Verrrry Basic Questions.

9tails

Visit site
Quick question.

how happy would you be having the regular vet of a stables do the vetting.

Their vet is calling tomorrow and I don’t know any other vet in that area. I know my own vet is very straight.

It used to not be recommended, but I believe the regular vet would need to disclose their records to you.

Agree with Fuzzy Furry, some kickboards against the corrugated iron walls are a must. Ponies like to lean on things or scratch their bum.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Quick question.

how happy would you be having the regular vet of a stables do the vetting.

Their vet is calling tomorrow and I don’t know any other vet in that area. I know my own vet is very straight.
I really wouldn't be using their own vet, can your vet recommend a practice in that area, or if you post rough location, am sure you could get recommendations on here.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
i would say no....better to get completely independent vet IMO... ask your own vet for recommendations or as FF says let us know a rough area the pony is and maybe someone will be able to recommend a
vet for you..dont know if i have missed a post but assume pony was what you wanted..

Brian.M

Visit site
I actually rang the practice and they disclosed straight off they were the regular vet practice of the stables.

They said they would independently get the pony or could recommend an alternative practice.

So we went with an alternative recommend practice. I can’t be there but I’ve spoken directly to the vet who is going out.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
sorry, call me suspicious, i would ask your own local vet if the practice is ok. as you are new to horse buying you may not be aware of problems with horses being vetted by a vet recommended by the sellers connections...it may all be fine ,hope it is..

Brian.M

Visit site
sorry, call me suspicious, i would ask your own local vet if the practice is ok. as you are new to horse buying you may not be aware of problems with horses being vetted by a vet recommended by the sellers connections...it may all be fine ,hope it is..

it was another practice in the same area, I may as well googled and came to the same place by chance.

the vet I spoke to was professional and knows my own local vetinary practice owner that we deal with for the farm.

I’ve allot of respect for vets, have to trust someone at some stage.

it’s a real eye opener, I’ve spent as much on a pedigree bull without half the checks.

as the lady from our own stables says, at some stage it’s going to come down to me making a decision, I’m fine with that

it’s done now and the report will be emailed on this evening. Vet was very happy, pony slightly overweight but nothing of concern.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
i am afraid that there are quite a few not so honest people in the horse world so its best to be cautious. glad all seems ok and you get your daughters new pony soon.... i hope you realise that if anyone gets a new animal on here pics are expected, please :D:D

Brian.M

Visit site
We brought home Molly today.

it all went well, she hadn’t been in a horse box in a while but loaded without fuss, traveled well and unloaded easy.

we walked her in a paddock and let her eat for a while and then brought her into the stable to relax.

Fun times ahead.
thank you everyone for the advice and encouragement. Doing this right is very important. 12AFB831-FCA5-4B53-94D4-33C9B4297EFE.jpeg8D2B9AE3-56FC-4385-A139-02051C843403.jpeg

mini_b

Visit site
Awww that is lovely!!!
she looks very sweet, cheeky face but sweet!
I’ve been following your thread with admiration, just skipped over to see if you had posted photos.
Did you manage to get a pony companion?

I hope the trial goes well for you all :)

Visit site
I would definitely recommend a companion, having one will cause issues if the pony is the needy type and could escalate to ridden and leading issues due to separation anxiety, 2 companions would be ideal in order to avoid this, if you are looking for easy companions I would recommend going to a rescue home for horses and adopting a horse that just wants to be put in the field as your daughter may struggle finding the time to excessive and care for three horses, however to keep costs down it might be suitable to have a look at local stables as they would provide company for your daughters horse free of charge and someone will be there to look after the horse if you go on holiday! For basic knowledge it’s well worth buying the BHS horse and stable management book and the stage 1 book as this will cover the basics on looking after horses and good luck

The Fuzzy Furry

Visit site
I would definitely recommend a companion, having one will cause issues if the pony is the needy type and could escalate to ridden and leading issues due to separation anxiety, 2 companions would be ideal in order to avoid this, if you are looking for easy companions I would recommend going to a rescue home for horses and adopting a horse that just wants to be put in the field as your daughter may struggle finding the time to excessive and care for three horses, however to keep costs down it might be suitable to have a look at local stables as they would provide company for your daughters horse free of charge and someone will be there to look after the horse if you go on holiday! For basic knowledge it’s well worth buying the BHS horse and stable management book and the stage 1 book as this will cover the basics on looking after horses and good luck
Err, read through the thread, Brian acknowledged last June he needed a 2nd one :)

Brian.M

Visit site
Err, read through the thread, Brian acknowledged last June he needed a 2nd one :)
Yea a companion will happen in time, probably a rescue to help out those in need.

