Vet reckons little feral pony might be in foal - if she is, what do I need to know?

windand rain

Visit site
You need to be there see her at least hourly preferrably all the time it is exhausting but could mean the difference between life and death to both foal and mare. Overnight is the most common but some are obliging and arrive before bed time or after the work hours. I do like the vet to come within a 12 hour window to check placenta and foal for feeding and pooing. Colt foals may need a baby enema so ask the vet. Have had a few foal at evening meal time (human) which is handy as I checked went into the house ate tea and the foal arrived in the time it took to eat. It would have been fine if there had been a small issue as it was only a few minutes. 3 hours is far too long

windand rain

Visit site
From when she is restless, has big teats pointing down and showing any sign at all. Good idea to watch a few normal deliveries on line and maybe a redbag or mal presentation give you an idea if things are going awry

maya2008

Visit site
Mare don't do what we want ever. I had CCTV set up, an alarm set to every 15mins. I knew she was "close" but the PH tests were not saying imminent, she was not hugely bagged, vulva was not flushed or overly stretched, tummy was not particularly V shape. Checked the CCTV at approx 5:15AM, mare standing eating. didn't quite get back over to sleep and at 5:20AM i looked again and there was a foal on the floor.

As for separating, mares in the wild will be more inclined to separate themselves and come back with the foal. In our world they don't have the space to do that so it can be very stressful for them to have to fight off all the curious onlookers and a foal can get confused or pinched by a particularly hormonal/possessive mare. If you find her naturally trying to spend more time away from everyone else you should separate. Can you do that with proper fencing or will it be electric? Because i would not at all be happy using electric. If the foal ended up on one side and the mare the other, its a disaster waiting to happen.

We only have electric - everywhere - the outer fencing is not at all suitable for horses, so we have fieldguard ‘inner’ fencing to keep them away from it (rented land, combination of rickety barbed wire, sheep netting and all sorts - in places there is just scrub and no fence at all). It is the wide, thick tape with proper posts not the bendy plastic ones.

Equi

Visit site
Based on the photos, that fence won't keep a foal out of the bad fence area, so maybe need another strand or two in the middle parts before she foals although its still not ideal. Its highly likely you won't see when she is about to foal or when she foals, so all you can do is pray she naturally does what nature intended. These little ferals tend to just get on with it, if they didn't there would not be so many of them about, but many still die from it all.

Do you have a stable or shelter in the field tho? The foal won't be waterproof so if the mare decides a wet cold night is the night, it could freeze. Older wiser mares may hold off or birth into a thick gorse/sheltered area but i don't know if a young maiden mare would know to do that, or if that shelter would be available.

maya2008

Visit site
The whole situation is not suitable, from anyone’s point of view.

- no proper fencing (can do 3 strand electric with decent posts but that is it really)
- no stable (husband can try to make it safer next week but even so it isn’t ideal)
- no one available for weeks on end hourly without endangering either people’s lives (Husband’s job), or our home/the other horses (I am self employed, main earner, client facing position, need to do a decent job or clients go elsewhere).
- currently no transport as it is being fixed
- no livery spaces in the area even if I could get her there
- rented land so even if we wanted to, we cannot put in permanent fencing.
- no other land with better fencing available

What would you do? Quite prepared to do our best for her, but I cannot provide facilities I do not have. Will chat with vets in the morning. They know our set-up (and didn’t panic about it when they said she might be in foal). They probably also have contacts with charities if they think that would be best for her. Not sure what else we can do really. Even the local studs are set up for bigger animals.

Should have bought a sheep to keep older mare company!!

windand rain

Visit site
I think you have been dumped in an unwanted situation I wonder if you could hire a round pen for a while. You are between a rock and hardplace not of your making and in reality have to balance the risks as best you can. All the above is the ideal not everyone can do it and given the choice wouldn't or would and chance it. In your situation you can only do your best hopefully it will all go smoothly or you will manage to find a route through. Good luck and don't despair most foalings go okay and with a bit of luck she'll oblige at a civilised hour either before bed time or once everyone is up.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
If you do have a local stud, they may be prepared to help you out.

Most of us are probably over thinking it to be fair. But it does go somewhat to show that horses can throw a curve ball at you, and your set up needs to be able to accommodate it.

Bradsmum

Visit site
Years ago there was a field opposite ours that a travelling family rented and put several native ponies on including a stallion. Time and again these little ponies gave birth with no intervention (usually during the night) and we would ring a family member to report a birth and whether we had seen the foal feeding :rolleyes:. Certainly not ideal but they do just get on with it as nature intended. Try not to panic but have vet's number to hand and visit as much as you can and in the meantime handle her and get her used to the shelter by feeding her in there if possible so that you can use that if you need to. As you say you were not geared up for an in foal mare but are now trying to make the best of it, so just do the best you can.

tristar

Visit site
she needs watching most of the time ask the locals to check on her for anything unusual, rolling, holding up tail, sweating, lying down straining, they can foal up to a month early

signs can be a line forming underneath in the udder area and the udder swelling and spots of milk setting on the teats, also a slackening of the muscles in quarters as the pelvis relaxes to let the foal through, leaving the others

as she is so young it is an extra worry

the reasons for needing to be there include, malpresentation so she cant push the foal out, the foal needs clear its nostrils to breath

i would separate her from the others as a priority

i have known of mares whos water broke and could not deliver the foal left and later was put down, geldings and other horses attack newborns, even running through fences, sometimes a big foal is difficult to deliver, an hour is a lifetime in foaling terms, a foal can die very quickly, they need to come out get their rib cage free to expand,

all this is short term, and probably none of it will happen, but you need to get on the ball til its done, and bless the little mite, take care

maya2008

Visit site
The guy at Fieldguard says that their wide tape, properly tensioned (with 3-4 strands) on wooden posts is safe for foals? Anyone heard of accidents with this specific set-up?

