Van conversion - following the very slow process

Pippity

Visit site
After dithering for a good few months, I've finally gone for it and bought a van to be converted into a horsebox. It's not going to be a speedy process, but this thread's hopefully the budget, not-DIY version of @Farmer Chalk 's marvellous thread about building his seriously luxurious horsebox!

I'd considered going for a 7.5t so I'd have the extra payload, and the added comfort of a living area. A quick browse of Preloved and Horsemart suggested I'd be able to get something much newer for my money, too.

However, I sat down and thought about what I'd be using the box for - popping down to the local unaffiliated dressage/showing venue, going out to Kelsall/Somerford/anywhere else with interesting hacking, probably endless trips to the vet knowing my luck... I have absolutely no expectation of qualifying for something that would involve staying away, and if I decide to go for a multi-day clinic at any point, my years as a Scout will, I'm sure, help me rough it out on a camp bed. (Or at a nearby B&B.)

With that in mind, I decided it made sense to get something (hopefully) easier to drive, cheaper to run, and that wouldn't involve me having to pass a driving test. There was also the consideration that I can check the MOT history on a 3.5t. I'm not aware that's available for a 7.5t, so I'd have no idea which were worth getting a mechanic to check out and which I shouldn't even bother going to look at.

Having made the decision to go for a 3.5t, it was then a choice between a conversion and a coach-built. I opted for the conversion because a) my horse is under 15hh, so I don't need the extra height, b) I got more payload with the conversion - enough that I can conceivably fit my usual hacking buddy in too, c) I could get much more for my money. (I'll weighbridge with both horses separately to confirm they can both be safely carried at the same time, don't worry!)

I intially looked for one ready-built. However, I couldn't find one that a) was from a trusted builder, b) had the extras/reinforcement I wanted, and c) didn't have a bad MOT history. (I've never had a vehicle fail an MOT, and I've had some old cars over the years. Every horsebox I looked up had failed every other year or so - just on little things, but it suggested to me that they hadn't been properly serviced.) It wasn't that I couldn't find one in my budget - I couldn't find one full stop.

So, I decided there was only one thing for it. I asked around friends who'd had boxes from the builder I was considering and they all said the same thing - communication is terrible, build time is an extra month or so from what they say, but the boxes are really well built and they wouldn't hesitate to buy from the same place again.

I'm a mechanical numpty who probably would have bought the wrong spec van, so I used the builder to source a van. I gave them my budget (£7-7.5k), and they came back with a list of vans that they'd already checked over. I made my choice and, by the end of the day, was the proud owner of a 66-plate Renault Master with a hair under 100k on the clock. My friends are already teasing me for being a White Van (Wo)Man.

I'm not sure how other builders work, but for this one, you own the van itself from day one, but it stays at their yard and they take care of insurance/SORN/etc. until the conversion is completed and you pick it up.

I'm now waiting for my build slot to come up, and using the time to find that balancing point between payload and safety.

The builder has said 10-15 days to build, but around three months for the build slot to come up; my friends have warned me it'll be more like four or five months. Throw in Christmas, and I'm telling myself not to expect it before Easter!

The standard build on this model of van has a payload of 1.25t. I'm definitely opting for the extra steel on the bulkhead (over and above the additional reinforcement that comes as standard) and the aluminium planking over the twin-skin steel floor, which adds an extra 45-50kg. I'm also going for the foldable full grill, because I don't like having it completely open above the breastbar.

I'm opting for both reversing and internal cameras. Reversing because my car has one and it turns out I'm completely spoiled and can no longer reverse without it, and internal because it's only £50 extra to have it installed at the same time.

Other things I'm considering, and would love input on, from anybody who's made it this far:

Lights: Internal? External? Night-time travelling?

Tie-up points: Will two be enough? Should I have some on each side in case of inconsiderate parkers?

Secure storage: Is it worth losing 30kg to a lockable inside locker (not big enough for a saddle), or will I be okay just securing things in the cab if I leave the van with the ramp down?

Colour: My hi-viz-loving soul is longing for neon orange so I'm visible both on the roads and when parked among other boxes; another part of me keeps pointing out that it would be fitting to have a blue box for a horse called Blue; my sensible side is saying that white will be best for hiding the inevitable scratches.

What can't you do without on your boxes? What's just a waste of space/weight/money? What should I bear in mind that I probably haven't thought of?

Hack4fun

Visit site
Exciting. Can you say who the builder is - PM if you prefer.

7.5 te plating history is online - plating is the word that is used instead of MOT for heavier vehicles.

Pippity

Visit site
7.5 te plating history is online - plating is the word that is used instead of MOT for heavier vehicles.

Yes, I knew the term was plating but I couldn't find where to check the history. I could find a DVLA blog post from earlier this year that said they were aiming to get it online, but couldn't find if it actually was online yet.

Nt9

Visit site
Search Dvla mot check type in the reg will bring up the mot history for 7.5 tonne vehicles I havent tried HGV very enlightening if you are buying.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Yes to extra tie points, they are useful in an emergency when you are alone, don't cost much or weigh much.

Being as you will have to take water anyway, I would also have a plastic water tank attached somewhere underneath. It then won't roll around inside and frees up space.

You already have a secure area when the ramp is down, it is called the cab! I word cover anything you leave with a sheet as 30kg sounds expensive on weight for a non saddle store. I would have saddle racks in the back though so they don't get trashed. They can be moved once you have arrived, or you can get saddle racks with a lockable frame to go over them.

