very cut-away headpiece bridles?

ghostie

Visit site
Is anyone able to recommend a cavesson bridle that is very cut-away behind the ears please? My horse is extremely sensitive around his ears - at the moment he's in an Elevator bridle without the browband, but this isn't enough for him - he seems to need something that's physically cut away a lot more.

I've looked at old threads on here and the Dy'on Difference looked really promising, but I can only find it with a flash noseband and I want a cavesson as I really don't see the point of bunging a flash on him when he doesn't need it. I could probably pull the flash off but I don't want to spend several hundred pounds on a bridle for it to look tatty!

He's had all the usual vet/osteo checks - it's a residual issue from a nasty case of infected aural plaques he had when I got him. The vet believes there is no pain as such, just that he is extremely sensitive to his ears being touched.

Thank you :)

mjcssjw2

Visit site
there is at least one john whitaker with a cut away head piece - i got one for xmas - but I am not sure how that compares with the elevator. I could take a picture of mine, but my horse has the fluffiest ears!!

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
if you were going to spend the kind of money that the Dy'on costs, perhaps you could get one made by a local saddler to your spec?

ghostie

Visit site
the john whitaker comes with a flash, but it comes of and doesn't look tatty - the bridle was around £60

Thanks - do you know which one it is please? I've had a look on their website and can't see any that are cut-away behind the ears - I want as much clearance as possible :)

MyDogIsAnIdiot

Visit site
I've got the Dy'on anatomic bridle, so not as severely cut-back as the difference range but enough that my mare prefers it. I had the flash loop removed from the noseband for £15 by a local saddler. Beautiful leather too :).

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Interesting thought - I wonder how you even go about finding someone that can do that - never even occured to me!

I'm in a different part of the world to you but if I had the cash I'd go to Issy Russell who makes the IR bridles. Sure some HHOers could offer other recommendations for saddlers who will make you a bridle :) Or as MDIAI says above, buy the Dy'on and just get the flash loop removed properly :)

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
It is extremely easy to remove the little tab that constitutes a flash noseband; just carefully cut off with a Stanley knife. If you can thread a needle you can go a step further, open the stitching remove the tab and sew closed. Crank nosebands are only crank if you tighten them up. Just use loose and you have a padded cavesson. Can't help with the cut back ear crown piece, sorry.

alainax

Visit site
I've got the Dy'on anatomic bridle, so not as severely cut-back as the difference range but enough that my mare prefers it. I had the flash loop removed from the noseband for £15 by a local saddler. Beautiful leather too :).

This, was just about to say if they only thing wrong with the Dy'on one is the flash loop, just have it removed.

I have a Dy'on rolled leather double, an absolutely stunning bridle. Well worth the money :)

ghostie

Visit site
good god, just realise my link might be seen as advertising, bliddy ell! pity you can't go back and edit a post

surely it's only advertising if it's your own advert you're linking to rather than just linking so I can see a picture?

Thanks for the link anyway - picture much appreciated :)

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
cremedemonthe posted these two pics on a thread a while back, I don't think he will mind and would be happy to have a PM (NB monthe not menthe ;))

This he said was a headpiece kit to be used with other bridles

solutiononhorse2_zps7e1e44d7.jpg

and then there was this one.

daisydogharness037_zpsf2042921.jpg

Lemonpolo

Visit site
I have no suggestions but totally sympathise. I have to take my bridle apart to get it on my boy as he just hates having his ears bent at all and is not a fan of anyone going near them at all most of the time! So watching with interest to see if I can find anything that will be easier than a standard bridle.

Love the second one ester posted, just need to find one that has a clip on brow band to save me threading the straps through!

Lemonpolo

Visit site
I have spent the last year looking for something like that! Thank you so much :) would prefer leather but to be honest it's got to be worth a try at that price!

I do wonder if he would be happier with a cut-away as well though.

Last edited:

lizness

Visit site
I don't think this is cut back enough but is a bridle that I made for my mare you can see it is slightly cut away around the ears. You could get a saddler to do something similar

HeresHoping

Visit site
The Horze bridles have cutaway headpieces. Very happy with mine for a budget version. Horse stopped shaking his head, too.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HORZE-CONSTANCE-FLASH-BRIDLE-WITH-COMFORT-PADDED-CUT-AWAY-HEADPIECE-/380459079058

Last edited: