Vets letter to RCVS

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
It's like most things where you generalise. There's good and bad in both systems.
My OH works for a practice owned by big corp, but please dont think that means that the vets care any less, and he is certainly not briefed to try to up spending!
He goes to work everyday (and night, often all night) to do the best job he can for the horses he treats. Sometimes the 'best' thing is gold standard and costs more than the 'ok' thing which may ultimately have the same outcome, but he knows that the 'best' thing would increase that chance.
He doesn’t get a bonus…. The company he works for are operating at a loss and how much longer we can expect to have 24/7 countrywide cover at home for equine emergencies remains to be seen. I can see a time where it is entirely probable that you will only be able to access emergency care if you take the horse to the clinic (as in large parts of the US). Providing 24/7 cover is incredibly costly- it's not just about paying your vets, it's about paying the people who handle the phone calls/ logistics, keeping large, expensive cars on the road, keeping the car stocked up with all kinds of drugs for all kinds of situations, often meaning large quantities of stock go out of date and have to be thrown away. And then all of the equipment needs to be maintained, you have to chase up bad payers and frequently have to write off debts. You have to deal with rude clients and poorly behaved/ managed horses which put you at risk of injury. Vets have one of the highest suicide rates of any profession, and vets are leaving the industry at a rapid rate because they don’t get paid a fair living wage compared to the hours they put in and what they could earn with their valuable science degree in other fields.

Please support and celebrate your vets, no matter who they work for. They aren’t out to make money off you, they're just trying their best for your animals.
I do wonder how most equine are managing to turn a profit given how they price up against smalls, perhaps a lot of them aren’t

Gamebird

Visit site
It's like most things where you generalise. There's good and bad in both systems.
My OH works for a practice owned by big corp, but please dont think that means that the vets care any less, and he is certainly not briefed to try to up spending!
He goes to work everyday (and night, often all night) to do the best job he can for the horses he treats. Sometimes the 'best' thing is gold standard and costs more than the 'ok' thing which may ultimately have the same outcome, but he knows that the 'best' thing would increase that chance.
He doesn’t get a bonus…. The company he works for are operating at a loss and how much longer we can expect to have 24/7 countrywide cover at home for equine emergencies remains to be seen. I can see a time where it is entirely probable that you will only be able to access emergency care if you take the horse to the clinic (as in large parts of the US). Providing 24/7 cover is incredibly costly- it's not just about paying your vets, it's about paying the people who handle the phone calls/ logistics, keeping large, expensive cars on the road, keeping the car stocked up with all kinds of drugs for all kinds of situations, often meaning large quantities of stock go out of date and have to be thrown away. And then all of the equipment needs to be maintained, you have to chase up bad payers and frequently have to write off debts. You have to deal with rude clients and poorly behaved/ managed horses which put you at risk of injury. Vets have one of the highest suicide rates of any profession, and vets are leaving the industry at a rapid rate because they don’t get paid a fair living wage compared to the hours they put in and what they could earn with their valuable science degree in other fields.

Please support and celebrate your vets, no matter who they work for. They aren’t out to make money off you, they're just trying their best for your animals.
Ditto. I think the the large (very large!) number of vets who work for corporate practices are getting pretty cheesed off as constantly being painted as villains. In my 25 years in the profession I have worked for a corporate for the last 6 years. I did not, after 19 years in practice, suddenly throw out all my common sense, pragmatism, compassion and empathy just because I had different bosses. I am still the same vet. I have complete clinical freedom and freedom to set our own fees. Our vets do NOT get a performance related bonus or have sales targets to meet. We actually have upgraded a lot of our equipment since being bought out, which we frankly could not afford to do when we were independent. And we are paying our vets, our RVNs and our support staff better. Costs have risen. Mostly because our business was previously run fairly inefficiently - vets are in general notoriously bad business people. There are absolutely downsides associated with corporate practice, as there are with independents, but please do not assume that the corporate vet is is compassion-free automaton, following orders from above and maximising profits. That is an insult to our integrity. There are vets with common sense and horsemanship on both sides of the corporate fence.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I shared this this morning. I am very grateful to be registered by a small, family run, independent vets, a father and two daughters, for my small animals and had my horses with the university run equine practice. The senior equine vet told me the reason they were cheaper than others was because they weren't profit driven like other practices, he said the university preferred them not to make huge losses but didn't puut them under pressure to achieve profit either - I count myself very lucky!

Depression and suicide are well documented in the veterinary profession and I'm sure corporate pressure to return large profits is just contributing to this.
That’s interesting as I was there when they split the Bristol uni side from the clinics and testing side (which became ‘the business’) there was quite a lot of pressure on people to making it pay separately but that might have been because they were otherwise running at a loss.

Kadastorm

Visit site
my private vet retired and sold to a corporation.
Recently, a 15 minute consult cost £52.
Cost me over £100 altogether, the rest was painkillers for my cats sprained elbow. He was hobbling dramatically the day after he tripped so I had to take him. Plus then had a £15 taxi fare.
But whilst I was there, they recommended I get him in for a teeth scale. When asked how much, they said it was £400, to which I politely declined.
I absolutely love my cat, but I cannot afford to eat these days, let alone pay out that much for something when my cat has never had any issues with his teeth and is now 8 years old so it’s expected that there is plaque!

My mum lives in Greece and the vet costs are so low, it’s ridiculous.

wickedwilfred

Visit site
Doing the rounds on fb. Makes me sad as this IS what vets used to be. Apologies to the independent vets who are lovely and look after their clients and patients.

David Thomson M
I do wonder how most equine are managing to turn a profit given how they price up against smalls, perhaps a lot of them aren’t
Unfortunately, too many veterinary practices are now owned by hedge funds who are there to make money and rather lose sight of their purpose. If I am every asked the question ‘do you have insurance’ the answer is always ‘no’ and I am offered affordable treatment. Insurance has become a cash cow for a lot of unnecessary and expensive surgery. If anyone is worried about the idea of owning an uninsured animal, I suggest they open a savings account and pay monthly amounts into it that would equate to a monthly insurance premium. Then, if their animal needs expensive treatment, the funds are there to be drawn on and as is highly likely, after 10 years of not needing to use it, you will have a nice little nest egg to spend.

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
I think my horse vets are very reasonably priced. The dog costs more for a lot less input, in general. I was also quoted £450+ for a teeth scale. I also decided my dog could live without one....

I struggle with his statement "how can a little old lady with her Yorkie be a bad owner because she can’t afford £1000 bill." Actually thinking about affordability of vet bills should absolutely form part of a person's decision making before they buy a dog. A little old lady on a pension with no saving,, no insurance and no access to any other money, should not get a dog, in my view. Vet treatment is not a luxury but a necessity and if you can't afford to provide it, you can't afford the animal. Obviousy there is a limit and you need to be prepared to euthanise in those circumstances where essential treatment is not affordable. But putting down a young dog because you can't afford to stitch up a wound, or treat a UTI, or have a minor procedure done, - which all might rack up to £1000 with antibs, follow ups, light sedation etc seems a bit harsh on said dog!

Not sure how much people should be able to lay their hands on before they get a dog. But it does need to be factored in. Insurance can offer some protection but there are so many exclusions that I also don't think insurance is a full alternative to savings/ credit card or whatever. You need either both or just the accessto money (but obviously more savings/access to money without insurance).

Goldenstar

Visit site
The cost of health care must be factored in before you get a pet.
However it is more complicated than that .
Are you a bad owner if you refuse to give your pet chemotherapy, I have been in that situation and brought the dog home to be put down .
Or if you refuse to replace a hip .
The range of procedures that can be done grows every year so now you need to make ethical choices as well and people will differ in the choices that they make .

paddy555

Visit site
Ditto. I think the the large (very large!) number of vets who work for corporate practices are getting pretty cheesed off as constantly being painted as villains. In my 25 years in the profession I have worked for a corporate for the last 6 years. I did not, after 19 years in practice, suddenly throw out all my common sense, pragmatism, compassion and empathy just because I had different bosses. I am still the same vet. I have complete clinical freedom and freedom to set our own fees. Our vets do NOT get a performance related bonus or have sales targets to meet. We actually have upgraded a lot of our equipment since being bought out, which we frankly could not afford to do when we were independent. And we are paying our vets, our RVNs and our support staff better. Costs have risen. Mostly because our business was previously run fairly inefficiently - vets are in general notoriously bad business people. There are absolutely downsides associated with corporate practice, as there are with independents, but please do not assume that the corporate vet is is compassion-free automaton, following orders from above and maximising profits. That is an insult to our integrity. There are vets with common sense and horsemanship on both sides of the corporate fence.
the staff and vets may be better paid and equipment better etc but at the end of the day the takings of the corporate don't end there. They have to be enough to pay the next layer of management ie the owners of the corporate ie the non vets but businessmen running a business to make a profit.

our practice is a large independent. The horse side is excellent. The small animal side not so much. Their charges are certainly on a par with corporates and I suspect the vet directors may be of the view that there is no need to keep costs down, people will flock to them with the word "independent" Just that rather than the corporate owners taking the profit the directors (which in the old days would have been vet partners owning the business) might as well do.
I don't have a problem with that as such however the old fashioned service talked about in the opening post on here has gone. It is "give me the lead, the insurance details" and we will ring when it is ready for collection.

