Very Large Lump On Pony's Belly

MorganAN00

Visit site
My pony has a very large 'lump' underneath her belly. It is completely solid and feels just like normal skin. It doesn't seem to be bothering her. I have noticed a similar lump on her previously but much smaller and it disappeared on its own. The lump is flat and more visible on one side than the other. She also has a very small lump on her back leg.

MorganAN00

Visit site

This is a picture of the lump on the bigger side

The smaller side

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Looks like ventral edema and I would advise you get the vet asap as it could be protein loss, or it could be a hernia, seroma, abscesses and hematomas. Either way you need the vet on this one, I don't like to delay with swellings like this.

Has your horse received a blow to this area or a kick???
It could be to a circulation condition

Last edited:

whiteflower

Visit site
Definitely worth a call to the vet. I have an oldie who periodically gets exactly this, vets have blood tested all clear and we don't know what causes it so I monitor it. It can be as simple as a fly bite but can also be caused by some more nasty conditions so it's always worth getting the vet to check/run bloods in the first instance to rule out liver, heart or other issues that could cause this

SEL

Visit site
I agree vet needed. A livery on my old yard self treated something similar thinking it was a reaction to a fly bite. It was actually protein loss.

Dynamo

Visit site
Oh dear. Another one to say please don't delay in getting the vet out. I'm afraid that ventral oedema can often be a clinical sign of something quite serious and systemic. Not always, but often. For your own sake as well as that of the horse please get a vet straight away; quite apart from the horse's health, you wouldn't want to risk having a horse collapse under you and that is a very real possibility if there is something serious going on. I say this as someone with direct experience, though in my horse's case the ventral oedema occurred after initial collapse.

ETS hoping for you that it's caused by the pony simply being massively overweight - you need to address that if all else is clear.

Last edited:

claret09

Visit site
I totally agree with everyone else if this was my horse I would have the vet out and believe me I don't have them out willy nilly because I don't believe in it. good luck I hope everything is ok