Vibes please. Pretty please!

C1airey

Visit site
Just stocked up on vet wrap, a 30m reel of tape and even more nappies. So if it’s bad news, maybe I will get that monkey...

Vet due in about an hour.

C1airey

Visit site
RESULT!

Nothing broken.

Tiny little abscess on the outside edge of his hoof, but quite far up, which vet thinks is from a bruise. Made a million times worse by the fact that his hooves are good and hard. Hole made and poultices for the next few days. Reassess on Friday. Vet not confident it will be a classic pop it and he’ll feel immediately better, but I don’t care - I know what we’re dealing with now! I was fully prepared to have him PTS in event of a break, so this is a definite win!

SEL

Visit site
RESULT!

Nothing broken.

Tiny little abscess on the outside edge of his hoof, but quite far up, which vet thinks is from a bruise. Made a million times worse by the fact that his hooves are good and hard. Hole made and poultices for the next few days. Reassess on Friday. Vet not confident it will be a classic pop it and he’ll feel immediately better, but I don’t care - I know what we’re dealing with now! I was fully prepared to have him PTS in event of a break, so this is a definite win!

YAY - happy dance :D

C1airey

Visit site
No drill needed?!

No, but I think my vet was seriously considering popping home for the B&D. After nearly a week of balancing on his other (knackered) leg, The Boy was all too happy to have a convenient vet to lean on.

Thank you all for dancing, vibes and happy-ending-stories. SEL, I reckon it would have panned out like yours longer term - a chunk off the side of his hoof. Still might...

Bearsmum

Visit site
More vibes coming your way,isn't it strange how a horse we've never met can still cause us concern; I was walking my dog at 6.00 this morning & wondering if you'd put an update online as I didn't have the chance to check last night, found myself saying, please don't be a break 'let there be pus'
all the best for a full recovery

C1airey

Visit site
Pus! We have pus!

Not lots but it is at least coming out. I don’t mind tubbing and poulticing (and you lovely lot dancing like lunatics) if we’re going to see something for it.

The vet was right when he said the relief wouldn’t be immediate. He’s still very lame and there’s still a pulse. He’s a lot happier in himself though. Popped him out for a couple of hours this morning and he threw a massive buck when I went to bring him in. He has no instinct for self-preservation ?

C1airey

Visit site
Product idea: abscess pack. To contain...

Nappies (bonus points if the adhesive is actually adhesive. F*ck knows how they stay on a baby)

Two reels of Proclaimers-branded tape (500 miles, and then 500 more)

Proclaimers-branded vetwrap.

Epsom salts

18 pints gin

Bucket

Vouchers for local freelance groom

Directions for use:

Hand horse to groom to poultice.

Add gin to bucket. Down it. Replenish.

Pinch half the salts for a nice hot bath. Try not to drown whilst hideously gin-drunk.

Remember how much you love your horse, and that however much you think you want to swap him for a monkey, that means even more nappies!

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
The girl whose horse has a deep abscess at my yard has to have x rays done to find out where the abscess tracks because it’s so deep/far reaching, they don’t want to cause more damage by digging for it! Nightmare! The horse isn’t great being fiddled with generally.

Great update, funny how horsey people see pus as a positive.

Poo and pus!

C1airey

Visit site
The girl whose horse has a deep abscess at my yard has to have x rays done to find out where the abscess tracks because it’s so deep/far reaching, they don’t want to cause more damage by digging for it! Nightmare! The horse isn’t great being fiddled with generally.

Wriggling into my pus-dancing pants as I type (goodness! They appear to have shrunk in the wash...) to pass on the abscess-draining karma.

C1airey

Visit site
On a smooth flat surface, in a straight line, in walk we are *drumroll* sound! He’s also weight-bearing again, so this morning I was able to pick out the other hind hoof for the first time in a week. Rough ground, corners, other gaits (he tried them all ?) he’s still hopping.

Life however, has thrown him another curve-ball. He’s been turned out for a couple of hours a day to get a bit of green and and a leg stretch. There are two elderly mares over the fence. Yesterday one of them was VERY interested in him. This morning, they both came to say hello. One threw a hoof at him and told him where to go. The other called to him seductively, squirted in his face, then threw a hoof at him and told him where to go.

He doesn’t understand women.

Vet checkup tomorrow. We’re still tubbing and wet poulticing. I’m hoping he’s going to declare the worst of it drained and say we can switch to dry.

SEL

Visit site
Thank you all for dancing, vibes and happy-ending-stories. SEL, I reckon it would have panned out like yours longer term - a chunk off the side of his hoof. Still might...

Got a new farrier out tomorrow. Not only are we 2 weeks over due to the whole virus thingy & current trimmer going into isolation, but I'm presenting him with a horse minus most of his front hoof. I'll just call it self trimming :oops:

I need to stock up on your abscess packs. Especially the gin. Definitely short of gin in the first aid kit.

C1airey

Visit site
Got a new farrier out tomorrow. Not only are we 2 weeks over due to the whole virus thingy & current trimmer going into isolation, but I'm presenting him with a horse minus most of his front hoof. I'll just call it self trimming :oops:

I need to stock up on your abscess packs. Especially the gin. Definitely short of gin in the first aid kit.

I think there’s a market for a gin-only version. Just gin, sloshed in a bucket so you can take a giant gulp as and when needed.

Good luck with the farrier!

C1airey

Visit site
A brief update:

Vet had another poke this afternoon and is by and large, a happy man. Most of his happiness stems from the fact that he didn’t have to prop up the end of horse whilst digging even further through a hoof that looked 99% perfect on x-ray! Dry poultices for the weekend and then an iodine pack.

One small note of caution is the appearance of granular tissue in the hole. Might be the foot healing ?; might be a keratoma ?.

The Boy himself continues to be downright superb about the whole thing and soundness is definitely improving.

SEL, how did it go with the new farrier?

CT, how’s the horse on your yard with similar symptoms?

Bearsmum

Visit site
All the best for a full recovery, hope the weekend goes well with plenty of gin; I lent my tiller to a neighbour & he brought me a litre of Gordons, hopefully he's got more gardening to do yet, though a litre should last a couple of days

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
We remain tied in knots (well, as good as with all bendy bits crossed!) and hope for the continuation of good news over the weekend!

b0464.gif