That practice still has one old vet who is identical to David in the opening post. He is the only one I will use. He gives me the benefit of his experience and common sense. If he tells me I need something I do it. With the rest I have to question each time if this is a money making exercise or really needed. They simply want to do endless tests or sell me products.

My 8 horses are not insured. That is a great relief as I am in charge. The vet discusses it with me (and they are excellent horse vets) knows the horse is not insured and I will pay for gold star treatment if it is justified. On occasions he has told me if you were insured we could do this and this. I ask if it will make a difference (as I would pay) and he admits little difference.

The small animal part of the practice justs asks for the insurance. I can keep 8 horses without insurance and without bankrupting myself. I would struggle to keep any dogs/cats without insurance.

I have had dogs and cats most of my life but after these then I am seriously questioning any more simply due to having to insure them. I think it would be impossible without as you wouldn't know how much you were going to be charged.

setterlover

Visit site
I do believe that just because you CAN treat something it shouldn't mean that you SHOULD do it.
An owner shouldn't feel pressured to follow a course of treatment just because it's possible and the best interests of the animal (and the owner) should also be considered.
I worry that owners can feel pressured to treat an elderly animal with multiple problems just because a treatment exits.
Just to add an animal shouldn't be allowed to suffer but I think I would follow palliative care for an elderly animal with advanced cancer rather than surgery and chemotherapy .

Last edited:

sollimum

Visit site
I do believe that just because you CAN treat something it shouldn't mean that you SHOULD do it.
An owner shouldn't feel pressured to follow a course of treatment just because it's possible and the best interests of the animal (and the owner) should also be considered.
I worry that owners can feel pressured to treat an elderly animal with multiple problems just because a treatment exits.
I totally agree. Having gone done this road with both our elderly collie and then a very much loved veteran horse (who was still insured). I eventually had to be the one to turn around and say just because we could doesn't mean we should, which is really really hard. In the end you get on an endless treadmill and it is exhausting for all involved (animal and owner), as each individual ailment is treated and as the owner you have to look at them holistically and realise that they have had enough, heartbreaking as that is.

SkylarkAscending

Visit site
I got roundly slagged off on this forum when I was posting as Levrier for daring to say I had the best vet ever - this for me illustrates why he is! He is still young(ish), he has the interests of the animal at heart all the time, never overcharges (frequently doesn’t charge me at all) and is just what you’d hope a vet should be. I know how lucky I am, which is why I keep chasing the poor bloke around from one practice to the next if he changes 🤣

I randomly texted him to say thanks (I expect that sounds sycophantic but I always like to give thanks when I can) and he replied:

“Thanks XXXXX, our profession needs to wake up and stand up for the values we embody, not the profit we COULD make”

Well yes……

Last edited:

meleeka

Visit site
the staff and vets may be better paid and equipment better etc but at the end of the day the takings of the corporate don't end there. They have to be enough to pay the next layer of management ie the owners of the corporate ie the non vets but businessmen running a business to make a profit.

our practice is a large independent. The horse side is excellent. The small animal side not so much. Their charges are certainly on a par with corporates and I suspect the vet directors may be of the view that there is no need to keep costs down, people will flock to them with the word "independent" Just that rather than the corporate owners taking the profit the directors (which in the old days would have been vet partners owning the business) might as well do.
I don't have a problem with that as such however the old fashioned service talked about in the opening post on here has gone. It is "give me the lead, the insurance details" and we will ring when it is ready for collection.

That practice still has one old vet who is identical to David in the opening post. He is the only one I will use. He gives me the benefit of his experience and common sense. If he tells me I need something I do it. With the rest I have to question each time if this is a money making exercise or really needed. They simply want to do endless tests or sell me products.

My 8 horses are not insured. That is a great relief as I am in charge. The vet discusses it with me (and they are excellent horse vets) knows the horse is not insured and I will pay for gold star treatment if it is justified. On occasions he has told me if you were insured we could do this and this. I ask if it will make a difference (as I would pay) and he admits little difference.

