Veteran showing bods, help a numpty get started!

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Those of you who have followed Millie's antics over the years will be aware that she is on her last life after surgery on her sdft last year and consequently we have scaled back her workload to try and keep her trundling along for a bit longer. Last year it was suggested that we look into veteran showing as something to aim for as she's a busy mare who enjoys parties... so as she now seems to be pain-free and is standing up to a reasonable workload of hacking and easy schooling we are going to take the plunge.

I have no experience of showing whatsoever and no knowledge so treat me like a complete idiot.

Millie is 15hh, cob x WB and is 20 years old this year so fits the 'veteran' category of VHS showing.

I've looked at their schedules and there is a 'Spring Festival' at Summerhouse in April which is a good venue for us... is this going to be too much in at the deep end for a newbie? I'm not afraid of big shows as we've done plenty together in other disciplines but dunno if this is a big deal or not? http://veteran-horse-society.co.uk/new-spring-qualifiers-2017/

Do I need to pay up a membership with VHS or am I better off going as a non member and then signing up if we do OK?

And what classes should we do? I'm not up for inhand stuff, only ridden. There's a ridden veteran class, and then would she be best suited to hack/riding horse or the hunter class? Or should we not try and run before we can walk, and just do one class?!

Finally, the rule book suggests tweed or dark colour jackets are acceptable... is that true or should I actually sell a kidney to fund a tweed?

This is M stood up, old pic but shows how she's put together

15219471_1233014170069119_6307784517827987789_n.jp  g

and a short vid from yesterday, which was at the start of her ridden work last night so effectively not warmed up

[video=youtube;fG1CGPNYY_I]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fG1CGPNYY_I[/video]

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
Not stalking promise ;).

I've looked at their schedules and there is a 'Spring Festival' at Summerhouse in April which is a good venue for us... is this going to be too much in at the deep end for a newbie? I'm not afraid of big shows as we've done plenty together in other disciplines but dunno if this is a big deal or not? http://veteran-horse-society.co.uk/new-spring-qualifiers-2017/

I'd say that show would be a good one to start at if you know the venue is good and it seems to be a first round show rather than one you already needed to qualify for. I never feared going to the 'bigger' shows worst that can happen is you're unplaced, but you're in the wrong area for me to know to know this one.

Do I need to pay up a membership with VHS or am I better off going as a non member and then signing up if we do OK?

That would be up to you :) and might be worth reading up on their rules to see if you can join to be a member and take up any qualification afterwards or not. If you think you're going to do a few shows then it might just be easier and in the end cheaper to join now?

And what classes should we do? I'm not up for inhand stuff, only ridden. There's a ridden veteran class, and then would she be best suited to hack/riding horse or the hunter class? Or should we not try and run before we can walk, and just do one class?!

She's a bit in-betweeny really and at 15hhs I think it might be better to for the hack/riding horse class as (though it depends on the show and what sort of entries they get) Hunters would generally be a lot bigger. I'd go for more than one class too, and they also have equitation classes (which even state any suitable bridle not snaffle only which is unusual?) which might be good especially with her dressage training, I've never been asked anything too taxing in an equitation class, maybe a serpentine or rein back.

Finally, the rule book suggests tweed or dark colour jackets are acceptable... is that true or should I actually sell a kidney to fund a tweed?

Tweed for Hunter and riding horse, blue jacket for hacks. Plain leather browband for hunters/ riding horse and a velvet one for hacks. You'll also need an age badge for the veteran class. Veteran class turn out is to type, so the jacket/browband would be type dependent really.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I think I'd err on her being riding horse over hack (sorry :p) for turnout.

the rubbish bit about veteran showing is no galloping, which is F's favourite bit :p
I also remember all manner of complication over spurs, which is also a random one giving the turnout to type bit so check that ;)

milliepops

Visit site
thanks both, yes I agree she's not a hack but as the class is called "Ridden hack/Riding horse" I guess they all get lumped in together?

Right, anyone want a kidney then? Preloved, here I come.

Presumably she can do all this in her (boring brown) double? No spurs is Ok though I will feel underdressed :lol:

Also do I absolutely have to pull her beautiful tail?! This could be the fly in the ointment for me :rolleyes:

ester

Visit site
poncy people change their tweeds all the time I am sure you will find a suitable preloved/ebay one. I have 2 on long term loan from lizzieJ :D oh and boots ;)

tail err yes sorry, joy of natives? :p prob needs shortening too :p

be positive

Visit site
thanks both, yes I agree she's not a hack but as the class is called "Ridden hack/Riding horse" I guess they all get lumped in together?

Presumably she can do all this in her (boring brown) double? No spurs is Ok though I will feel underdressed :lol:

Also do I absolutely have to pull her beautiful tail?! This could be the fly in the ointment for me :rolleyes:

Definitely more RH than hack, they will be together in the class but judged to type within the class, you should not need to sell a kidney to find a nice tweed on ebay/ preloved, RH are usually shown in a velvet browband and ideally pull the tail but plait if you cannot bear to and make sure it is not too long, it could be a couple of inches shorter than it is now.

milliepops

Visit site
ideally pull the tail but plait if you cannot bear to and make sure it is not too long, it could be a couple of inches shorter than it is now.

thanks, happy to chop length off but it is SOOOOO beautiful from top to bottom, I would rather take the hit on the turnout score and plait it :)

milliepops

Visit site
okey dokey and is this a basic kinda velvet browband like we used to make as kids or the full on variety with little rosettes on the side?!
Told you I was a numpty!