We have had no issues with it all winter, where previous electric set-ups were no end of hassle. Maybe he is right? We could do what he suggested in the smaller paddock.

ihatework

Visit site
The guy at Fieldguard says that their wide tape, properly tensioned (with 3-4 strands) on wooden posts is safe for foals? Anyone heard of accidents with this specific set-up?

We have had no issues with it all winter, where previous electric set-ups were no end of hassle. Maybe he is right? We could do what he suggested in the smaller paddock.

I’d do that, field guard will be fine. Just have a strand quite low down, foals are horrors for having a nap and accidentally rolling under the fence. Causes mayhem.

maya2008

Visit site
I’d do that, field guard will be fine. Just have a strand quite low down, foals are horrors for having a nap and accidentally rolling under the fence. Causes mayhem.

Thanks, it was going to be Field Guard fencing anyway, so only change is all wooden posts and double the number of strands. Glad I didn’t order the stuff before we found out she was pregnant!

I also now have a much more detailed list of things to watch for that should give us a window of a few days where we need to watch her hourly, which is doable. My husband will have to warn work he might need emergency holiday, as he is the one who gets holiday pay, so it will have to be him up at night (he works nights anyway so little difference for him!).

I know she may not show all the signs etc, but it is what it is.

Last edited:

maya2008

Visit site
Can anyone recommend a camera? Once she is in the smaller paddock, we can stick it on the barn somewhere. Then I can watch during the day as I work, which takes care of daylight hours.

Does she need special feed once she is feeding a baby? Calcium/protein supplement or…?

And…separating.
Once she is near, obviously she goes in the smaller ‘foal-safe’ paddock. I take it instinct will take over and she will be ok with this, as the others will still be within sight. How long do they stay separated for? Do we put a kind friend in with her after a certain amount of days/weeks? I have one who has nannied a just-weaned foal before, who it might be a good idea for the foal to know well before weaning.

Any ideas on signs for the footpath to stop all and sundry climbing over to see the ‘cute foal’? Going to shore up the barbed wire and add live electric fence just inside to make it difficult to get in, but we have a housing estate just up the road…

windand rain

Visit site
Food wise she just needs a good balanced diet with enough food value to feed her and her foal she is still growing so I would feed alfalfa chaff molasses free with soaked alfalfa nuts and suregrow balancer. Alfalfa is high in calcium and protein low in sugar and starch. If she needs more calories micronised linseed will top them up without over facing the mare. Suregrow is designed for native types so should help both grow evenly and without speeding up growth which causes joint problems.Alfalfa can cause skin and temperament issues but is normally fine I only use Emerald Green feeds as they are chemical free. sustainable and grown less than 10 miles from me. If she doesnt tolerate the alfalfa slowly switch her to their grassnuts and chaff. Company wise we waite until about 4 weeks ol to mix a companion in and the rest of the herd one at a time once all is settled. Don't know how to stop unwanted tresspassers but an electric fence on and powerul is usually a deterrant. Don't forget warnng signs.

ihatework

Visit site
Can anyone recommend a camera? Once she is in the smaller paddock, we can stick it on the barn somewhere. Then I can watch during the day as I work, which takes care of daylight hours.

Does she need special feed once she is feeding a baby? Calcium/protein supplement or…?

And…separating.
Once she is near, obviously she goes in the smaller ‘foal-safe’ paddock. I take it instinct will take over and she will be ok with this, as the others will still be within sight. How long do they stay separated for? Do we put a kind friend in with her after a certain amount of days/weeks? I have one who has nannied a just-weaned foal before, who it might be a good idea for the foal to know well before weaning.

Any ideas on signs for the footpath to stop all and sundry climbing over to see the ‘cute foal’? Going to shore up the barbed wire and add live electric fence just inside to make it difficult to get in, but we have a housing estate just up the road…

Feeding wise once she has foaled I agree with windandrain, some suregrow and Alfa is fine. But if she goes onto good grass at any point after you might want to cut back. You will need to be guided by how conditioned the mare and foal are and how quickly foal is growing.

I would try and get the mare settled in her separate area sooner rather than later. If you have a calm nanny mare I’d be inclined to have them together for a bit. Whether they stay together during/after foaling will be a bit of a gut feel, I’m inclined to say yes provided you can keep an eye.

I’d keep mare, foal and nanny separate from the rest for at least 3-4 months. But ideally next to each other if possible.

tristar

Visit site
there are lots of stud mixes that have the right vits mins, that the mare and foal can have without buying lots of different stuff and she needs worming before foaling

if you move her to a new place she needs 6 weeks to develop immunity to pass to the foal

tristar

Visit site
Would it be best for them to be able to go in and out of the stable at will? Fencing logistics is fun…!

that is my ideal, foal can run and play, then lie down in the stable as it feels

hope the fencing gets sorted, its surprising how quickly foals learn about elec

maya2008

Visit site
Progress today! It is two weeks since her teats started to change - any ideas how long? She is settled atm, sticking with the herd, so pretty sure not imminent!!

Attachments

• CBBCAC4E-DCEA-452D-8909-A50870C340A9.jpeg
    CBBCAC4E-DCEA-452D-8909-A50870C340A9.jpeg
    375.5 KB · Views: 36
  • DB234F09-6A26-4F5F-9D99-2C92487BE492.jpeg
    DB234F09-6A26-4F5F-9D99-2C92487BE492.jpeg
    293.8 KB · Views: 39

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
My case study of one: boobs started filling up like that 6 weeks from foaling date, they would fill and then shrink and fill again. When she got closer they stayed filled (more filled than your pics show but I gather they don't all read the manual ;) )