The small animal part of the practice justs asks for the insurance. I can keep 8 horses without insurance and without bankrupting myself. I would struggle to keep any dogs/cats without insurance.

I have had dogs and cats most of my life but after these then I am seriously questioning any more simply due to having to insure them. I think it would be impossible without as you wouldn't know how much you were going to be charged.

That’s how I feel. I don’t have mine insured, but that doesn’t mean they don’t get what they need. Their treatment will never come down to money, but more what I think is fair. I’m lucky they’ve been fairly healthy and I think Ive spent less on vet bills than insurance would have cost, over the years. I usually take on older animals so insurance is either not possible, or hugely expensive.

I’ve posted many times on this subject and I do understand that vets are there to make money, but it sometimes feels as if that’s the main aim these days, rather than care of the animal. The corporate I use has some great vets and some that I wouldn’t see, because I don’t trust them to think of the animal first. They are a big practice, so there’s usually the choice of who to see if you ask.

SkylarkAscending

Visit site
Just to add an animal shouldn't be allowed to suffer but I think I would follow palliative care for an elderly animal with advanced cancer rather than surgery and chemotherapy .

I very much agree with this - I frequently feel uncomfortable with treatments offered by “specialists” as for me it is always about quality of life for the animal concerned. I do also understand the counter-argument that unless we try these things we will never know if they are possible….. I guess I’m too old school (emotive language trigger warning!)

I don’t want my animals experimented on ☹️

EventingMum

Visit site
Re call out costs- have you had a roadside recovery/lorry tyre replacement? If not a member of a breakdown company, it is very expensive!
That’s interesting as I was there when they split the Bristol uni side from the clinics and testing side (which became ‘the business’) there was quite a lot of pressure on people to making it pay separately but that might have been because they were otherwise running at a loss.
@ester it wil be interesting to see if that happens in the future with Glasgow. When I had a strangles outbreak they were excellent and had a "reduced rate for outbreak" charge for guttural pouch washes of £156 which was a huge saving on normal prices.

Off topic, our lorry was insured with NFU and it was actually in the small print that a premium was charged for road side tyre services as I found out to my cost. I was advised if possible to contact the tyre service company direct and the next time I did it was half the cost for the same company to come out a similar distance to replace a tyre.

Ratface

Visit site
Old Horse (28) is now not insured. If he has a major accident or illness, he will be pts. Previously, he was insured by NFU for what I considered to be a reasonable premium.
Madam Carrie Cat (12) is fully insured by Petplan at £20pm. A £100 payment is required for the first bill but all others are paid in full.
My equine veterinarian practice are independent as is the one at which Madam Carrie Cat is registered. For the quality of care provided, I don't think their charges are extortionate.

Backtoblack

Visit site
Agree 💯

Redders

Visit site
The vet who put out this letter has done another post in his Facebook clarifying that he isn’t in private practice any more but in a small low scale single vet/nurse place in a dogs home, so he is essentially doing charity work - the low cost work he does means a full range of vet care isn’t available (it can’t possibly be) which is fine if you want that. I volunteer my free time doing the exact same to a small mammal rescue, and I charge zero monies for what I do there (it’s limited services because just me no back up lab/surgery/nurse).
He makes some good points but he slags off others in the profession at the same time. He is harking back to the good old days where we tried treatments by casting a wide net over diagnoses, and some pets lived, some didn’t. I imagine most of us on this forum would prefer a bit more science backing up the options you are offered. But science and advancements cost money, inflation costs money. I agree that not enough vets own practices anymore, but the reason they don’t is they can’t afford to, and because not everyone wants the stress of keeping a roof and job over their employees heads.
I have been in independents that are excellent, and ones that are close to negligent, so they aren’t all these marvellous ‘for the animals’ set ups.

Teeth are not a money spinner. Most vets hate examining teeth because we know there will be an issue and we know the owners will balk at us. It’s hard. The state some people think it’s acceptable to leave their animals mouths is horrendous. An animal still eating is not a reliable indicator of QOL or lack of pain. Dentals in animals take ages and are hard work.

Placing staples in a wound on an awake animal is an awful thing to ask a vet to do. Even if the animal didn’t flinch, I can promise you without a doubt that it hurt, and all that happened there is that the dogs good nature was taken advantage of and risks the animals trust in humans in the future. A dog may be fine after, but it’s not a risk I would take with my own and I wouldn’t expect mine to cope with that without deep sedation and local anaesthetic (because local anaesthetic really hurts to place) or a full GA

Also, someone said about refusing to pay 5 consult fees for 5 dogs. If you choose to own 5 animals, and you want them all examined, why on Earth shouldn’t you pay for 5 consult fees? You want the same thoroughness for each pet yeah? Then it takes time.
I need three new tyres soon, no way is the garage fleecing me for paying for three just because the law and road safety dictates a certain tred depth. (I am being sarcastic here)

Clodagh

Visit site
The vet who put out this letter has done another post in his Facebook clarifying that he isn’t in private practice any more but in a small low scale single vet/nurse place in a dogs home, so he is essentially doing charity work - the low cost work he does means a full range of vet care isn’t available (it can’t possibly be) which is fine if you want that. I volunteer my free time doing the exact same to a small mammal rescue, and I charge zero monies for what I do there (it’s limited services because just me no back up lab/surgery/nurse).
He makes some good points but he slags off others in the profession at the same time. He is harking back to the good old days where we tried treatments by casting a wide net over diagnoses, and some pets lived, some didn’t. I imagine most of us on this forum would prefer a bit more science backing up the options you are offered. But science and advancements cost money, inflation costs money. I agree that not enough vets own practices anymore, but the reason they don’t is they can’t afford to, and because not everyone wants the stress of keeping a roof and job over their employees heads.
I have been in independents that are excellent, and ones that are close to negligent, so they aren’t all these marvellous ‘for the animals’ set ups.

Teeth are not a money spinner. Most vets hate examining teeth because we know there will be an issue and we know the owners will balk at us. It’s hard. The state some people think it’s acceptable to leave their animals mouths is horrendous. An animal still eating is not a reliable indicator of QOL or lack of pain. Dentals in animals take ages and are hard work.

Placing staples in a wound on an awake animal is an awful thing to ask a vet to do. Even if the animal didn’t flinch, I can promise you without a doubt that it hurt, and all that happened there is that the dogs good nature was taken advantage of and risks the animals trust in humans in the future. A dog may be fine after, but it’s not a risk I would take with my own and I wouldn’t expect mine to cope with that without deep sedation and local anaesthetic (because local anaesthetic really hurts to place) or a full GA

Also, someone said about refusing to pay 5 consult fees for 5 dogs. If you choose to own 5 animals, and you want them all examined, why on Earth shouldn’t you pay for 5 consult fees? You want the same thoroughness for each pet yeah? Then it takes time.
I need three new tyres soon, no way is the garage fleecing me for paying for three just because the law and road safety dictates a certain tred depth. (I am being sarcastic here)
I applaud you, and Gamebird and all vets looking after our animals so well and kindly while being slagged off as money grubbing uncaring crooks. By the same people declaring mental health is important, vets mental health obviously not so much, presumably because they are heartless money grubbing crooks.

Redders

Visit site
I’m going to give a quick couple examples where I have not money grabbed.
Had a dental booked for a cat yesterday, lovely older boy cat, handsome little love. Had two things that technically should have been an additional fee, but it was one of those rare beautiful moments I knew I could fix these two things in just a few moments and train another team member with no increased time to his procedure. Normally these things take longer so have to be charged, but this was one of those beautiful times, so I did it and didn’t charge extra (I called the owner to get consent as legally have to).

I had someone bring two small mammals to an appointment, they had same symptoms. I knew before I asked any questions that the treatment would be the same and could be obtained without a prescription (licensed pet product too) so I told the owner I would examine one and she could then decide if she wanted to pay for another consult for the other one after I discussed the likely diagnosis and treatment. I had to charge for one because she was there having pet examined in a slot that is a chargeable slot, she actually had two slots booked, and should have been charged for two, (reduced second pet rate) but I didn’t charge for 2, even though I did a quick exam to check no biggies were a concern in the second pet.

These opportunities don’t always come up often, but when they do, I do what I can, and many of my colleagues do the same. We can’t do it for everything though, if we don’t make money, the practice won’t stay open, and then we won’t be there to help your pets in need

SkylarkAscending

Visit site
I’m going to give a quick couple examples where I have not money grabbed.
Had a dental booked for a cat yesterday, lovely older boy cat, handsome little love. Had two things that technically should have been an additional fee, but it was one of those rare beautiful moments I knew I could fix these two things in just a few moments and train another team member with no increased time to his procedure. Normally these things take longer so have to be charged, but this was one of those beautiful times, so I did it and didn’t charge extra (I called the owner to get consent as legally have to).

