Vets letter to RCVS

Redders

Visit site
I find the selling of health plans very poor. Whilst sitting in reception of my vets there was continual pressure from the staff who were ringing all possible clients selling monthly plans. No medical info if was relevant to the client just bank details and sign up.
I understand why practices do them, it bonds people to a practice, it does spread the cost of routine care and enables discounts - I like them for that but it’s had the effect of the owners wanting everything that could be included to be included because it’s included if that makes sense, even if the individual pet doesn’t need a particular part. And I completely understand why the owner feels that way. They do truly save money if you are the type to do preventative care such as vaccines. If I had a practice I would offer one but would be more tailored (which would probably make it not cost effective for owner and business so probably wouldn’t work!)

paddy555

Visit site
I understand why practices do them, it bonds people to a practice, it does spread the cost of routine care and enables discounts - I like them for that but it’s had the effect of the owners wanting everything that could be included to be included because it’s included if that makes sense, even if the individual pet doesn’t need a particular part. And I completely understand why the owner feels that way. They do truly save money if you are the type to do preventative care such as vaccines. If I had a practice I would offer one but would be more tailored (which would probably make it not cost effective for owner and business so probably wouldn’t work!)
I totally understand the business reasons. Of course if someone has paid they want everything they have paid for. However just cold calling in that way is a money making exercise different from a vet advising what that particular pet needs. I just felt sorry for the elderly people on the other end of the phone who thought they had to agree and were probably too polite to say no. Maybe this was just my practice, maybe others don’t do this.

Redders

Visit site
the places I have been have never done this, and I wouldn’t like it if they did. I hate people ringing me to try to sell me stuff!

Edit to say I’m sure some places do do it, probably some marketing drive, drum up new clients, or when people’s plan expire to ask if they want to continue it. I worked on reception at a vets while studying and it wasn’t something we were asked to do although we were encouraged to offer it to clients when they arrived/paid. That was independent to start with then sold by the owners to CVS. The thing that changed with the health plan was the corporate stopped the £4 financial incentive for each new sign up done by that member of staff, and added an extra thing to the plan - free yearly urine sample I think?

meleeka

Visit site
They’ve changed the goalposts with health plans too. When I first joined one, it was because my new-to-me dog needed dental work. My vet suggested it because it would give me a fixed price dental for around £300, otherwise the bill would have been £700 (a while ago!). That was useful, but they no longer include that. Some years later I worked out how much it would cost me to just pay for what I needed and that was cheaper, because I didn’t use flea treatment all year and didn’t buy long term meds from the vet.

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
I'm searching for a physio for my dog and in my research found one who shared this 'open letter' and I have to say it's put me off. What's the purpose of it and of sharing it?

There is nothing constructive or helpful in there, it kind of stinks of someone leaving the profession while crapping over many of those currently working in it. The snobbery about people's parents' professions is weird and irrelevant, and I find it frustrating when people can't/won't acknowledge that the world has moved on in every single way since 1976 (which obviously includes pet ownership, the economy, and veterinary science).

lynz88

Visit site
Around here it's effectively surge pricing - whatever they think someone will pay. Not what it costs plus a margin.

A neighbour recently had to have an emergency out of hours call out (to her horse yard) for the pet sheep. Same vet as usually sees the horses at the same location.
The call out fee was 1/3 of the horse call out fee - the reason "Farmers won't pay horse call out fees so the charging structure for livestock is different"

Same vet, same location but if the animal in the box is a different species it's x3 the price. Infuriating.

I had a horse need a lameness work up last year. They wanted me to sign a consent form for them to spend up to £2k if they felt the need. I said absolutely no way. I made them change it to £600 and then to call me if they felt more was needed and we would discuss specifics once they had maxed out the £600.
I've been a client for 10 years, never paid a bill late or queried it - but I was made to feel like a bank robber for refusing to give them a blank cheque. I had to pay the £600 in advance before they would even let the horse into the yard. I've never been made to feel more horrible by anyone than the receptionist and practice manager who got involved .

Eventually the actual vet took a totally different approach to the work up and it was all sorted for £800.

Sounds familiar Polos Mum , I had to pay £600 upfront when my older horse hurt his eye last year as they hadn't seen him for a few years. Ignoring the £20,000 I'd spent with them on him before retirement and what I spent with them on my other horses in the meantime.

I have changed to a new vet for at least 5 years but kept my old retired guy with them as they had his records. I should have moved him across.

Vets are doing this more and more. I switched practices partly because of this - every single time I would need to pre-pay I would end up with a curiously higher bill that I needed to pay the rest of. In fact, every quote they gave me was always "not enough" and the competence of some of the vets that were sent out always had me on edge. I did once, not pay a bill when I had briefed the vet about what we were working on and what I wanted radiographs of...vet instead did a lameness workup and then told me it was something else and that he needed jabs in the hocks even though they had just been done and was not the issue.

Unicorn

Visit site
I'd have you as my vet any day of the week Redders. Every word you've written on this thread says what a great vet you are.

This, many times over! @Redders, your posts are fascinating and give me a view of vet practice that I'd never really appreciated.

I honestly can't recall if my vets have asked about insurance (I have it, but with many exclusions) and I actually have to push quite hard to get an estimate of costs, especially when they want to increase meds or try new drugs.