... and as it looks like tweed is a must, is it true that blue tweed is a no-no? What colour should I be looking for?

ester

Visit site
The full red white and blue rosette version :p

yes it is true that blue tweed is an absolute no :p. I'm not up on RH popular colours, mostly darker green/brown hue. what the essex lot wear on their welshies is pretty scary ;)

oh and cream shirt (white shirt + cheap duster ;) )

Lanky Loll

Visit site
okey dokey and is this a basic kinda velvet browband like we used to make as kids or the full on variety with little rosettes on the side?!
Told you I was a numpty!

... and as it looks like tweed is a must, is it true that blue tweed is a no-no? What colour should I be looking for?

There will be a lot of rosettes on browbands but the simple style is still correct :)
Definitely not blue tweed, should be green or brown based. And your browband should match/not clash :)

Fiona

Visit site
I think a navy jacket in a Riding Horse class would be fine. A quick google supports this. With a double bridle and velvet browband.

Join the FB page milliepops, the lady who runs it is sooo helpful.

Fiona

rara007

Visit site
I wouldn't use a navy jacket in a mixed class as then they may judge her as a poor to type small hack rather than a small riding horse. Tweeds are generally easy to pick up cheap :)

Enjoy!

milliepops

Visit site
I wouldn't use a navy jacket in a mixed class as then they may judge her as a poor to type small hack rather than a small riding horse.

ahh good point. Thanks :)

yes, feeling quite positive about it now and Millie will be DELIGHTED to get out and about again, she's always furious with me when I take Kira somewhere in the lorry. Blind leading the blind but that's the way it's always been for Millie and I :D

conniegirl

Visit site

I've got a lovely alexander James one for sale at the moment depending on your size.

If you do riding horse class it is ribbon browband and tweed jacket, I personaly would put her as a small hunter (under 15.2hh) dont know if they have that class (at work so cant look)

conniegirl

Visit site
There will be a lot of rosettes on browbands but the simple style is still correct :)
Definitely not blue tweed, should be green or brown based. And your browband should match/not clash :)

the simple style without rosettes may still be correct but will mark you out as an amateur who hasnt done thier research.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
in regards to tail I wouldn't plait or pull it, I have Arabs and they can't be pulled or plaited but can look messy if all different lengths, when I wash the tail I then spray the top with gel spray then I tail bandage when I am just about to go in the ring I take it off and give it another spray and smooth it down and I find it looks much tidier.

milliepops

Visit site
the simple style without rosettes may still be correct but will mark you out as an amateur who hasnt done thier research.

Ok :lol: we will invest in a swanky one :) I suspect there will be plenty of other giveaways to our total newbie amateur status so will keep them to a minimum!

in regards to tail I wouldn't plait or pull it, I have Arabs and they can't be pulled or plaited but can look messy if all different lengths, when I wash the tail I then spray the top with gel spray then I tail bandage when I am just about to go in the ring I take it off and give it another spray and smooth it down and I find it looks much tidier.

ahh, good plan, thanks - I will have a little play with various approaches and see what ends up neatest. I really couldn't bring myself to pull it, even if that makes us look like clueless newbies :D it's always been a full tail - when she was one of hundreds of bay horses in a BE warm up, the big tail was the distinguishing feature that assisted our helpers to find us :eek:

LeannePip

Visit site
It already pretty much been covered, but yes brown/ green based tweed, usually with an overcheck that you can match your tie/browband.

But going against the grain, i think shes more of a small hunter than a riding horse - but then if there are no other smalls in the 'hunter' section, she'll look very small! I would be tempted to turn out as a hunter first (no new browband!) and see how she gets on, can always buy the browband and turn out as a riding horse next time?

milliepops

Visit site
LOL this is why I don't 'get' showing! People say dressage is subjective but at least you can choose your class based on your ability/training level with no consequences re what you are wearing :D The only showing I've ever done was at the spanish breed show where *anything* goes - even saw people in country boots rather than riding boots, which was odd but suited me as you can't accidentally get it wrong :eek:

She is quite tiddly in the flesh... her movement makes her look bigger than she is. but she has been hunting lots :p

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
I agree Ester, I think too pretty (or refined) for a hunter, plus I can dig out Doodles old velvet browband if you like try before you buy and all that :lol:.

Bernster

Visit site
LOL this is why I don't 'get' showing! People say dressage is subjective but at least you can choose your class based on your ability/training level with no consequences re what you are wearing :D The only showing I've ever done was at the spanish breed show where *anything* goes - even saw people in country boots rather than riding boots, which was odd but suited me as you can't accidentally get it wrong :eek:

She is quite tiddly in the flesh... her movement makes her look bigger than she is. but she has been hunting lots :p

Quite. And I wish I'd read that BLUE tweed is a no no before I bought mine. But it's a good fit and it suits his colouring. I don't like that everyone looks identikit in their green/brown tweeds although I now realise that our standing out was probably not for the right reasons. Hey ho, good job we only pootled round at a few unaff shows (did pretty good though despite my sartorial mishap).

image_25.jpeg

milliepops

Visit site
he looks beautiful - and CLEAN!!, 100% correct or not Bernster ;)

I suspect dear old M is not really right for anything being so small but it's not like she needs to achieve anything further for me, she's already proved herself time and time again.... I just want us to have something to play at that she will enjoy, and without me putting my foot in it too much in the way of faux pas... :p