I had someone bring two small mammals to an appointment, they had same symptoms. I knew before I asked any questions that the treatment would be the same and could be obtained without a prescription (licensed pet product too) so I told the owner I would examine one and she could then decide if she wanted to pay for another consult for the other one after I discussed the likely diagnosis and treatment. I had to charge for one because she was there having pet examined in a slot that is a chargeable slot, she actually had two slots booked, and should have been charged for two, (reduced second pet rate) but I didn’t charge for 2, even though I did a quick exam to check no biggies were a concern in the second pet.

Whilst of course I’m not taking this personally or assuming this was aimed at me in any way, I for one am not “accusing” or assuming all vets “money grab” - I’m just conscious they do exist, and as I posted I’m grateful that I have one who has the interests of my animals at heart, as it appears you do too 😊

Redders

Visit site
My boss is also REDUCING our fees for exotic surgeries. This means we will run the some of these procedures at a business loss (salvage procedures like amputations, which are not easy but are a last resort if other options not available), and the rest at a small margin, with a few at a business margin. Because we want people to do these procedures to help their pets and prevent suffering. And we are one of the few vets in the region who will see and do a lot with exotic species

Redders

Visit site
But how do you know who is money grabbing and who isn’t? When you don’t know the full clinical and specific clinical reasoning behind the recommendations? If you feel an estimate is too high, please please please ask your vet to explain the cost reasons, I always explain why things cost what they are because I’m fed up of the idea that someone may walk out of my consult room saying ‘nah she is just after my money!!’
The absolute VAST majority of vets are not grabbing your money, they are recommending plans based on evidence and best practice.

This is a general statement for everyone so not aimed at anyone in particular, to just ask why it’s so much if you feel it’s a lot, we can explain it for you.even talk about what we could trim off but what consequences that could have etc.

I get so sad when someone tells me that I am expensive but think nothing of paying a groomer every 6 weeks. For their short haired Jack Russell. This genuinely makes me feel so so sad for myself

Last edited:

SkylarkAscending

Visit site
But how do you know who is money grabbing and who isn’t? When you don’t know the full clinical and specific clinical reasoning behind the recommendations? If you feel an estimate is too high, please please please ask your vet to explain the cost reasons, I always explain why things cost what they are because I’m fed up of the idea that someone may walk out of my consult room saying ‘nah she is just after my money!!’
The absolute VAST majority of vets are not grabbing your money, they are recommending plans based on evidence and best practice.

I get so sad when someone tells me that I am expensive but think nothing of paying a groomer every 6 weeks. For their short haired Jack Russell. This genuinely makes me feel so so sad for myself

Simple - I go to my trusted vet and compare what he charges me with what another local practice would charge (ETA for clarification- it’s inevitably less from my trusted vet than from certain other local practices)

I ask myself whether the first question the vet asks me is “is the dog insured” not “what is the problem”

I make my judgement based on my knowledge of the dog on a daily basis for many years about whether the recommended treatment will lead to a meaningful and lasting quality of life for tie dog (or animal) concerned.

Of course I don’t have more scientific/veterinary knowledge than someone who has studied for X years, I do however know what my animals will and will not tolerate and what is good for them

Oh and just a basic - I couldn’t give a **** how much treatment costs, I question whether it is the right thing for the animal. So I don’t need to ask for a breakdown of costs 🙄

Clodagh

Visit site

I don’t understand people continuing to go to vets they don’t trust. If your vet rips you off, or insists on unnecessary procedures, or you just don’t trust them, then go to a different one.

druid

Visit site
I can't be bothered to type out a reply other than to second all Redders said. So fed up of defending being a vet and the cost of treatment. I think I have filled out maybe 3 insurance forms for clients in the past few years.

People forget that we must offer the gold standard option both ethically and per the VCI/RCVS guidelines to meet the standard of care or face getting sued/reprimanded. I will always list multple options where applicable, always happy to break down costs or try source a cheaper med where possible.

Redders

Visit site
I don’t understand people continuing to go to vets they don’t trust. If your vet rips you off, or insists on unnecessary procedures, or you just don’t trust them, then go to a different one.
Oh my word this!!! It’s a total free market for clients so (general) you can go anywhere you like, get second opinions etc, it’s all your choice! So why come back if you don’t trust me? It’s not a very good professional client bond if I’m not trusted, and that is to the detriment of the pet (and also mine and the owners mental health!)

SkylarkAscending

Visit site
I think you are missing the point somewhat Redders - just because we know they exist and resent them doesn’t mean we actually use them. But some people will do.