Van Conversions

Spangle99

Visit site
Hi there, just wondered if anyone can help. I am considering getting a van which had been converted into a horse box. Hate pulling (and reversing) my trailer. Can anyone give me idea of the tax and insurance on one of them. I am looking to buy one from Three counties horse boxes. Also if anyone has one, what are you opinions.

Thanks

Walrus

Visit site
I had a Renault master with a van style conversion. It was a Y reg (2001), insurance was about 250ish (from memory) with a 5000 mile / year limit. Tax was about 19 a month. I loved mine, easy to drive and manage on my own and perfect for my short native. I did also travel my 15.3hh wbx in it too. You'll get all the usual advice about weight, payload, bulkheads, anti jump, floors etc but as long as you're sensible they are a great option.

Spangle99

Visit site
I had a Renault master with a van style conversion. It was a Y reg (2001), insurance was about 250ish (from memory) with a 5000 mile / year limit. Tax was about 19 a month. I loved mine, easy to drive and manage on my own and perfect for my short native. I did also travel my 15.3hh wbx in it too. You'll get all the usual advice about weight, payload, bulkheads, anti jump, floors etc but as long as you're sensible they are a great option.
Thanks for replying. Thats very helpful info.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Insurance fully comp value £25k was £275 a month back on mine. Tax £250

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Insurance fully comp value £25k was £275 a month back on mine.

o_O do you mean £275/year?

I ended up with a coachbuilt but did go to look at some that Three Counties Horseboxes had in production and thought they were decent boxes, OP, they have lots of options for maximising payload which would mean you wouldn't get anything in the way of fancy bits but they are good safe boxes. Equally I'm sure they would add in bells and whistles to your spec :)

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I had an old 3 counties box and it was well made IMO, basic but solid, the person that bought it from me actually lived quite close to them and they had it back to put springs on the ramp as it was basic enough not to have had them put on!

IIRC insurance/breakdown was about £275 for the year, tax was about £150?!

[59668]

Visit site
I had one from 3 counties and loved it! It was solid, and my lorry man was really impressed with the build quality too.

They were also great to deal with, even spraying and sending new rear hinges that I needed for no cost.

The only thing I changed was to have the area between the horse and jockey area filled in after my horse went over the seperating bit and got stuck. But that was an easy job, and the lorry as a whole was really lovely.