Vacancy

buddylove

Visit site
Interesting how all these once quite minority working based breeds which now seem to carry favour, attract a similar sort of following. I’m always intrigued by the amount of times I see dachsies in clothes or bags - all the ones I once knew preferred to be half way down a hole in their spare time.
Bizarre isn't it! Although mine do have little waterproofs for winter, purely because I am too lazy to bath them every time they come in from a walk around the farm!

P3LH

Visit site
It would seem every whippet breeder I find comes into two categories

category a) doesn’t seem to realise they are supposed to actually be a working breed, let alone realise they are in fact a dog and seem to think they must have an owner who is with them every second of the day, with the dog Velcro-d to their body at all times. Heaven forbid the concept of allowing the dog to actually be a dog.

category b) isn’t really interested in the pups, new owners and trying to discuss dogs is like speaking to a tree.

I am not keen on buying a new addition from either, so the search continues. I am going to have a think regarding other breeds which may be suitable for requirements too. Madam is keeping me on my toes in the interim.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
i am on a whippet facebook group and people ask questions like how can i get my new whippet to sleep in the kitchen and the replies mostly say whippets expect to be in the bed with you and dont like not being in your bedroom and you have to accept this part of owning a whippet......i have friends who have whippets and they dont sleep with their owners, it takes a bit more work than other breeds but it can be done. i had a border collie/whippet/bedlington cross and she was perfect, are you against having a lurcher as i thought you were thinking of one at the beginning...if you want small purebred then border terrier could be good , i have known some very good ones who have been easy and some who have been a big challenge but have worked out ok in the end ...and as you have a corgi you should be able to cope :D

P3LH

Visit site
No, not against a lurcher but all my trusted links from the past no longer breed or know anyone who does and as they seem to, in many cases, come from less reputable sources I find it a bit off putting. Plus I wouldn’t want anything with bull blood, saluki blood, or too big.

there’s no rush. If a sighthound isn’t meant to be, then there’s plenty of other breeds to give consideration to and research.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
agree with your 3 no's, i feel the same, my last lurcher was whippet/bedlington/beardie and was much more prey driven than my other lurchers, she was 22ins to the shoulder, slightly bigger than i wanted but still a lovely dog.

Attachments

• bonnie.jpg
    bonnie.jpg
    692.6 KB · Views: 4
  • bonnie standing.jpg
    bonnie standing.jpg
    1,003.7 KB · Views: 4

P3LH

Visit site
We are still adapting to being a two, but get on a lot better than originally. Cooper was the neutral force between two quite extreme characters so his loss was felt by them both it seems. Dynamics have been interesting.

Havent seriously looked into a new addition for a little while, but did meet the most lovely border terrier pup at the farm shop today that made me ponder. Whenever the time comes I think it’ll definitely be a whippet, small lurcher, or border terrier - as I said originally. OH would still like a dachshund though.

For now, we all continue to plod on. I am in no rush for a puppy I have realised. We will be a three again though.

Attachments

• 81C2E7B2-34F7-4480-A7D1-FBD1947479F6.jpeg
    81C2E7B2-34F7-4480-A7D1-FBD1947479F6.jpeg
    545.1 KB · Views: 6
Last edited: