Vetting this morning - horse failed :(

meleeka

Visit site
Thank you for the info. What were you looking for? I hadn't really considered a 4 yr old as I want a nice safe and sensible all-rounder for RC activities but JG said this one is one of the quietest she has had. And even my vet said that a decent 4 yr old can be waaaay better than an older horse with habits to kick...
All JG's are well mannered and sensible. You'll get honesty from her that's for sure.

wilkinson1

Visit site
I wouldn't discount a 4yo either. I got my first horse when I was 15 (*sobs* many years ago now)and he was a 4yo. I fell in love with him the minute I saw him and he was great.

Hope your viewing goes well.

Thank you! I'm scared to feel positive as I have been so disappointed over the last 6 months. Fingers crossed!

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I'm going to Janet's on sat to have a ride on this one but mainly to view a 4 yr old that she thinks will be most suited to me :)
Good!

JG and also her staff are great, and very honest. There are lovely homebred horses everywhere at the stud, I think she's cut down to less than 60 :D!! She won't sell you anything that she doesn't think is a good match. She assessed me first riding the resident schoolmistress Brooklet (who I nearly ended up buying)!

Enjoy your day at Indigo, and I hope you find your new horse there :).

QuantockHills

Visit site
Yet another vote for Janet George! I went up a couple of times recently and stalked the Indigo's for several months! Canda Rose is a lovely mare but I was looking for an unbacked gelding. Allow yourself all day though as there are so many! I came home with a different one to the one I thought I wanted and although he's only 3, he is very well mannered and easy to handle. You wont go far wrong going to a reputable breeder. I didn't want anything that didnt come with a full history as I have heard so many horror stories recently! JG wont sell you anything she doesnt think is right for you.

Asha

Visit site
Thank you for the info. What were you looking for? I hadn't really considered a 4 yr old as I want a nice safe and sensible all-rounder for RC activities but JG said this one is one of the quietest she has had. And even my vet said that a decent 4 yr old can be waaaay better than an older horse with habits to kick...

My wish list was full irish draught, something I could show, and do some riding club stuff, hack out with my daughter and some camps. Had to be family friendly too . I didn't want a 4 YO, but couldn't find anything with the right brain. Then I tried JG's . I loved my girls willing attitude, and thought sod it, ive got a good instructor so new id have the right help. To be honest shes a poppet and took to everything so well. I agree with your vet, with the right brain, a good 4 YO is worth the punt. Canada rose does shound amazing, and shes done a bit more too. Well worth viewing, so is Brooke.

Good!

JG and also her staff are great, and very honest. There are lovely homebred horses everywhere at the stud, I think she's cut down to less than 60 :D!! She won't sell you anything that she doesn't think is a good match. She assessed me first riding the resident schoolmistress Brooklet (who I nearly ended up buying)!

Enjoy your day at Indigo, and I hope you find your new horse there :).

I wen to view Brooke, loved her too. It was a tough decision between her and Morning Star. If we didn't have the right horse for my daughter, I reckon we would have come away with 2.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
OP, this is the lovely 12yo Brooklet (Indigo Reflection) who some potential clients at Indigo are asked to ride first to assess their capability, before trying out a younger horse. She is a 3/4 ID by Janet George's late stallion Lady's Tralee Raj.

Me on Brooklet, under assessment!

and then me on Indigo Tammy, also by Raj, who I ended up buying back in the summer. She was sent back to JG for sale by a former member of staff, who had owned her for 7 years from a 3 yo.

Good luck tomorrow.

Asha

Visit site
OP, this is the lovely 12yo Brooklet (Indigo Reflection) who some potential clients at Indigo are asked to ride first to assess their capability, before trying out a younger horse. She is a 3/4 ID by Janet George's late stallion Lady's Tralee Raj.

Me on Brooklet, under assessment!

and then me on Indigo Tammy, also by Raj, who I ended up buying back in the summer. She was sent back to JG for sale by a former member of staff, who had owned her for 7 years from a 3 yo.

Good luck tomorrow.

My mistake, I rode Breeze who is 6, not Brooke

Tiddlypom - your girl is stunning

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Brooklet is 12?! Where does the time go?
Lol, you knew Brooklet as a youngster, then?

My mistake, I rode Breeze who is 6, not Brooke

Tiddlypom - your girl is stunning
I think that Breeze is Brooklet's younger half sister by Archie, I could be wrong, though!

Thanks, we Indigo owners are pretty pleased with our horses, aren't we :).

Compoboots

Visit site
Exact same story with me.
Had a beautiful 4yo for a week on our yard which I had tried ridden 3/4 times perfectly, he was beautifully schooled and everything. Failed vetting for minor problems and was offered him for a lower price.
Sent him back even though I did love him... ended up buying an unbroken mare! Glad I did though. Horse still has issues now.

