Vacancy

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
Well I happened upon the perfect lurcher pup, from a good breeder rather than a dodgy source too. Also ready just as I finish work for the summer. Hits the criteria on every front and even is the quietest and most laid back in the litter.

…but as the possibility was to become a reality I felt m, for want of a better phrasing, very dishonest and disloyal to Cooper, so didn’t pursue past initial discussions. It is utterly ridiculous I know, completely. I find myself increasingly surprised by myself really as I am never this mawkish, I have always either added another pup or gone on a waiting list for one very shortly after losing a dog, and always encouraged others to do the same but this time It feels very different. OH and I discussed this evening and she suggested maybe it is all a bit like shock from going from him being fine, then the next day struggling with his legs, to be at the vets the following day and then dead ten days later after probably the most harrowing and awful journey to the end.

I question my own judgement too as should have PTS sooner rather than exhausting options and investigations to try find a resolve, when I think I knew in my heart the writing was on the wall, but I simply couldn’t give up on him at just eight - and I think that sort of blame/questioning of judgement also plays hugely into not being able to consider another pup. I do blame myself a little, and for not seeing anything sooner when clearly he must have been unwell but not really showing anything - for a while, this year has been so consumed by covid and long covid and the poor bugger just lay by me throughout the whole thing, and I didn’t even happen to notice.

I am a firm believer in that we have such different relationships with each different dig and whilst I love my other two, my relationship with them is very very different to how it was with him. Alas, dogs eh. I think it is safe to say 2021 has thus far not been the most brilliant!

sorry for moaning again, but my usual go to dog friends and family members for discussion are all really well meaning but conversations with them just get shot down with ‘but you must at least start to think about another’

i really feel for you as, even though my collie cross was 15 my heart is questioning whether i should have tried to keep her going but my head knows it was the right thing to do....i now feel guilty that i didnt realise how bad she was earlier in the day and could have spared her the car journey to the emergency vets....luckily i had got a terrier pup in september so my other terrier had someone to play with and my old girl could have a more peaceful life. we all need time to get used to what has happened and when i have lost previous dogs i have never got another straight away, it was usually about 6 months after, so just do what you feel is best. there is no right or wrong.. hugs xx

brighteyes

Pooh-Bah
Visit site
We all do it differently. I love all mine beyond reason but I see their loss as a bit of a gauntlet thrown down before me and I refuse to be demolished by the pain. The only thing which cheers me is the anticipation of the new dog/horse/cat.
Never anything in mind, always open to suggestion and other ideas and have always had my heart mended. To me, going and looking is part of the healing process for me. I would never overlook a similar breed or type but I lost a KWPN and ended up with a full TB ex racehorse lost a Patterdale and got a JRT as I'm a terrier person. Another Patterdale came to stay last weekend and I got Patterdal pangs as it was so similar to my old one. I think I know what dog I am going for next...

Fluffypiglet

Visit site
I lost my last horse in 2000. It made me give up horses for 15 years. When I started looking for new horse, I still felt like I couldn't have another chestnut gelding. It was too close to replacing him even though all those years had passed. I was surprised how emotional I was despite all those years passing. There is no timescale on grief or dealing with the after effects of them dying and you can never replace the ones you've lost. Some hit you harder than others but you will find your way. So sorry that you lost your boy. And I love hearing about your corgi tank.

P3LH

Visit site
Thank you all for such kind posts. I do find myself keep thinking about afore mentioned pup, but don’t feel I know my head form my backside at the moment so don’t want to re-inquire, plus he was so lovely I’m sure he’s been snapped up. Which is a shame really as I was quite taken with him.

the house is so deadly quiet which considering there are two other dogs and two cats in it, is quite surprising. Corgi charges off on walks and seems to look for him so is now back on lead only, and it’s the same in the house - she just watches the front door. The eldest rough seems to get quite anxious at specific times eg dinner and walks and will then appear to be scouting around. Keeping them both busy and we shall see what happens

Moobli

Visit site
Why not enquire about the whippet pup. If it is still available, maybe it is meant to be?
It is so hard losing a dog that is young, it is just so unexpected that I think the shock takes a while to wear off. After I lost Zak and then Yogi within two weeks of each other, I was left numb. I certainly wasn't considering another dog at all at that stage, especially as Strike was not yet 12 months old, but when Zak/Strike's breeder contacted me to say there was a lovely little bitch pup they'd love me to have if I felt ready, then it just seemed the right thing to do. I rarely regret the decision.

