Using a phone on horseback

Sandstone1

Visit site
I recently passed someone riding and leading who was busy texting at the same time. Ridden horse had reins on his neck.
Rider not concentrating on horses at all. Head down looking at phone.
This was on a fairly busy country road.
In view of the rules on phones when driving is this illegal.
It's certainly dangerous and stupid but is it legal to use a phone on a horse.

Shay

Visit site
Yes it is. As you say - not the brightest thing to do, and I have seen riders do it locally. But it is legal. The only offence you can commit whilst riding is termed "Wild and Furious riding" defined by the Town and Police Clauses Act 1874. Someone was actually convicted of this only 2 years ago. (not me!)

Sandstone1

Visit site
That's interesting, can a horse not he classed as a vehicle? What about a bicycle? Can you use a phone on a bike?
Just interested.

Pippity

Visit site
Yes it is. As you say - not the brightest thing to do, and I have seen riders do it locally. But it is legal. The only offence you can commit whilst riding is termed "Wild and Furious riding" defined by the Town and Police Clauses Act 1874. Someone was actually convicted of this only 2 years ago. (not me!)

You can be fined/imprisoned for a month for being drunk in charge of a horse, under the 1872 Licensing Act.

Shay

Visit site
The same offence applies to cyclists - and they get convicted of it fairly often (in comparison). UK law does not recognise the term vehicle as US law does. (A horse is a vehicle as defined by US law.) It does define a motor vehicle - to which the Road Traffic Act applies - as a mechanically propelled vehicle intended or adapted for use on roads. Clearly not a horse.

And yes - I think you can use a phone on a bike. The laws relating to distraction offences, and to mobile phone use specifically, relate to motor vehicles only.

Sandstone1

Visit site
That's odd then. If you can be fined for being drunk in charge of a horse but you can use your phone while on-board.
Just strikes me as odd. After all a horse can be a lot more unpredictable than a car.

conniegirl

Visit site

you can also be done for "causing a danger on a public highway"

Micropony

Visit site
Quite apart from the legalities I think it's a total discourtesy to the horse to use a phone while riding. I know others don't see it the same way and there are such things as emergencies, but it's something I hate to see either out and about or in the school.

Shantara

Visit site
I use my phone to take pics while I'm riding, but I make sure I have a good look around and keep hold of the reins before I do so! Unless it was an emergency, I don't text or call while I'm riding.

sunleychops

Visit site
Quite apart from the legalities I think it's a total discourtesy to the horse to use a phone while riding. I know others don't see it the same way and there are such things as emergencies, but it's something I hate to see either out and about or in the school.

Lol what? My horse has never turned round whilst I've been snapchatting him to my friends and flashed a look of disgust at me

fburton

Visit site
And I thought the great thing about riding was that it allowed one to get away from worldly cares. Do people really feel the need to stay connected even when riding? Well, evidently the answer is yes... :(

Sandstone1

Visit site
Have to say I'm surprised that so many people seem to do it. I'd always have a phone in case of emergency but not text while riding.

Ellietotz

Visit site
I've seen people text riding, don't see the point of it. Slightly off topic but I saw a man wearing a cowboy hat riding his horse whilst smoking and whistling!

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site

You sure? :D
I was a witness for that case, she's a ruddy menace but has at least changed her riding out times now, thus avoiding most other riders and dog walkers etc.

Auslander

Visit site
I've been known to take video out hacking, mostly on the byways, and occasionally on empty roads. I don't call or text though - far too busy enjoying my horse time.

I got a ticking off from a policeman about 20 years ago - for riding a whizzy little showjumping pony bareback in a headcollar. She was leaping around and cantering on the spot, and he told me that he didn't want to see me on the road on her without a saddle and bridle on ever again!

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
I frequently take photos and videos of my rides with my boy which I know I will treasure for years to come. Rarely I text or make a phone call. It's all off road riding so no traffic. My horse knows the drill for stopping and taking photos through his ears :)

Sukistokes2

Visit site
I think if it offends you then don't do it. Simplez. However I see nothing wrong with taking a peek at my phone when riding my horse, neither Kev nor Ffin seem to care and I wouldn't mind if they wanted to update their status while we were out ;) Of course it's subject to a quick check it's safe but unlike my car or the bike from my youth, my horse is quite capable of steering himself for a bit. I will admit that I do occasionally film my riding using my phone, I will invest in a hat cam one day, trying to film Kev cantering holding the reins one handed , with my phone in the other was interesting:D

I really don't see why people get their knickers in a twist about what other people do....

https://www.facebook.com/lovedhorse/videos/637695939756436/

Last edited:

holeymoley

Visit site
I do have a wee look if I get a message but I usually use my phone for photos . If I tried to do anything my horse would be like 'oh your not paying attention to me so I'm going to go and eat that hedge' haha . It's obviously up to the individual but phones and technology take up so much of our lives these days it's nice to just be free from it all. Drives me mad when I see the girl next to me , goes out a ride , face in her phone the whole way. Her mum or dad mucks out for her while she hangs about at the stable on her phone ! Arghhh lol

Tyssandi

Veteran
Visit site
I think it is stupid and ridiculous (unless calling in an emergency). Horses can act unpredictably at times and full control should be adhered to all the time.

Whoopit

Visit site
I don't have to go on roads at all - straight onto Pennine bridleway and can stay out on the moors for hours on end without so much as seeing a road.

Don't see anything wrong with using my phone however I wish. I trust my horse and if he's being a handful, phone stays in pocket untouched.

People use their judgement and it may well be different to someone else's but they assessed their situation and did what they did. No different to pulling out of a junction in the car - my judgement of what is safe might be different to yours and also depends on the vehicle.

cally23

Visit site
Not like that woman did!
Knocked a dog walker into a ditch, ran another over, rode between 2 horses from behind whilst they were walking - she was cantering! Plenty of other furious riding incidents from her too....

Yes, that is no joke. It sounds like she should be banned from riding!