Molly was being bullied a bit in the paddocks she was in and the lady from our own stables said she is very relaxed and likely enjoying a bit of peace for the moment.

its not a sterile environment either. Our cats are about the paddock and stable lots, we have some rescue chickens up the yard from her and while they are housed until they build strength they will be out and about soon. One group of cattle are in the field next to her paddock and have taken to standing in the gateway watching her.

I have a small radio to leave on low in the tac room, I know it’s good for cattle and it will help keep the fox back from the yard. It can’t do any harm either.

OrangeAndLemon

Afraid of exorcism
Visit site
She's a very cute pony.
That pink nose could easily get sunburned so have some factor 50 handy for the hotter days. Henny show supplies do a special coloured suncream so you can tell when it has rubbed off.

Orangehorse

Visit site
In a perfect world a pony needs a companion, but I bet there are many, many single ponies living on a farm with other animals, its not like it is stuck in a paddock by itself away from all company.

Best of luck, lovely pony, and I hope your daughter has plenty of fun in years to come.

Brian.M

Visit site
She's a very cute pony.
That pink nose could easily get sunburned so have some factor 50 handy for the hotter days. Henny show supplies do a special coloured suncream so you can tell when it has rubbed off.

yes seller warned us and gave the balance of what they were using.

thankfully her paddock is in what was our old “haggard” that’s an old Irish language word for a small fortified field surrounded with stone walls and trees, traditionally used to store reeks of loose hay over the winter safe from stock and storms. So there is shade from sun and shelter from wind.

Brian.M

Visit site
For basic knowledge it’s well worth buying the BHS horse and stable management book and the stage 1 book as this will cover the basics on looking after horses and good luck

We have the books already. Part of the deal when my daughter first wanted a pony two years ago was that she would complete all the basic Official Aire exams to build basic competency before we got a pony.
that allowed me time to refurbish the stable area.

Brian.M

Visit site
We finally got a saddle fitting done. One fitter let us down and another gentleman I contacted came straight off and sorted us out.
Pony was very fidgety, not ridden for a few days and we’re having high winds and blasting rain at the moment.

Anyway, we are ready when this storm passes.

I think first ride out I will use the lunge line on the bridal For security.

The Fuzzy Furry

Visit site
We finally got a saddle fitting done. One fitter let us down and another gentleman I contacted came straight off and sorted us out.
Pony was very fidgety, not ridden for a few days and we’re having high winds and blasting rain at the moment.

Anyway, we are ready when this storm passes.

I think first ride out I will use the lunge line on the bridal For security.
Sensible idea, I'd lunge pony 1st perhaps, but def keep hold on 1st trip out.
Then maybe lead daughter round an enclosed paddock a few times, before letting her loose.

Brian.M

Visit site
Sensible idea, I'd lunge pony 1st perhaps, but def keep hold on 1st trip out.
Then maybe lead daughter round an enclosed paddock a few times, before letting her loose.

that’s what we did.
We tac’d her up and walked the enclosed yard for a while.
Switched to the lunge rope and went to the field. Started in small circles. Then walked the peremiter of the field both ways. Then I let her off when Lian was happy.
All went swimmingly. Even though it was blustery and wet they had no problem. Molly didn’t try to feed which was a worry for Lian and myself beforehand.
6BE84E3F-B208-471F-933D-0BD74E1A79E9.jpeg69EBBB30-0039-4008-9163-8447E815F20F.jpeg52016F53-E2A4-4C8D-B06B-366D6C462359.jpeg

JJS

Visit site
that’s what we did.
We tac’d her up and walked the enclosed yard for a while.
Switched to the lunge rope and went to the field. Started in small circles. Then walked the peremiter of the field both ways. Then I let her off when Lian was happy.
All went swimmingly. Even though it was blustery and wet they had no problem. Molly didn’t try to feed which was a worry for Lian and myself beforehand.
View attachment 50747View attachment 50748View attachment 50749

They look great together! What a lovely thread to read through :)

Brian.M

Visit site
Pony has started playing up a bit, Nicola from stables says she likely just playing up on our inexperience.

refusing to take the bit, lifting her head back and to the side.

So we’re working on trust exercises now. Placing the bit under her chin and the bridle against her head. Moving the bit down and resting against her lips. I can get her to take the lead rein in her mouth with my thumb on her tongue without much bother so we do that a few times each session.

Nicola said he can come out on Monday if we’re still in bother.

The nuances of pony ownership and relationships are fascinating. It’s disappointing but we’re just continuing to build a trusting relationship with her, it’s a long term thing so short term problems are to be expected. She has a lovely nature and the times we did get the bit in her she loved being ridden and had no problems, forward but easy to ride and willing to please is how Lian describes her,

On a seperare note, my god the appetite of the thing !! Her paddock has lots of grass so we’re strip grazing it. I wish our beef cattle would have such driven appetites. It’s a different mentality trying to just maintain condition, I’m programmed to managing pasture for weight gain which is simple in comparison.