Using Horse Clippers On Dogs?

Dizzy socks

Visit site
Could this work? We currently have 2 dogs that need to be clipped fairly regularly, and at £20 a pop it isn't that cheap. One is also geriatric, so the less trauma the better really.

Do you think it would be feasible to buy a pair of clippers for horses, to do them? Could be cheaper in long run, and useful for horse too!

Spencer93

Visit site
This is probably irrelevant but my friend does her husbands hair with her horse clippers and he's always been fine

Adopter

Visit site
We clipped our old border collie with the horse clippers, she was suffering in the heat and she had a new lease of life afterwards. It was not that pretty, as the clipper head was really too big for a smooth dog clip.

My sister uses her dog clippers to clip horses head, she prefers them for the smaller areas.

3Beasties

Visit site
I do my terrier every spring with horse clippers. I have to be careful not to do a 'close' shave but generally it works fine. Probably not the perfect result you'd get from a groomers but mine always looks smarter and feels better having lost his coat!

mynutmeg

Visit site
I do my mom's tibetian terrier with the horse clippers, no problems with them there. tbh they do a better job than the dog ones do!

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I used to clip our Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, as she struggled to cope in hot weather. I use an Oster A5 small animal clipper, which is also very good for horse's tricky bits! You can get comb attachments to clip onto the blades to give a longer length of cut which is more suitable for canines.

ChesnutsRoasting

Visit site
I once used the beard trimmer attachment on my husbands razor on my Border Terriers backside - it was encrusted with matter. Just be careful on the blade size - too short & you may cause irritation.

EventingMum

Visit site
Having inherited my father's collie I objected to paying the mobile groomer £50 a clip so future daughter in law and I had a go with the horse trimmers (Moser Adelars). The end result was fine, no one laughed! It may not have looked 100% perfect but neither was the groomer and he's not a show dog anyway. I've invested in a set of guards for our next attempt which ought to make things easier.

yeeharider

Visit site
I do my old English sheepdogs with horse clippers 3 times a year now I no longer show them. I do like a teddy length clip but only takes a couple of months to grow to this length and saves me a fortune :) :) :)