Value my land please?

cblover

Visit site
Our special place will be going on the market in March but I’d be curious to know what you’d value it at.

3 acre, split into an ‘L’ shape with one 2 acre field and 1 acre field. Both fields feed into a hard standing with roadside frontage. A block of 3 stables, one tack room (which is the same size as the stables) and a 25 ft barn. Block built stables, insulated and fire resistant roof materials. Mains electricity but no mains water. We do have it set up to collect water and it works fine.

I’m in north cumbria, on the edge of a small market town. Hacking can be a quiet road but with farm machinery at times or a good block to ride round but does include a busier road.

Happy to hear your thoughts? I’d had quite a few people approach me privately, some are near the land valuers estimate and some aren’t. I’m just curious. ;)

Last edited:

Lintel

Visit site
Also following.
Recently have seen similar sell here for £70000, although slightly more land but no electricity and refusals for planning permission. This is Scotland though.

I'm going to guess at £70k but honestly have no idea ?

BBP

Visit site
Latest properties near me have just sold for around £20-25k per acre. Excellent hacking though, which it doesn’t sound like you have, but I’m not sure how much value that adds.

ihatework

Visit site
It would be around 120-150k round me I reckon, but no where near Cumbria. A local land agent should give you an accurate estimate

Not_so_brave_anymore

Visit site
I would think what it would cost someone to make this set up from scratch: it's 12k per equestrian acre round here (south west), 5k for the hardstanding (I'm assuming it's a good size ie can be used for winter haying or summer lami management, I suppose I'm imagining 15mx15m min) and 25k for the stables. Plus a bit of a premium for the fact that it's all done and ready to go. So that's 70-75k. Ish.

Is there room to park a trailer/box?

cblover

Visit site
A big difference from one end of the country to the other.
Yes you can park a trailer within the fields and the hard standing is 20m x 20m approx.

L&M

Visit site
In mid wales, which I imagine is quite similar price wise to Cumbria, that would probably be marketed at £60,000 - £70,000. In neighbouring Shropshire £75,000 plus.....

We have just bought 2 acres of grazing for £20,000.

Good luck, sounds like a little gem for someone.

Last edited:

meleeka

Visit site
Did you mean to add a k, so £40k an acre?
In my area of the SE it's more like 60 to 70k an acre, plus at least 20k each stable or animal building on top.
So a 3 acre with 3 stables on is around £240 - £270k easily.
Same here. Certainly where I am it’s worth what somebody is prepared to pay for it. I know the prices have gone up, but a friend paid double what I bought my field for a year after I got mine. Hers is the same size but a shared drive to it and no way of connecting to water or electricity. I bought mine as valued by an estate agent with obviously no experience of horse owners or he’d have known it was worth more. I’d do your own research and price it as if it has mains water. You can always reduce if it doesn’t sell quickly.

Polos Mum

Visit site
When we sold in rural Lincolnshire (not down south and not glamorous) 6 years ago the agents we had used a formula

Land - £10k an acre
Stables - £12k per stable
Buildings - same as stable just divide space by stable size

Clearly the demand for outside space has been massively accelerated in the Covid world and people working out they can work from anywhere in the country the land values will even out a bit.

OP I would double land on what I have above - Cumbria nicer than Lincs

So land £20k an acre x 3 = £60k
6 x stable sizes bits of building (or more if barn is wide) = £72k

Then if I wasn't in any rush I would add 20% and just see - you never know if someone has spare funds and no office to go to anymore you might have your hand snapped off at £160k

Annagain

Visit site
Something similar with 6 acres and water was recently valued at £120k in my area so I would say it would probably be about £80-90k here, which would maybe be a bit more expensive than where you are, so I'll go £70-80k for yours.

meleeka

Visit site
Values have come back in excess of £65k with an expectation it will make over £70k. So quite a few of you were bang on. It’ll be on the market early March so watch this space. I’m fully expecting it’ll be very popular.

That would get you an acre of grass down here in the South. I think I ought to move!

Polos Mum

Visit site
Wow - I think £65k values the stables, barn and hard standing at next to nil. You will have people falling over themselves to buy it at that.

They don't make any more land, it never devalues and the exodus of people from SE / London moving north has started already as nobody will need to be in an office in London 5 days a week ever again.

Three horses on nice DIY livery at £50 a week would be £8k per year so it's a massive saving for someone.

oldie48

Visit site
Difficult to value as it's very dependent on the area. Grazing round here is 10/12K an acre but that's without any buildings and it's really difficult to get planning. Four years ago 7 acres with 2 stables went for £88K. TBF the stables were pretty rough, no hard standing and there was no electricity, It also has a footpath running through it. The people who bought it got planning to start a market garden with permission to put a mobile home on it. No doubt, eventually they will get planning for a house. They will have gorgeous views. It was sold at auction and I know a couple of horse owners were interested but were outbid.

ihatework

Visit site
Values have come back in excess of £65k with an expectation it will make over £70k. So quite a few of you were bang on. It’ll be on the market early March so watch this space. I’m fully expecting it’ll be very popular.

If you aren’t in a rush I’d be inclined to advertise at 80/85 Ono - you can always come down but you can’t go up!