Lights, yes! They are not expensive or heavy and in winter it is dark from 4pm through 8am, so at some point you will be travelling in the dark. I don't bother with external lights as I tend to tack up etc inside.

lauracwd2

Visit site
My van conversion had tie points on both sides, I only ever used the one next to the ramp! Mainly because there was usually always space there as vehicles see the ramp and leave you room (most of the time) and I found it easier to nip up and down the ramp to grab stuff from the back when getting ready. I had an opening in the partition that could be swung open once horse was out giving access straight through to the back which was really useful, it would have also worked as an emergency horse exit.
Saddle Racks - I had the collapsable pole type on the back door. Didn't like them, found the saddle really unstable on them. I bought a rollable tack trolley so I would just wheel that up the ramp and into the back before loading and it had all the things I needed in it that didn't live in the van normally.
Storage - I did have an extra cupboard in the back (instead of two bench seats) which was handy for keeping things free of hay but I don't think I would have missed it if it wasn't there.

Bernster

Visit site
Sounds interesting. Funny t read the bits about being over time and terrible at communicating. Def agree!

Def lights for clearing up in the winter. Storage is handy but as long as you have somewhere for the saddle and bridle that would be ok. You can use boxes to keep it hay free. Tie ups on both sides.

Other things? An elasticated stringy bit to secure the partition when it’s open, very handy if you’re on your own and it’s windy or you park on a hill. Coat hooks in the cab area, mine didn’t have any. A bigger element but I love that my partition moves all the way along so I can open it up to do stuff inside the horse area. Great if you have a horse that fidgets when they are tied up outside!

Good luck. It’s very exciting.

thommackintosh

Visit site
Oh good luck. I'll be waiting for updates, as I save up, wondering whether to do the same or go pre-owned.
I'd go for blue though, rather than orange or white 👍🏻

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Exciting. Can you say who the builder is - PM if you prefer.

I haven't heard anyone say that for years. We all used to refer to the MOT as plating back when I first had a lorry. But MOT is the correct term. Plating is the official certification of the weight of the lorry when registered for road use.

Pippity

Visit site
Oh good luck. I'll be waiting for updates, as I save up, wondering whether to do the same or go pre-owned.
I'd go for blue though, rather than orange or white 👍🏻

I would have preferred pre-owned, so I didn't have the wait! But I'm getting a far newer van than anything I could find second-hand, and I have the 'fun' of finessing the build.

Being as you will have to take water anyway, I would also have a plastic water tank attached somewhere underneath. It then won't roll around inside and frees up space.

You already have a secure area when the ramp is down, it is called the cab! I word cover anything you leave with a sheet as 30kg sounds expensive on weight for a non saddle store. I would have saddle racks in the back though so they don't get trashed. They can be moved once you have arrived, or you can get saddle racks with a lockable frame to go over them.

I hadn't even considered an attached water tank, but that's a really good idea, as is the lockable saddle rack.

I had an opening in the partition that could be swung open once horse was out giving access straight through to the back which was really useful, it would have also worked as an emergency horse exit.

Storage - I did have an extra cupboard in the back (instead of two bench seats) which was handy for keeping things free of hay but I don't think I would have missed it if it wasn't there.

The opening in the partition was one of my 'must-haves' when I was looking at pre-owned boxes, along with the removable breastbar.

If the cupboard was just useful for keeping things free of hay, I think the folding grill will work for that. (Shamelessly swiping oldie48's picture of hers as an example of what I mean.)

1573203720649.png

Thanks for all the suggestions, folks! So many things that I hadn't thought of!

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
I find that wherever I place my tack to go out, it tends to be popped just inside the back door on the floor to come home.
Water, I carry 2 x 10 litre containers in my lockable outside locker, plus buckets, grooming kit and 2 spare rugs in sealed box, for every day going out.

Colour? Having had just about every colour over the years apart from yellows or greens, my current one (2012 build) is battleship grey, doesn't show any scratches or much dirt...

Inside light worked off dual switches, main isolation one is in cab and std switch by back door.
Yes, lots of tie rings, inside too.

Happy build, hope it arrives more quickly than you think x

Farmer Chalk

Visit site
Ooh! Exciting times! I am jealous now my project is well and truly up and down the motorways!
Contrary to others I would go for external lights....they are relatively cheap and now the shorter evenings are about makes it ten times easier when you are gathering bits and bobs.... also makes it easier to manoeuvre the van at night if access is tight in your yard!
They are now all LED and use very little power and can be powered off the original van battery!

Good choice of van by the way! Good luck and exciting times!

MyBoyChe

Visit site
Definitely have tie rings both sides
I wouldnt sacrifice that much payload for storage either, use a bench seat over the wheel arch, you could always lock that somehow, although I never leave my ramp down as Ive always got bits and pieces in the grooms bit and even if you do, someone will park so close to it you cant use it!!
I have internal lights that run off a separate battery just in case I need them
We have also fitted cupboards and a worktop to one side with a small sink with pumped water, we carry a mini grill to make a cuppa or a bacon sarnie, its much lighter than carrying a gas bottle, and safer.
Exciting time :)

Alibear

Visit site
If you go out along perhaps a tie ring on the back ? Just in case? Just thought having read the thread about it recently. Rings for haynets as well as tying the horse? Internal and external? Will you want those new pads that stops the nets scratching the paintwork? It all sounds awesome to me and I shall be following your thread :)

lauracwd2

Visit site
Found a pic of the partition opening in mine and you can see the cupboard behind for info, the opening was much wider than anything I've seen on any other conversion so really useful for access for me in and out.49729382_10155979042912344_2671358749171515392_o.jpg

Pippity

Visit site
Found a pic of the partition opening in mine and you can see the cupboard behind for info, the opening was much wider than anything I've seen on any other conversion so really useful for access for me in and out.View attachment 38356

That looks a bit wider than mine will be - love it! I definitely want something with a nice, wide partition opening, whether that's for me to get in and out, or as an emergency exit for the horse.

1573214107130.png