Bessi

Visit site
That looks lovely - thank you. What is the general consensus of being sold from field though? I thought that was a no-no? sorry, feeling a bit negative tonight - 2 x viewings I had booked for today were cancelled due to horses selling within the 3 hours I couldn't get there :(

She was hacking out and being schooled over the summer but the owner has the horses at home on a fairly busy road and isn't confident hacking out alone, the girl who was riding her for her has gone abroad for the winter hence why she is being sold from the field. The seller does have a school and Im sure would have no issue with your trying the horse I suspect she just means she is not currently in work.

jojo5

Visit site
Just to add to what others have said - before I got together with my boy, I rode out quite a few times on a borrowed huge four year old Irish cob cross. He was a lovely boy though he hadn't seen much, but we had a great learning time together, riding out alone and in company. We just clicked, and although he was sometimes wary, his temperament clearly showed that he would trust his rider to see him through. He later made a fantastic gentlemans hunter. The point being that it will be the temperament you will be looking for at Janet's tomorrow - don't think first about the age.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site

My first horse was a four year old who had been broken six weeks. He was lovely, never gave me any problems.

Janet has also written a couple of times over the years about taking back horses that wouldn't settle in their new homes for one reason or another. If I was looking. I'd buy from her with total confidence even though I've never met her.

fawaz

Visit site
I'd be wary. If she's lame and you xray, what are you hoping to find? If the xrays show something is wrong then you have a horse with an issue, if they don't then you still don't know the cause of the lameness. Just because it doesn't show up on xray doesn't mean there's nothing wrong! I've been through the mill with a horse I bought in April who has a low grade lameness that was probably pre-existing. We can't get to the bottom of it 8 months later despite numerous investigations and I am currently stuck with a field ornament. Won't go into further details on here due to potential ongoing action, but I would just be very careful. If she's completely sound after being shod then fair enough, but if not I'd personally walk away.

I tend to agree with you. If it was a bone/joint issue which would be visible on xray it would show up in the flexion tests.
Ligament, bursar injuries need ultrasounds and MRIs.
So if nothing shows on the X-ray's and the horse is still unsound I would be worried.
Did the vet put the hoof testers over the horses feet? I would expect if it was just a foot issue such as bruising, corns, overgrown feet that he would have got a positive reaction which would be encouraging and would resolve with good hoof management.
If there wasn't a positive reaction to the hoof testers but nothing else was found on X-ray's then I would be very worried.
Although having long feet does put pressure on tendons, ligaments and bursars, I would still expect the horse to be sound... Unless it had an underlying problem, however mild.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I did! I was there when she was 2 or 3, for her grading anyway :)
Ha, are you another Indigo alumni?

Unfortunately, although beautiful, she wasn't quite right for me. But will keep in touch with JG in case anything else crops up.
Sorry that you didn't gel with any of the horses at JG's , onwards and upwards with the search.

Visit site
1/10th isnt anything to worry about I think unless you want her as a top competition horse. It could just be a slightly tight muscle or something - i think a lot of horses can look lame some days! Also depends on the vet, another vet might not have seen it and passed her.

wilkinson1

Visit site
1/10th isnt anything to worry about I think unless you want her as a top competition horse. It could just be a slightly tight muscle or something - i think a lot of horses can look lame some days! Also depends on the vet, another vet might not have seen it and passed her.

Oh she was obviously lame - even I could see it! �� anyway, I sadly walked away in the end (other reasons on top of lameness) and am back on the hunt - apparently I will find something (although it's not looking particularly positive at the moment! ��)

wilkinson1

Visit site
Look up Kerrie Fleming Horses on FB OP. Based nr Wotton Bassett and has a nice selection of Irish types. I bought a lovely horse from her 4 months ago ... first one I tried too! She was absolutely honest about my boy and he is exactly as she described. Lovely lady and was really keen to match the right horse to the right rider. I paid £8k for him as she'd kept him as her own horse for 18 months as she liked him so much so he has some form BE90/BE100. She gets them all out competing though so will be able to advise if she has the type you are looking for. PM me if you like and I can put you in touch

I know this is quite old now but wanted to say thank you - I have FINALLY found my perfect horse - from Kerrie 😁 I have literally everything crossed for the vetting this week...........

TeamChaser

Visit site
I know this is quite old now but wanted to say thank you - I have FINALLY found my perfect horse - from Kerrie �� I have literally everything crossed for the vetting this week...........

Awesome news!! So pleased for you! Everything crossed for the vetting