Vet trip for Tia

scats

Visit site
Check up today for Tia and all is looking good!
She’s gained a massive amount of weight back in a week from being tube fed (and she’s not even having full amount, which is just aswell! 🤣 ) and the wound site is looking good.

I got commended on how clean I’ve kept the feeding tube, as apparently people often forget to flush it with enough water after feeding, but hers is nice and clear.
She’s lively, interested in her surroundings and everything is going the right way.

I raised concerns that she’s not yet eating anything but vet said he wouldn’t expect her to be at this stage. They are notoriously slow at getting their appetite back after a trauma so he wouldn’t be surprised if it’s weeks or even months before that happens, and we will be fine as we have the feeding tube. Even when she does start showing an interest in food, that tube will stay in for the foreseeable until we are sure she is able to sustain herself.

She’s still not allowed to go on any substrate at the moment, which she is quite annoyed about as she loves to dig! Maybe in another month or two.
He’s also advised that she doesn’t hibernate this winter or even next winter, as she still won’t be fully healed by then.

Interestingly I have discovered that tortoises get nervous about things like horses do. She hadn’t pooped since she came home last week, though she has had several pees. But I popped her in her travel case today and she offloaded like a horse does 🤣 I had to clean her up three times before we even left the house!

We go back in another month for a check up.
IMG_0320.jpeg

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I actually think lots of people live with the misconception that they just wear their shell as some type of coat, and don't know that their shells are actually a part of their body.

But I suppose it's much easier to use something like this in a cartoon
turtle-with-shell-markus-schnabel-transparent.png

Than this

main-qimg-cb604e61632fb74907ffeb251227bc5e.webp

@scats I'm glad to hear that Tia seems to be doing well, even though she's surprised by that you're now somehow suddenly able to make food, and fluid enter her body by some type of weird magic.
a115.gif

{{{{{{Vibes}}}}}}
That’s actually really interesting! I love the first one 😂

scats

Visit site
Scats, does she keep the tube in for another month?

Yes at least another month but potentially longer. Apparently it can stay in place for up 6 or 8 months if needed.
I just have to be meticulous about flushing it through with water to keep it clean so that no bacteria builds up in there.

scats

Visit site
So all has been going fine, but this evening I noticed her neck seemed a bit wet where her tube goes in, but I’d just removed the plug off the end so wasn’t sure if some water had simply dripped from the end onto her neck.
But I started putting the meds in and they came dribbling out of her neck where the line goes in, so I think the tube has dislodged.
Ringing vet in the morning and assume I’m chugging back up to Tarporley again tomorrow with her 🙄
IMG_0324.jpeg

scats

Visit site
Currently in the waiting room and Tia has just had an X-ray. She’s baffled everyone coz the tube has dislodged inside her, and has come out of her stomach, despite it being basically stitched and stuck in place on the outside so that shouldn’t happen.
Vet is currently going to try and wiggle it back down.

Bearsmum

Visit site
Fingers crossed for you both, strange that she's dislodged it inside her but it's basically still in place - Dougal managed to pull his out completely, but he was better and no longer needed it, so that probably saved us a vet trip to have it removed

scats

Visit site
Hi all, sorry for the silence. I had to get back home and to work as quick as I could as I was in the college today.

They got the tube back in place. It had shifted out of the stomach and into her oesophagus and then the end had gone against the side so things were backing up and spilling out. They have no idea how it happened as the tube was stitched in place and the stitch was still intact.
They’ve put it down further but she does appear to have an abscess at the entry site where they think some of the food paste has escaped the tube and been pushed up but can’t get out of the space in her neck (unlike water, that just leaked out). They didn’t want to cut her to get the abscess out just yet and because she is on antibiotics anyway, they’ve decided to leave it for now and if needed, will remove it when the tube comes out.

Tia is a bit sore and swollen at the site from the prodding and moving of the tube, but she was fixed within an hour and then we were on our way home. They just charged me the X-ray fee today, so that’s another £111 to add to the never ending cost of this tortoise 😅

Sore girl
IMG_0325.jpeg

Her surgery photos are also now on the vet FB page, I’ll work out how to put a link up and will pop it here.

FinnishLapphund

There's no cow on the ice
Visit site
Surgery pics for those interested.

:eek: She looks so vulnerable laying there with her belly up, but impressive pictures, and it's so amazing what they can do today!
However I think that they should've also included a picture like the one you posted earlier on this thread, of her being glued back together again. Thanks for sharing.

SEL

Visit site
Just came to put her to bed/turn her light off and she’s got the bandage off her leg. That was there to stop her hooking the tube out with her scales 😫 I’ve not seen her trying to do it but I’ll have to try and re do it tomorrow.

Anyone want a troublesome tortoise?? 😅
And I would have said a tortoise was an easy pet to own!! Hope you can get that sorted - surely a tortoise must wiggle less than a cat with a dislodged bandage 🤕🤔 because that's my only experience of redoing one (monumental fail too!)