Vet trip for Tia

scats

Visit site
Surgery was a success and Tia was walking around within 20 minutes of being woken up (apparently the average tortoise takes 3-4 hours to move so she astonished everyone!).
They removed a lot of follicles, some very large. They’ve got photos to show me of the procedure and what they removed so I’m interested to see those.
I’m off to collect her this evening 😁

SEL

Visit site
Surgery was a success and Tia was walking around within 20 minutes of being woken up (apparently the average tortoise takes 3-4 hours to move so she astonished everyone!).
They removed a lot of follicles, some very large. They’ve got photos to show me of the procedure and what they removed so I’m interested to see those.
I’m off to collect her this evening 😁
Brilliant news!

scats

Visit site
Well she’s home 😁

Surgery took 3 hours, though apparently an hour of that was Tia refusing to go to sleep 🤣
Follicles were big and weren’t going anywhere, so it would have likely killed her in the end. She also has a fatty liver, which will be because of her having not eaten, so she’s on some stuff for that aswell now.
She woke up fast and then within 20 minutes was wandering around, which is unheard of. She is very lively this evening and was happily walking around the vet table! Vet said she’s not out of the woods as there’s obviously risk of infection etc, but they are very encouraged by her swift recovery from the surgery.

The surgery was photographed so I’ve seen some great pictures, which will be shared on their social media pages and will link here when they go up. I asked them to text me the photo of the follicles, which I’ll pop below.
Her feeding tube will allow us to get the meds in (antibiotics, anti-inflam/pain relief and milk thistle for liver). We also have to feed her twice a day through the tube.

The bandage on her leg is to try and stop her hooking her feeding tube out.
IMG_2606.jpeg

The ‘hatch’, re-sealed
IMG_2605.jpeg

Welcome home Tia!
IMG_2609.jpeg

The follicles
IMG_2603.jpeg

Rumtytum

Have Marmite, will travel
Visit site
Well she’s home 😁

Surgery took 3 hours, though apparently an hour of that was Tia refusing to go to sleep 🤣
Follicles were big and weren’t going anywhere, so it would have likely killed her in the end. She also has a fatty liver, which will be because of her having not eaten, so she’s on some stuff for that aswell now.
She woke up fast and then within 20 minutes was wandering around, which is unheard of. She is very lively this evening and was happily walking around the vet table! Vet said she’s not out of the woods as there’s obviously risk of infection etc, but they are very encouraged by her swift recovery from the surgery.

The surgery was photographed so I’ve seen some great pictures, which will be shared on their social media pages and will link here when they go up. I asked them to text me the photo of the follicles, which I’ll pop below.
Her feeding tube will allow us to get the meds in (antibiotics, anti-inflam/pain relief and milk thistle for liver). We also have to feed her twice a day through the tube.

The bandage on her leg is to try and stop her hooking her feeding tube out.
View attachment 122387

The ‘hatch’, re-sealed
View attachment 122388

Welcome home Tia!
View attachment 122389

The follicles
View attachment 122390
Lovely to see her moving but the follicles 😮! Do you know how many millimetres in diameter the big ones are?

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Those follicles look enormous 😱

And even bigger now I’ve spotted that they’re sat on someone’s hand. She’s going to feel so much better 🙏

tda

Visit site
I never look in Pet Box section but this came up on What's New.......well every day is a school day, I didn't even known you could still buy tortoises.
Healing vibes from me, what will you do going forward to stop it happening again? Do you have to get her a male friend?.

scats

Visit site
I never look in Pet Box section but this came up on What's New.......well every day is a school day, I didn't even known you could still buy tortoises.
Healing vibes from me, what will you do going forward to stop it happening again? Do you have to get her a male friend?.

They spayed her while she was in surgery. Once they’ve had this problem, they are prone to having it happen again so it was best to just spay her and then not have to worry about it anymore.

scats

Visit site
Lovely to see her moving but the follicles 😮! Do you know how many millimetres in diameter the big ones are?

I’m not too sure on the size, but they said that they were some of the largest they had removed from a small Tortoise. Some tortoises they have operated on have had more follicles, but far smaller.
For some reason the body keeps laying down ‘yolk’ on the same follicle rather than releasing it.

