunter/jumper and morgan showing) and she said there were a lot of differences in terminology and etiquette.

Doesdressage1

Visit site
I'm so glad he has settled well. It's nice to hear you are finding the same things as us even though you are on the other side of the country. We are in the middle of a slight debate at our barn regarding hay. They just don't feed forage here. So weird.
Look forward to hearing more about your adventures

Firewell

Visit site
Yep it's strange! They only give around 3 sections of hay a day and we don't even have any grass for them to eat!
All the horses look amazing though, it only seems to be mine that needs a bale a day to survive...
I went to the feed store today and bought a higher calorie feed and a huge bag of linseed meal. I figured if I have to feed him more bucket feed instead then that's what I have to do!
They don't seem to give theirs much in the way of bucket feed either and they still look well. Maybe I'm missing something!

j1ffy

Visit site
It's similar here in Hong Kong....probably because hay is imported from the US so it's even more expensive!!! I've put my horse on a high-fibre bucket diet (lots of speedibeet and we're getting linseed flakes from NZ soon too), which he looks good on. I have to say that a lot of the horses carry less condition than I'm used to, but I think that's because they are OTTBs and mostly don't get 'correct' work rather than the feeding regime. There are a few colic cases but no more than other stable kept horses tbh...which is interesting seeing as they go for long periods without forage.

I also sympathise with you re other owners. I helped someone the other night after her lesson - she's had her horse for 4 years but didn't know how to take off a bridle! And the YM thinks I'm crazy as I always ask for changes to diet, exercise, turnout, hoof care.....

Doesdressage1

Visit site
Yes it's just the same here. I'm trying to get more hay but yard owner isn't having it. You found linseed? I can't find it anywhere. I am thinking about switching mine to one of their senior feeds as it's got a much higher fat content without the added protein. Hopefully we will get the balance right sooner or later. Where is lush English grass when you need it

Firewell

Visit site
Yep I asked for linseed meal and they came out with a big 25g bag of the stuff! It's a giant sack of brown powder. It's going to last me years lol. They said I was the first person who has bought it in months, they usually sell sacks of rice bran instead.
Here they sell feeds by a company called LMF which are good as high in fibre/fat and v low in starch so I've stuck him on one of those with the linseed.
They feed alfalfa hay at my yard but I'm reluctant to go down that route with all the problems you hear about associated with feeding too much alfa.
Interesting to hear it's the same in Hong Kong, it's definitely a learning curve!

TarrSteps

Visit site
To some extent it's about adapting though, too. The horse I brought from Canada struggled a bit to switch over to a more UK style feeding regime and we were both a bit :eek: about a lot of the hay, not that it was bad quality, just a lot less punchy than we were used to. (Mind you, we're from the sort of area Cali buys its hay from, so spoilt for choice!)

If you're going to buy a truck, buy a Dodge. :)

vam

Visit site
Glad its all going well despite the differences, im finding it all really intresting hearing about your lifestyle change although im still feeling like i want to pack up and move out there :smile3:

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Glad to hear you and horse are settling in. Many, many thinks are different in the US (and not just horsey things....), but it is good to remember that not everywhere does things the British way. In fact many places do things BETTER :). I had a stud farm in the US (Colorado) for years and miss the lovely hay. I think you'll find that feeding that kind of forage in the quantities that are considered normal in the UK will result in a horse the size of an elephant; as you have observed American horses look just fine on the regime. Best of luck in America, keep an open mind and you will have a great deal of fun.

nikkimariet

Visit site
Really enjoying your updates :)

The differences in horse management is fascinating! Who knows maybe your 'strange ways' will rub off on them?!

Lolo

Visit site
Wow! It sounds so exciting :) He looks so well, like he's made himself properly at home- these crazy ex-racers, eh? :D

prosefullstop

Visit site
The farm where I currently ride in CT keeps its horses the same way--dry lots for most of the time, and turnout in fields for five or six hours. I must ask the owner if she ever lived in California, as it's more usual for horses on the East Coast to live in indoor barns, and not in turnout pens.

Your horse seems to have adjusted so well to his new lifestyle.

