Using a phone on horseback

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Having had the dubious task of trying to prosecute a riding school owner of teaching whilst drunk, I had to investigate the law surrounding booze and horses.

It is illegal to be in charge of a carriage horse whilst drunk so don't drink and drive a horse! riding whilst pxxxed isn't an offence but causing an accident or public nuisance is. So all those hunting people who have downed an entire saddle flask of sloe gin and leave their horse to find their way back to the box are actually fine, however lets hope someone else is driving the lorry home.

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
Not like that woman did!
Knocked a dog walker into a ditch, ran another over, rode between 2 horses from behind whilst they were walking - she was cantering! Plenty of other furious riding incidents from her too....

Sounds like someone who was on our yard - briefly.

I put my phone on silent so I'm not tempted to answer it if it rings but I do take it out for the occasional through the ears shot.

I suppose the difference between a car and a horse is if I take my eyes off the road when driving I could drive into someone or lose control of the car so it runs off the road; with a horse most won't walk into the back of something or straight into a wall if I don't steer so on a bridlepath where I can only go in one direction, I do tend to ride one handed when we are in relaxed mood.

Pigeon

Visit site
I occasionally text or take a call when riding (if there is no traffic). I think it's a bit different on a horse as generally they will keep their own course, unlike a bike, and won't crash into stuff, unlike a car. And compared to those examples, they go very very slowly.

I wouldn't be heartbroken if it were made illegal though.

Achinghips

Visit site
I wouldn't do it, I think it's dangerous. You need to be in full control of the reins at all times for your own and others safety. The sun always shines on the screen and makes it almost impossible to see too.

yhanni

Visit site
Someone used to ride down the bridlepath through our property reading a book!! The horse was very steady despite my barking dogs and stallion strutting his stuff but it always struck me as a very strange thing to do!