Vetting this morning - horse failed :(

Melody Grey

Visit site
I feel your frustration, but sounds like too many uncertainties particularly with an unknown past. Personally, I'd keep looking. :)

wilkinson1

Visit site
I'm gloucestershire and happy to travel a good couple of hours in any direction from me (as have been doing so already!). Im after a 15.2/3 safe and sensible allrounder. Under 10. Needs to be quiet to handle and have a sensible head. Not worried if it needs schooling - have loads of support and rc clinics/lessons to help with that - it just needs to be safe. Prefer irish types. Please god someone help me find something decent before I decide to get a guinea pig instead 😂

LD&S

Visit site
I know I'm not that familiar with vetting etc but why would you get a horse shod prior to vetting if the horse is normally barefoot unless it is to try and hide a problem?

wilkinson1

Visit site
I know I'm not that familiar with vetting etc but why would you get a horse shod prior to vetting if the horse is normally barefoot unless it is to try and hide a problem?

This horse isn't normally barefoot. She just hadn't been attended to by a farrier for at least 8 weeks min. Her feet were quite long and shoes were nearly hanging off.

smellsofhorse

Visit site
I'm gloucestershire and happy to travel a good couple of hours in any direction from me (as have been doing so already!). Im after a 15.2/3 safe and sensible allrounder. Under 10. Needs to be quiet to handle and have a sensible head. Not worried if it needs schooling - have loads of support and rc clinics/lessons to help with that - it just needs to be safe. Prefer irish types. Please god someone help me find something decent before I decide to get a guinea pig instead ��

Try Shane Walsh.

http://shanewalshequestrian.co.uk/

Ive know lots of people buy lovely horses from him.

Edited. They were in Gloucester but now have moved to Hampshire!

Flicker

Visit site
Jasmine at Right Ride has some nice allrounders a lot of the time. She has a Facebook page. Good reputation from what I hear.

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
OP don't lose heart. I was in the same boat as you at the start of the year and after several failed vettings was close to losing the will to live.

I did however eventually find the horse of my dreams but she unfortunately did a tendon in the field and has been an expensive lawnmower ever since. She's currently turned away but I'm hoping to restart her late next summer and just see how she goes.

What's your budget like? It may be that you're struggling to find the right horse due to price point. An easy way to check whether you're being realistic with your budget is to take a look at horses online at a slightly higher price and see if you can find more of what you're after. If you can it might be worth saving for a little while longer to get what you really want.

They're not local to you but if you're willing to travel Marsh Ponies would be worth speaking to. They usually have a fair amount of Irish types between 15 and 16hh and were incredibly helpful when I was looking.

wilkinson1

Visit site
OP don't lose heart. I was in the same boat as you at the start of the year and after several failed vettings was close to losing the will to live.

I did however eventually find the horse of my dreams but she unfortunately did a tendon in the field and has been an expensive lawnmower ever since. She's currently turned away but I'm hoping to restart her late next summer and just see how she goes.

What's your budget like? It may be that you're struggling to find the right horse due to price point. An easy way to check whether you're being realistic with your budget is to take a look at horses online at a slightly higher price and see if you can find more of what you're after. If you can it might be worth saving for a little while longer to get what you really want.

They're not local to you but if you're willing to travel Marsh Ponies would be worth speaking to. They usually have a fair amount of Irish types between 15 and 16hh and were incredibly helpful when I was looking.

Morning! I didn't think my budget was bad - I have up to 6.5k but ideally the closer to 5k the better. Is this reasonable? Looking around I thought so - the 7 / 8k ones look more competitiony than I need if that makes sense?!

I have been down to Marsh Ponies already to try one (it was 2.5 hours away). They were nice but the pony wasn't suitable 😕 Thank you though.

Annagain

Visit site
Have you tried PMing Janet George? She wouldn't be too far from you and has some lovely young IDs and ISHs for sale. No idea if they'd be in your price range but it's worth a try. Indigo Irish Draughts and Indigo Irish Draughts For Sale are her facebook pages.

Annagain

Visit site
Have you tried PMing Janet George? She wouldn't be too far from you and has some lovely young IDs and ISHs for sale. No idea if they'd be in your price range but it's worth a try. Indigo Irish Draughts and Indigo Irish Draughts For Sale are her facebook pages.

it wouldn't let me edit - https://www.facebook.com/groups/261574667568225/ Have a look at Indigo Canda Rose - 6yo 15.2 ID. she looks lovely if she hasn't been snapped up already.

TeamChaser

Visit site
Look up Kerrie Fleming Horses on FB OP. Based nr Wotton Bassett and has a nice selection of Irish types. I bought a lovely horse from her 4 months ago ... first one I tried too! She was absolutely honest about my boy and he is exactly as she described. Lovely lady and was really keen to match the right horse to the right rider. I paid £8k for him as she'd kept him as her own horse for 18 months as she liked him so much so he has some form BE90/BE100. She gets them all out competing though so will be able to advise if she has the type you are looking for. PM me if you like and I can put you in touch

wilkinson1

Visit site
Look up Kerrie Fleming Horses on FB OP. Based nr Wotton Bassett and has a nice selection of Irish types. I bought a lovely horse from her 4 months ago ... first one I tried too! She was absolutely honest about my boy and he is exactly as she described. Lovely lady and was really keen to match the right horse to the right rider. I paid £8k for him as she'd kept him as her own horse for 18 months as she liked him so much so he has some form BE90/BE100. She gets them all out competing though so will be able to advise if she has the type you are looking for. PM me if you like and I can put you in touch

Hi, yes please to putting me in touch with Kerrie - I'm being a bit dim and can't figure out pm 😊 sorry

TeamChaser

Visit site
Hi, yes please to putting me in touch with Kerrie - I'm being a bit dim and can't figure out pm �� sorry

Check out her page on FB - Kerrie Fleming Horses. Her no. is 07888 675300

If you mention Becky with Hugo, she'll know who sent you! My horse is the grey in her profile pic!

