Verrrry Basic Questions.

Visit site
So, my youngest has been doing lessons for two years, she’s 11 and keen. Trainer says she’s doing well and has a nice way with the horses, she’s a real animal lover anyway.

As you’d expect she’s love her own pony at home, we live on a farm so space isn’t an issue as such.

I’ve said we can consider it in time but probably not for another two years lessons and basic exams done. She is good to help with calves etc about tue farm.

We’re to date a non horse family and there hasn’t been a horse here on the farm in maybe 60 years.

I’ve some basic questions to get my head around for a start.

Is it ok to keep a pony on its own?

Is 10*12 enough for a stable for a medium pony?

Over winter when it would be stabled how much daily exercise would it need, would being led be enough or would it need to be ridden.

Any other advice would be appreciated.
no you can't keep a pony on its own otherwise it will get lonely but you can rehome a companion pony from a rescue , 10*12 is properly a little small in my opinion and yes you will have to ride out in winter even in the wind and rain and keeping a pony is hard work so think hard about it

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
no you can't keep a pony on its own otherwise it will get lonely but you can rehome a companion pony from a rescue , 10*12 is properly a little small in my opinion and yes you will have to ride out in winter even in the wind and rain and keeping a pony is hard work so think hard about it
You have just replied to Brian's post from 2018.
If you bother to read his thread here, you'll see how the story unfolds and where he and his daughter are at now having got the pony quite a while ago, after heeding advice on here.