P3LH

Visit site
Why not enquire about the whippet pup. If it is still available, maybe it is meant to be?
It is so hard losing a dog that is young, it is just so unexpected that I think the shock takes a while to wear off. After I lost Zak and then Yogi within two weeks of each other, I was left numb. I certainly wasn't considering another dog at all at that stage, especially as Strike was not yet 12 months old, but when Zak/Strike's breeder contacted me to say there was a lovely little bitch pup they'd love me to have if I felt ready, then it just seemed the right thing to do. I rarely regret the decision.
I just strangely feel all of a mither over it - I really blame myself for what happened and for how things went. I know there’s nothing I can have done to change it but I should have pts sooner, and I just keep replaying how bad his last night was - and spending those last few days unable to eat n vomiting blood etc. My vets have been good when dealing with my criticism of the vet I had been landed with for that week, but it doesn’t make it any better really.

He really is a lovely pup, dad whippet mum whippet/beddie/deerhound, proper country bred bombproof chap and my favourite sighthound colour too - but I just can’t get my head round the idea yet. Which I recognise really is daft. I think it really is the circumstances of his passing.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I just strangely feel all of a mither over it - I really blame myself for what happened and for how things went. I know there’s nothing I can have done to change it but I should have pts sooner, and I just keep replaying how bad his last night was - and spending those last few days unable to eat n vomiting blood etc. My vets have been good when dealing with my criticism of the vet I had been landed with for that week, but it doesn’t make it any better really.

He really is a lovely pup, dad whippet mum whippet/beddie/deerhound, proper country bred bombproof chap and my favourite sighthound colour too - but I just can’t get my head round the idea yet. Which I recognise really is daft. I think it really is the circumstances of his passing.

I would imagine that you are not feeling yourself because of your current physical health which you told us about on a different thread. That will not help you to come to a decision.

P3LH

Visit site
Indeed, it certainly plays a considerable factor with the not knowing my head from my back side. I am hoping the latter half of 2021 is significantly better than the former.

brighteyes

Pooh-Bah
Visit site
I would imagine that you are not feeling yourself because of your current physical health which you told us about on a different thread. That will not help you to come to a decision.
Ah, I missed this, but did feel P3LH to be over-punishing themselves rather, when in fact they have done their best with what they had.

P3LH

Visit site
Ah, I missed this, but did feel P3LH to be over-punishing themselves rather, when in fact they have done their best with what they had.
Thank you for saying this. It’s a combination of both, this year has been a write off thanks to covid and subsequently long covid but - I do carry huge guilt regarding everything with Cooper. I knew the Wednesday before he needed to be Pts but listened to the vet.

I have to make my peace with it and grow a pair really. I wish it had been different but if wishes were horses then beggars would ride.

P3LH

Visit site
Posted this on the wrong blinking thread:

So I have decided vacancy’s are there to be filled.

Unfortunately it seems every breeder of whippets or small whippet based lurchers are all either too far away (long covid means driving halfway across the country from Warwickshire we have done with all the others before is out) or are….vibrant characters of whom I wouldn’t buy a pot plant from let alone a pup.

I have my doggy friends keeping feelers out too. The perfect lurcher pup I previously mentioned is simply logistically too far for us to get too in our given circumstances, so that’s not meant to be - and I am a great believer in fate. E.g with corgi Sherman tank we contacted to see about going on a waiting list for our specific requirements of tri colour, bitch and traditional - and one such puppy had just had back word given that very morning after being reserved since 1 day old. Maybe that was more an act of Satan though.

It gives us something to look forward too though. A sighthound seems sensible but I’m also still not against a nice border terrier bitch. We shall see

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
glad you are feeling more positive, it never replaces the one who has gone but can help with healing. the little terrier i got 9 months ago has made me laugh every day and her feed bowls etc are in my old girls place, it doesnt take away the fact that i miss her all of the time but it helps me to adjust to her being gone for good. my little terrier is half border terrier, are you mad!!!!!! i have said if you want a challenge, get a terrier!!

P3LH

Visit site
I think we will probably go for a sighthound as a) I miss a long nose around the place and b) I think the temp will gel well with the others, but I do like BTs a lot - my best friend always had several together when we were growing up, her parents still did until recently - and they are ace, very calm very sensible dogs.

janem_g

Visit site
Not a sighthound by any means and quite possibly destined to be more full on than the tank but I do know some Patterdale Beagle cross puppies.

