Verrrry Basic Questions.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Lol, welcome to the world of pony ownership ? yes, they mostly eat like locusts ?
Ref the bit, slow and easy.
If necessary, undo the cheekpiece buckle on one side so bit is hanging, pop bridle on over ears and get it comfortable, then carefully try to ease bit in and then buckle up cheek again.
If pony was ok to start with, perhaps the bit has inadvertently bumped her teeth when going in. Equines are often tolerant but when they say 'no' its usually for good reason.

MissTyc

Visit site
Some of the playing up is likely linked to settling in, but don't discount the instant effect of more or different grass than usual on some ponies! I've known a few to change personality depending on the grass situation ...

Brian.M

Visit site
Some of the playing up is likely linked to settling in, but don't discount the instant effect of more or different grass than usual on some ponies! I've known a few to change personality depending on the grass situation ...

How does one work around that ?

The pony is definitely obsessed with the longer grass through the strip fence.

Surbie

Visit site
In my experience they are always obsessed with the big grass beyond the fence. Being on her own (this is not a dig, I know you will be looking for a companion) might mean she has more time to obsess about it. Mine looks longingly through the fence at ours, but will slope off to play with his fieldmate too.

Brian.M

Visit site
The layout of this paddock leaves no view of other long grass.
I’m hoping when it’s more even all over then it will be less temptation.

Brian.M

Visit site
Been getting on well with Molly.
managing to get the bridal on without much flaff.

we’re splitting between riding after tacing up or just grooming so the bridal doesn’t always mean she’s going to be ridden.

Her chicken pals are finally out and about the yard which she is interested in. They are rescue hens god bless them, plumping up and regrowing feathers but still a bit sad looking.

I also scored a horse box. Gosh they are so expensive. I got an indespension monarque, never saw one before but imdespension trailers I’ve used before and found them good. Needs a bit of tidying but can use immediately and I’m an engineer by trade so can do the work myself.

Molly and Lian are off to their first four day camp next week. Lots of excitement.
010FD13F-34C4-47AA-9B74-C7239DB1E620.jpeg71E4F9CE-68F6-49B8-9219-67D1F6D9BA96.jpeg

The Fuzzy Furry

Visit site
What a great update, glad bridle issues are receding now.
Hope they have a great time at camp, remember to tuck non melting sweets into daughters kit!

Of course you know its mandatory to drop off a clean child, tack and pony, and pick up a spotless pony and filthy child - usually with a bag full of unworn clothes still folded? ??

Brian.M

Visit site
Not that it really matters but it's "bridle" and "tacking".
Loving your journey! Will be even better with a trailer - has your D joined Pony Club?
XX
Thank you. Being an engineer spelling and such like never quite stuck.

pony club in time, where they meet is quite a way off from us so I’m reluctant to commit to something I can’t follow through on.

Last edited:
Reactions: TPO

Brian.M

Visit site
What a great update, glad bridle issues are receding now.
Hope they have a great time at camp, remember to tuck non melting sweets into daughters kit!

Of course you know its mandatory to drop off a clean child, tack and pony, and pick up a spotless pony and filthy child - usually with a bag full of unworn clothes still folded? ??

sounds about right.

good news you now have transport, hope daughter and pony enjoy camp

Yes I don’t like borrowing. Trailer came at easy money, wasn’t being used. Euro equivalent of about £700. I’ve rectified a breaking problem, lights are working although I’ve to buy a new side lamp that’s broken. Needs a ram for the front ramp and rear ramp will need new timber.
Ryanair refund from missed holidays bought the trailer.

Brian.M

Visit site
I’m curious as to people’s opinions on feeding straw.

We have good clean barley straw and I’ve been giving some to Molly along with her hay to bulk out the hay reducing calories.

I was thinking to stuff a hay net with straw to keep her nibbling at something when she wants to ?

I’ve introduced the straw slowly to avoid any upset. Some information online says feeding straw is ok and some says not to. Surely straw is more like the rough grasses these ponies evolved to scavenge in the wild ??

Brian.M

Visit site
Great..
So its ok to have straw there all the time..
Then just split her hay in a seperate net morning and evening..

There is plenty of water available.. Self fill drinker in the stable and out in the paddock, she has free access in and out of the stable from the paddock all the time..

The Fuzzy Furry

Visit site
Does she need hay twice a day at present? None of mine get hay twice a day except in winter when weather v bad and no grass. Even the dieting fatty only gets soaked hay at night and has to forage a bare paddock in day for the odd blade of grass.

Camp photo looks great, daughter enjoying it? :)

Brian.M

Visit site
Does she need hay twice a day at present? None of mine get hay twice a day except in winter when weather v bad and no grass. Even the dieting fatty only gets soaked hay at night and has to forage a bare paddock in day for the odd blade of grass.

Camp photo looks great, daughter enjoying it? :)

Camp is going great..
Not sure if I was more nervous dropping my daughter or the pony ;)
No real reason for the hay twice only to spread it out..

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
We find that if they have access to hay they don't gorge on the grass. I have used straw to fill up a fat horse in the past. Your photos are lovely. I'm glad that your daughter is enjoying her pony. Just a word of caution - ponies have been known to stand on hens' feet and damage them.

mini_b

Visit site
We find that if they have access to hay they don't gorge on the grass. I have used straw to fill up a fat horse in the past. Your photos are lovely. I'm glad that your daughter is enjoying her pony. Just a word of caution - ponies have been known to stand on hens' feet and damage them.

we’ve had 2 casualties... One is still with us. Neither the chooks nor horse seem to be even slightly cautious of each other.

Brian.M

Visit site
We’re “mostly” getting on well and anything that’s not Perfect I’d put down to our (my) inexperience.

Tacking up is going really well, I’ve gotten more confident and feel she trusts me more with the bit

still getting to grips with her appetite. We’re keeping her on a bare paddock and weighting her hay nets which are 50/50 hay and straw. Made a rookie mistake of hanging a fresh hay net and then immediately trying to tack and ride her which she really didn’t want. She just wanted her hay net and after 20 minutes just refused to ride except back to the stable ?

She was back at the yard for lessons today and rode really well but got tires towards the end. Yard owner very happy with her progressWe’ve been building her rides up in length and work to build her condition steadily while trimming weight slowly. She will be in livery for a few days as we’re away ourselves.

Stable owner gives us stuff to work on until next time, we don’t bring her for all of Lian’s lessons as work commitments don’t allow but they are happy to have her whenever we can.

Attachments

• 22B80A67-90DB-406F-9E4A-9F51B88D6197.jpeg
    22B80A67-90DB-406F-9E4A-9F51B88D6197.jpeg
    947.4 KB · Views: 38

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
nice to hear you are getting on well. its a steep learning curve at the beginning and you will continue to learn for as long as you have a pony. i have had horses for over 50 years and still learn new things when i look after other people's horses, carry on as you are as it sounds like you are on the right track and have someone experienced to advise when necessary...

Not_so_brave_anymore

Visit site
I love every single part of this story! I often feel in this forum that there's an expectation that everyone has perfect facilities, and knows exactly what they're doing all the time, but this just shows that you can have a fantastic time with a nice (not perfect!) little pony and and more experienced people on hand to help/advise. I think your little girl is literally living the dream!