Last edited:

onemoretime

Visit site
The whole reduced price thing is a bit of a non starter IMO. What's cheap about a horse if it goes lame and can't do the job - then it's an expensive field ornament. It's different if a horse has an inconvenient vice but can be trained out of it or it doesn't bother you. But a lame horse is no horse.

I think it might be worth your while going to a big dealers yard where there might be three or four to suit and trying them. Or if your heart is really set on her do as be positive says and take for a months trial, but even then the lameness could re emerge later. There's more to this than meets the eye as evidenced by the number of owners in recent times she's had. Sorry I can't be more positive.
I agree with this. As someone else said she could be on bute as she has suddenly come sound and they want you to lunge her to see for yourself. There are lots of horses out there, why not carry on looking and as has been suggested, go to a big yard where there are several horses suitable for your requirements. Sorry to be blunt, I know what its like, I have been caught by a dealer horse was drugged up and I was given 6 bags of drugged up feed, I am looking for a new horse now and quite honestly, its scary!!

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
it wouldn't let me edit - https://www.facebook.com/groups/261574667568225/ Have a look at Indigo Canda Rose - 6yo 15.2 ID. she looks lovely if she hasn't been snapped up already.
I've seen Canda Rose in passing when I was in the process of buying another horse (Tammy) at JG's. She was being tacked up ready to go out. Canda Rose is very, very nice, and will have been impeccably brought on.

pippixox

Visit site
Agree with lot loads of people have said already!
I can't talk as I have 4 horses and none were vetted- having said that I know their entire histories pretty much before I owned them.
Keep looking- there will be more around in the spring and the perfect horse is worth the wait

wilkinson1

Visit site
I agree with this. As someone else said she could be on bute as she has suddenly come sound and they want you to lunge her to see for yourself. There are lots of horses out there, why not carry on looking and as has been suggested, go to a big yard where there are several horses suitable for your requirements. Sorry to be blunt, I know what its like, I have been caught by a dealer horse was drugged up and I was given 6 bags of drugged up feed, I am looking for a new horse now and quite honestly, its scary!!

You are right - I now do not trust a soul sadly after this experience over the last 6 months. What I am also finding hideously demoralising is that as soon as a new horse pops up for sale, I am booking to view yet 7/8 times out of 10, they are messaging me to say sorry it sold before I even get there :( this whole experience has been rubbish and I cant wait for it to be over now quite frankly!

wilkinson1

Visit site
I've seen Canda Rose in passing when I was in the process of buying another horse (Tammy) at JG's. She was being tacked up ready to go out. Canda Rose is very, very nice, and will have been impeccably brought on.

I'm going to Janet's on sat to have a ride on this one but mainly to view a 4 yr old that she thinks will be most suited to me :)

wilkinson1

Visit site
This a lovely mare from the lady I bought one of my foals from, have seen this mare and she's a lovely stamp.. https://www.facebook.com/dawnelainewatson/posts/1554210864589394

That looks lovely - thank you. What is the general consensus of being sold from field though? I thought that was a no-no? sorry, feeling a bit negative tonight - 2 x viewings I had booked for today were cancelled due to horses selling within the 3 hours I couldn't get there :(

be positive

Visit site
That looks lovely - thank you. What is the general consensus of being sold from field though? I thought that was a no-no? sorry, feeling a bit negative tonight - 2 x viewings I had booked for today were cancelled due to horses selling within the 3 hours I couldn't get there :(

High risk if coming from a person who should be able to at least get it up ready to show clients even if it is not fully fit, a 7 year old, nearly 8 that has done so little would be an ok project if it was cheap but with your decent budget why risk buying a horse that you cannot try properly that may not do the job, I don't think she is anything special, light of bone with an upright shoulder, has a sweet face but many have nice faces.
Good luck with JG if she thinks she has one for you she will not mess you about and sell from under you or push you to buy something unsuitable.

Asha

Visit site
I'm going to Janet's on sat to have a ride on this one but mainly to view a 4 yr old that she thinks will be most suited to me :)

Another vote for Janet. I bought my new girl from her ( 4 year old too ) in November, shes everything Janet said and more.

She wont sell from under you either. I instantly fell for my girl after 2 mins of getting on, but she had only cantered once off the lunge, so Janet and her team worked her for couple of weeks for me to get her doing bit more. Within 10 days she was even popping a little jump. Good luck with your viewing, you will have a fab day out.

wilkinson1

Visit site
Another vote for Janet. I bought my new girl from her ( 4 year old too ) in November, shes everything Janet said and more.

She wont sell from under you either. I instantly fell for my girl after 2 mins of getting on, but she had only cantered once off the lunge, so Janet and her team worked her for couple of weeks for me to get her doing bit more. Within 10 days she was even popping a little jump. Good luck with your viewing, you will have a fab day out.

Thank you for the info. What were you looking for? I hadn't really considered a 4 yr old as I want a nice safe and sensible all-rounder for RC activities but JG said this one is one of the quietest she has had. And even my vet said that a decent 4 yr old can be waaaay better than an older horse with habits to kick...

Peregrine Falcon

Looking forward to drier days
Visit site
I wouldn't discount a 4yo either. I got my first horse when I was 15 (*sobs* many years ago now)and he was a 4yo. I fell in love with him the minute I saw him and he was great.

Hope your viewing goes well.