Perfect_Pirouette

Visit site
Haha!! This post really made me LOL, especially them all looking at you in bemusement and only ever hopping on board on a Sat lol!! Good for you, that's what you have a horse for and are paying all that blummin money for!

The pink Primarni cowboy boots also made me snigger!!

Does anyone on your yard do dressage?

Leg_end

Visit site
So glad you've settled in well, he's looking great. I'm not sure the coming up once a week is a purely US thing... I'm the only part/full livery that comes up and rides!!

It's a huge culture difference and I love the fact that they think you are mad English lady! I love the trailers they have (I did look to see if they did them here but sadly they don't). I'm jealous of your sunshine though :)

TPO

Visit site
So if it's normal for them to be kept in sand pens with limited hay how to they avoid ulcers if there isn't constant forage? What about sand colic or is this something they take preventive steps to guard against? Do they only get individual turn out?

The differences are very interesting, thanks for sharing

Firewell

Visit site
I'll try and answer everyones questions :). The hay here is def richer. We feed Timothy which is basically a bale of spring grass! They have oat hay which to Brits is Straw and Alfalfa.
No they don't seem to suffer with Ulcers..none of the horses at my yard have vices either which might be just luck I don't know. They all look very fat and relaxed.
I looked at 7 barns before choosing and none of them fed more than 3/4 sections and all the YO's YM's were super knowledgeable about feed (they call hard feed supplements). They were like us, into the high fibre/fat route. No one I met fed grain.
They grow the grass here for hay like a crop and as I understand it's expensive not because of the water as there is lot's of underground water but because of the cost of electricity used to pump the water. Not many ranch owners therefore grow hay.
Generally I would say it's cheaper to keep horses here. A lot of the barns near me are 700-800 dollars pcm for full livery which is 400-500 pounds. You would be lucky to get full livery in the UK with these facilities and the level of care they give for that. That does not include riding or brushing although it can do.
There are places that do full livery for much less but those places are a bit more rustic :p. I have an English friend the other side of San Fran who pays 295 dollars for her boarding and that includes mucking out and feeding hay which is so cheap and she's happy there (although she does go up at 9pm at night to give hers an extra section of hay!).
Bags of horse feed cost the same and the farriers cost the same. My farrier here is 150 dollars which is around 85 pounds ish. Some people at my yard pay 250 usd for a fancy farrier which is pointless IMO as the shoeing looks the same to me.
Have to be careful with farriers as anyone can be one. Don't need to be registered like in UK. The good ones tend to be amazing and the bad ones horrific.
:)
It's nice here. Will take a bit of getting used to! Just need to find someone to ride with now!

Firewell

Visit site
I'm not sure if anyone at my yard does dressage..it's mostly a jumping place. Guy who owns it used to be a top showjumper although he's retired now.
However dressage is popular in this area and a couple of the yards I looked at were mostly dressage focused. I'd say Hunter/Jumpers and Cow ponies (cutting) are most popular then Dressage and then Eventing. They do have Eventing here and a local course which is available for schooling but it's more of an emerging sport. Only one of the yards I looked at was eventing led.
:)

Doesdressage1

Visit site
It's so lovely to here you are noticing the same differences as we are. I think everyone here thinks we are so fussy. I still go twice a day as I'm so in the habit. We did try to find DIY but couldn't find any at all. I would feel a lot happier if there was just grass but I suppose it's just not the weather for it. I will have to research into the linseed again. Keep us updated and enjoy riding when your things arrive

MS123

Visit site
Thank you for sharing :) ...really enjoyed reading this. Best of luck and do keep us posted with how everything is going x

FlaxenPony05

Visit site
I really love reading your US updates Firewell, please start a blog when you find the time!!
He looks like a proper American pony with that mahoosive D-ring bit lol
How odd that they don't do DIY. Yard sounds really lovely, I am jealous of Americans and all of their gorgeous 'barns'.

Firewell

Visit site
Thanks everyone, glad you all like it :) :). The sunshine is fan blimin tastic here. It is the one major plus point. Still feel a bit homesick though!
Ha yeah Jae looks the all american sunshine boy with his borrowed tack :p. He thinks he is dead cool ;).