Vet practices taken over by big business

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
would that still be the case with competition rules and the like?

I've no idea tbh, my knowledge of this and practices only being run by MRCVS holders dates back to the 90s. Possibly not though, an island vet I knew was always worried that some semi-retired vet would move there and take her SA clients as it was those that kept her afloat-the FA and horse side wouldn't.

windand rain

Visit site
yes an employer can put a covenant on any employee I had to wait two years before I could design plant labels for another company I actually retired so didnt need it but it was in my contract

Stiff Knees

Visit site
I heard on the grapevine that the departing partner was allowed to take a chosen client list with him but I have no idea if that is the truth of the situation. I think the majority of clients were disappointed that Medivet had been allowed in as the locals have a sentimental attachment to the practice and the values held by Alf Wight (aka James Herriot) and Donald Sinclair all those years ago. The two remaining partners are thoroughly decent people though so I'm hoping that their influence remains for at least the short term. I still consider myself very lucky to have this practice on my doorstep.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
yes an employer can put a covenant on any employee I had to wait two years before I could design plant labels for another company I actually retired so didnt need it but it was in my contract

I don't know how long ago that was or where it was but if it was recent and in England, then the advice I was given when I left my employer to go independent is that more than six months is an unfair restraint of trade.

paddy555

Visit site

my vet left the practice he was a partner in about 5 years ago and was restricted for 2 years. Perhaps a partner is different to an employee, no idea.

sky1000

Visit site
I am pleased to see you back Dry Rot. I suppose time will tell whether it is good that vet practices are being bought up. I heard about this yesterday from a vet nurse and today I see it on here.

Dry Rot

Visit site
I now have an estimate from one of the vets I have contacted for the 'routine operation' (castration). So I have two prices, one from an independent and one from the practice owned by big business, within a radius of about 40 miles. I have also discovered that a third practice will still do microchipping, vaccinations, etc. but not surgery, which will be a help. But two doesn't really make a market, does it?

If you want to do some interesting reading, have a look at the notepaper or a bill from your practice that has been taken over and do a Google for the company name you will find somewhere. It shocked me to see just how many practices had been taken over and what profits these big businesses are making. Big business is in it to make money for their share holders. Traditional independent practices are (or used to be?) in it to offer a service to their clients. That, to my mind, is the difference between a trade and a profession.

When the big business vet came here, I will say I was impressed with the efficiency. I think the castration took about 30 minutes. I objected to being charged for an assistant on top of the charge for the castration and this was refunded "as a gesture of good will". I've received no explanation for one drug that was charged separately. The cost seemed to be 40% higher than the same job done two years ago before the take over. I pointed out a condition in one pony that the vet had apparently not heard of before and later sent photos of a more serious case for the vet's information -- the photos were acknowledge by a practice nurse as received but not (nor thanks) from the vet, which I consider bad manners (but then I am old school!). I was charged a call out fee which I would normally consider reasonable (it's a 70 mile round trip, after all) but since heard that they'd also visited a neighbour. If there are, say, half a dozen visits in the same area on the same day, is it usual to charge each one a separate fee for the call out? A castration is not usually an emergency.

I pointed out that what was sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander. I don't charge for the hot water, soap, and towel (or coffee) which is always offered. A previous vet was both surprised and grateful as he usually uses wipes but this vet says he would refuse to operate if it wasn't supplied. That would be interesting. Who pays for the call out then?

OK, I am being pedantic and I should probably be grateful for what I received. I am sure the new vet (who is also new to the practice that's been taken over) is actually very good, but once I'm annoyed I start nit-picking and looking through the rules and the legislation. There have been too many attempts to scam me, just because I have grey hair, so I am super sensitive, but the reaction to this thread does seem to confirm that it is a matter for concern.!

baran

Visit site
One of the up and coming equine vet practices in the Central Belt are mobile vets-2 of them used to work at the Dick Vet. They have built up a great reputation-there was/is another mobile equine vets down in the Borders as well although they also had a small animal practice. If you have hospitals near by for referrals then it might be the way of the future.

How does a small practice cope with out of hours callouts? So much horse work tends to be out of hours, just because so many people are at work during they day.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
How does a small practice cope with out of hours callouts? So much horse work tends to be out of hours, just because so many people are at work during they day.

they do their own OOH-I expect they just work hard. At the big equine practice I used to work at, vets spent 7 nights on with two on call and others were available when needed.

Silver Clouds

Visit site
I think it can be an awkward situation for practice partners, and know that locally one practice was vilified for 'selling out' to a large conglomerate. Clients often don't consider the reasons behind the decision, and that usually a lot of thought has gone into it.

A friend of mine has just turned 60, and is thinking about his retirement; he is one of two partners who own an equine-only practice (and employ three other vets). He said that because of the increasing costs of living (particularly house prices) he is struggling to find a younger vet who would be able to buy him out so that he can retire. He and his business partner (who is the same age) have decided that if they can't find any vets who are willing and able to buy them out in the next two years then they will have no choice but to sell to a large company. Both of them have physically suffered from years of working with horses (arthritis and kick injuries mainly), and don't think they could keep going past 65 at best.

I think there are issues with the way that some of the large companies operate, but also that it can also be a struggle financially for independent practices to keep going. I don't know what the solution is though!