Sandstone1

Visit site
Would a rescue work? Dont know where you are but Dogs trust have some sight hounds. I know its not always easy to take on a rescue if you have other dogs but might be worth looking at, or maybe try breed rescue.

P3LH

Visit site
Pat x beagle makes my head hurt just the thought. Sadly a rescue wouldn’t work, we both work, there are cats and my eldest dog is a bit funny with adult dogs he doesn’t know. I’m in no rush, I’m not part of the I want it now brigade.

P3LH

Visit site
Clearly it’s not just chancers and BYB’s cashing in on the market or trying to - I contacted a show breeder who came highly recommended by several sources, they would happily sell me a rather charming albeit pet quality pup - for the modest sum of 4K. Good grief.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
https://www.freeads.co.uk/uk/buy-sell/pets/dogs/lurcher/37142201/lurcher-pups/view#.YOym7OhK

https://www.freeads.co.uk/uk/buy-se...lie-greyhound-whippet-cross/view#.YOyn3uhKhPY

https://www.freeads.co.uk/uk/buy-se...21/lurcher-x-spaniel-puppys/view#.YOyoTuhKhPY

as i love lurchers i had a look on freeads and there are quite a few on there but maybe too far away... these are the ones i liked the look of..... just looked at whippets and there are some on freeads as well if you arent bothered about being kc registered. and also some whippet crosses...

Last edited:

P3LH

Visit site
I am a great believer in kismet. I always prefer to source my dogs the ‘proper way’ and have only ever bought via breed clubs signposting or after stalking breeders dogs at shows,however I did so enjoy the response from the whippet version stating as we both work (despite me stating about our profession, school holidays, my working half days for the foreseeable) no breeder would consider us. Incredibly strange considering the breeders of our other dogs, with the Sherman tanks being a serious dog person and judge, never had an issue with this.

I think we will reconvene and have a rethink about things.

Last edited:

Annette4

Visit site
I am a great believer in kismet. I always prefer to source my dogs the ‘proper way’ and have only ever bought via breed clubs signposting or after stalking breeders dogs at shows,however I did so enjoy the response from the whippet version stating as we both work (despite me stating about our profession, school holidays, my working half days for the foreseeable) no breeder would consider us. Incredibly strange considering the breeders of our other dogs, with the Sherman tanks being a serious dog person and judge, never had an issue with this.

I think we will reconvene and have a rethink about things.

Some whippet people I'm convinced forget that they are dogs and not human babies. The amount of times I've been torn a new one on whippet Facebook groups for daring to suggest that crate training (even if you don't use it forever) is helpful for toilet training and life skills and maybe puppy pads are teaching them to go indoors. Not to mention when I said mine sleep in crates downstairs happily and only come on the bed for special occasion cuddles.

P3LH

Visit site
Some whippet people I'm convinced forget that they are dogs and not human babies. The amount of times I've been torn a new one on whippet Facebook groups for daring to suggest that crate training (even if you don't use it forever) is helpful for toilet training and life skills and maybe puppy pads are teaching them to go indoors. Not to mention when I said mine sleep in crates downstairs happily and only come on the bed for special occasion cuddles.
I am gathering they have the sighthound version of the type of following corgi’s have acquired too ‘I love my doggo and his splooting and he gives me boops with his nose’ as opposed to realising they have a super intelligent stock dog that they aren’t attempting to control the poor behaviour of and are allowing the dog to exhibit all the negative traits then breed has and selling this as ‘just how corgis are’

buddylove

Visit site
I am gathering they have the sighthound version of the type of following corgi’s have acquired too ‘I love my doggo and his splooting and he gives me boops with his nose’ as opposed to realising they have a super intelligent stock dog that they aren’t attempting to control the poor behaviour of and are allowing the dog to exhibit all the negative traits then breed has and selling this as ‘just how corgis are’
There is a dachshund version as well, the amount of times I just want to scream "they are still dogs" is unreal. With a slight disclaimer that they are master manipulators and if you give them an inch they will take a country mile!

P3LH

Visit site
There is a dachshund version as well, the amount of times I just want to scream "they are still dogs" is unreal. With a slight disclaimer that they are master manipulators and if you give them an inch they will take a country mile!
Interesting how all these once quite minority working based breeds which now seem to carry favour, attract a similar sort of following. I’m always intrigued by the amount of times I see dachsies in clothes or bags - all the ones I once knew preferred to be half way down a hole in their spare time.