Because tortoises can’t swell to accommodate this sort of thing, the follicles start to push into the stomach and other organs, causing loss of appetite and eventually organ failure.

Rumtytum

Have Marmite, will travel
Visit site
I’m not too sure on the size, but they said that they were some of the largest they had removed from a small Tortoise. Some tortoises they have operated on have had more follicles, but far smaller.
For some reason the body keeps laying down ‘yolk’ on the same follicle rather than releasing it.

Because tortoises can’t swell to accommodate this sort of thing, the follicles start to push into the stomach and other organs, causing loss of appetite and eventually organ failure.
Thanks for this, I have learyso much about tortoises from you and Tia. Bless het, she’s a very lucky girl.

scats

Visit site
Another cool thing I learned is that when tortoises breathe, you’ll see their legs move kind of outwards. That’s because the lungs expand and the shell limits the space inside the cavity for the lungs to fill, so the legs sort of get pushed out as a knock on (most noticeable when on their back- their legs sort of go out with each breath), but when they open up the plastron to access the surgery site, the legs don’t move anymore because the lungs suddenly have space.
They have to remind vet nurses of this because sometimes they will use the legs to monitor the breathing and then have a small panic when the legs suddenly stop moving 😅

They are such amazing creatures! I am fascinated by them.

Bearsmum

Visit site
Wow, she is one lucky tortoise, I'm guessing many vets would not have known what was wrong and many owners would not have paid to have it fixed, fingers now crossed for a full recovery

scats

Visit site
Todays update-
Tia had a comfortable night and today we started her medication and feeding through her tube. She has 3 types of meds in the morning and then her feed and then one of her meds again in the evening and another feed.
The first day was always going to be a bit difficult while I got used to it but I coped ok. She has to have her line flushed with water after her feed to make sure there is no food left to clog the tube.
It must feel weird to her coz she starts moving when things go in her 😅
She wasn’t interested in any normal food, but I imagine she feels a bit rough today.
I had to remove her substrate yesterday as the vet wanted her on newspaper to limit any chance of infection into her wound, so she is a bit annoyed she can’t dig. She does hide under the newspaper though!

IMG_0315.jpeg

Bearsmum

Visit site
Are you allowed to give her any shredded or just torn into strips of newspaper to hide under, I know what they are like for hiding, I can walk past Dougal half a dozen times in the garden before I spot him!

poiuytrewq

Visit site
This is amazing! I just had no idea spaying a tortoise was a possibility, I’m not sure what I ever thought would happen if they needed operating on.
Someone asked me if they could see mine without her shell on the other day! 😬 pervert 😂😂
I was a bit thrown, my daughter said “it’s not a coat, she doesn’t take it off to come indoors”
I just didn’t know they could cut through the shell.
What it fixed with? Looks like wax?

scats

Visit site
Are you allowed to give her any shredded or just torn into strips of newspaper to hide under, I know what they are like for hiding, I can walk past Dougal half a dozen times in the garden before I spot him!

I can’t see any reason why I couldn’t shred the newspaper, I might try that tomorrow.

This is amazing! I just had no idea spaying a tortoise was a possibility, I’m not sure what I ever thought would happen if they needed operating on.
Someone asked me if they could see mine without her shell on the other day! 😬 pervert 😂😂
I was a bit thrown, my daughter said “it’s not a coat, she doesn’t take it off to come indoors”
I just didn’t know they could cut through the shell.
What it fixed with? Looks like wax?

It’s some sort of waterproof resin I think.

Day 2 has gone well. Though she did pee all over my bed while I was doing her evening feed 🤣

FinnishLapphund

There's no cow on the ice
Visit site

I actually think lots of people live with the misconception that they just wear their shell as some type of coat, and don't know that their shells are actually a part of their body.

But I suppose it's much easier to use something like this in a cartoon
turtle-with-shell-markus-schnabel-transparent.png

Than this

main-qimg-cb604e61632fb74907ffeb251227bc5e.webp

@scats I'm glad to hear that Tia seems to be doing well, even though she's surprised by that you're now somehow suddenly able to make food, and fluid enter her body by some type of weird magic.
a115.gif

{{{{{{Vibes}}}}}}