Vet tomorrow

Ceriann

Visit site
Performance issues led to a work up 6 weeks ago, which pointed to hocks. X-rays showed mild changes only (she’s 14 so not unusual) so went for cartrophen option first. It’s definitely helped as her walk, enthusiasm and general responsiveness has improved but in some ways that’s highlighted the issue in canter. She struggles to maintain it, though happy to transition. So vet back out. We can block and confirm hocks or medicate to confirm hocks and I obviously have choices around medication. I’m tempted to steroid to diagnose and if it’s successful go for gel or one of the newer (pricier) options next time. She’s now barefoot and coping well so that will hopefully also help. Any advice - appreciating this has been done many times before. She’s a real treasure so beyond the obvious aim that she’s comfortable I’m loathe to think she might not manage the ridden work. We’ve had a rough few years with a medial branch injury and feet issues so could with a break!

Fieldlife

Visit site
I didnt think the gel was as effective after steriods have been put into same joint.

If you are insured / have some vet funds saved - I'd probably x-ray and block first.

Then if it does block to hocks, start with either gel or steriods depending on vet advice.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I posted this on another thread.

Steroids didn't last long with my mare either, she had firstly just the one hock done then both.

Arthramid has been a game changer. Chiro vet saw my mare recently and asked when her hocks were done with gel - which was August '20. She was incredibly impressed with how well the gel injections have lasted.
I can add that regular vet was out earlier this week and is also incredibly pleased with her. She was 14yo when her hocks were medicated with gel, and had recently had a major pelvic injury, so she was all over very unlevel back then. She's since healed up very well. The gel gets the credit for the improvement in her hock activity.

Ceriann

Visit site
We’ve x-rayed and there were mild changes - left hock marginally worse, which is consistent with presentation. She’s not insured but have a rainy day fund for vets bills. Vet was leaning toward blocking first when we discussed next steps but also happy to try medicating to diagnose too. I think the issue is steroids after gel not the other way roubd?

Ceriann

Visit site
I posted this on another thread.

I can add that regular vet was out earlier this week and is also incredibly pleased with her. She was 14yo when her hocks were medicated with gel, and had recently had a major pelvic injury, so she was all over very unlevel back then. She's since healed up very well. The gel gets the credit for the improvement in her hock activity.
Thank you. I assume you knew it was hocks at point of using arthramid?

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Thank you - is that arthramid?
Yes :).

The hock arthritis was diagnosed firstly on symptoms, but also by blocking and by x rays. My mare is not insured either. I don't think that arthramid was widely available when she was first diagnosed maybe 5 years ago, hence using steroids initially. I would never bother with steroids again, I'd go straight to arthramid.

Ceriann

Visit site
Yes :).

The hock arthritis was diagnosed firstly on symptoms, but also by blocking and by x rays. My mare is not insured either. I don't think that arthramid was widely available when she was first diagnosed maybe 5 years ago, hence using steroids initially. I would never bother with steroids again, I'd go straight to arthramid.
There is something new out now too and can’t remember what vet called it - about 1500 a joint! I’ve tried googling but no luck so will wait for vet! Steroids are clearly hit and miss so blocking to confirm x-rays is probably sensible! She’s a lovely horse to ride and thrives on her schooling (she’s also a good hack but doesn’t enjoy it) so if I can get her comfortable to continue that would be amazing!

spacefaer

Visit site
My vet recommends steroids first to reduce any inflammation within the hocks, then arthramid 4-6 weeks later. It's worked spectacularly well for us several times so far.
Not necessarily the cheapest option but it makes the arthramid more effective, so probably cost effective in the long run

Ceriann

Visit site
My vet recommends steroids first to reduce any inflammation within the hocks, then arthramid 4-6 weeks later. It's worked spectacularly well for us several times so far.
Not necessarily the cheapest option but it makes the arthramid more effective, so probably cost effective in the long run
Thanks - how often are you repeating? I thought there was a school of thought you couldn’t use steroids after gel - are you perhaps so far apart it’s ok? Do you mind me asking what you are paying?

spacefaer

Visit site
@Ceriann
We use the steroids first then the gel. Most recently, it's been about 15 months - so not great, but he's a high mileage 18hh Irish draught so not a hug surprise either.

He's going back next week for another round as he's currently bilaterally lame behind as it's all worn off.

SEL

Visit site
@Ceriann
We use the steroids first then the gel. Most recently, it's been about 15 months - so not great, but he's a high mileage 18hh Irish draught so not a hug surprise either.

He's going back next week for another round as he's currently bilaterally lame behind as it's all worn off.
Another round of arthramid? Didn't know it could be done again. OP - steroids had very little effect on mine. Arthramid meant for the first time she could bring her hinds forward for the farrier without all h3ll breaking loose

Fieldlife

Visit site
I think I the reason gel isn’t recommended (AFAIK) after repeated steroid injections is because steroid injections are at inflammatory but can speed up the degradation of the actual joint structure. Once joint is pretty degraded don’t think there is enough infrastructure for the gel to work as well.

Be interested to hear if others have been told different.

millikins

Visit site
You've probably checked all the obvious but we had similar symptoms with our old connie a couple of years ago and it turned out to be his saddle. He felt like you were riding with the hand brake on, no bucking, stopping, happy to be ridden, happy to canter but pulled himself up after a few strides. It was all in lockdown so took ages to see a vet, work up indicated hocks (are any 21 year old ponies going to pass flexions?), hocks medicated with no improvement then my daughter suggested we put his ancient, falling apart, looks too tight saddle back on and problem instantly solved. The saddle causing the issue was fitted and he'd been wearing it for some time but clearly something niggled.

Ceriann

Visit site
You've probably checked all the obvious but we had similar symptoms with our old connie a couple of years ago and it turned out to be his saddle. He felt like you were riding with the hand brake on, no bucking, stopping, happy to be ridden, happy to canter but pulled himself up after a few strides. It was all in lockdown so took ages to see a vet, work up indicated hocks (are any 21 year old ponies going to pass flexions?), hocks medicated with no improvement then my daughter suggested we put his ancient, falling apart, looks too tight saddle back on and problem instantly solved. The saddle causing the issue was fitted and he'd been wearing it for some time but clearly something niggled.
Thanks - saddle (both) checked recently as was keen to discount some of this. She’s also had her shoes off about 5 months ago so allowed that to settle. She gets regular physio and chiropractor and both commented on tightness in left hind so all consistent with where we are headed. She’s previously had a medial branch injury to left hind (3 years ago and fullly healed) so I assumed it was that but vet is confident presentation is consistent with hocks (supported by x-rays). We’ll block and if it’s not positive we might have to scan that.

Ceriann

Visit site
We’ve deferred to next week so vet can bring lameness locator - she was short on near fore today! Ahhh! It’s likely we’ll need to try some options but medicating hinds with a front lameness presentation too isn’t ideal so full picture work with locator next week.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
One of mine had osphos in his feet in front and hocks for very mild arthritis and that was over 3 years ago and his been fine, I am going to get him looked at again as I think he could do with something as can come out a bit stiff.

My vet saw him a year ago and said he looked fine but I like to get them checked regularly just in case.