Victoria Pendleton to train as a jockey

popsdosh

Visit site
It's not a tune, it's my opinion. Are the fences at Aintree not a lot bigger and more solid?
Do you really think she would cope if the were loose horses and fallers around her.
I'm not saying she's not done very well and I admire her, but is it safe and fair for someone with so little experience to ride at Aintree?
It's not in my opinion, however, as I said it's only my opinion.

She had a horse fall next to her today!
I can only say the owner of the horse is very keen for her to ride there and hes not unaware of whats involved.

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site
Its nothing new ,I have a very good friend who was champion amateur rider two years running back in the 70s he said he earned a lot more then than when he turned pro!

Yes but tht would be under the counter........ tax free........
Most of the amateur jockeys riding under rules work in a yard . the same yard that provides their mounts, so the only amateur thing about them is that they don't get a share of the winnings or a riding fee. This will be the same ruling for VP.
I'll be honest, they have done enuff, they should not try to go further, there is nothing more to prove.

bonny

Visit site
Most of the amateur jockeys riding under rules work in a yard . the same yard that provides their mounts, so the only amateur thing about them is that they don't get a share of the winnings or a riding fee. This will be the same ruling for VP.
I'll be honest, they have done enuff, they should not try to go further, there is nothing more to prove.
Most of the amateur jockeys riding in hunter chases do not work in yards....there is no doubt that Victoria has made a lot of money from doing this but then so do a lot of the others.....ironic in a so called "amateur" sport. Just look at the connections of the winner today ?

popsdosh

Visit site

Good job she didnt listen to you earlier on then. If you listen to her it is not the challenge, she seems to have developed a deep respect for the horses and clearly loves it.

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site
Most of the amateur jockeys riding in hunter chases do not work in yards....there is no doubt that Victoria has made a lot of money from doing this but then so do a lot of the others.....ironic in a so called "amateur" sport. Just look at the connections of the winner today ?

You can't have it both ways, Nina works for her family, and their money is hard earned, just like everyone in racing. She could easily turn pro, but prefers not to, that is her choice.
The sport requires a high level of professionalism, for safety of all concerned, most people who ride in jump races are far better than the average rider and have been riding for years and have regular riding of racehorses, its really not possible to do otherwise.

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site
Good job she didnt listen to you earlier on then. If you listen to her it is not the challenge, she seems to have developed a deep respect for the horses and clearly loves it.

I don't know why she would ever listen to me, I have not been anti VP, all I am saying is that they set a goal and have achieved it , there is really no particular reason to set a new goal every week.......... the publicity is not [just] for VP. It is for her sponsors, who have heavily invested in the publicity.

popsdosh

Visit site
You can't have it both ways, Nina works for her family, and their money is hard earned, just like everyone in racing. She could easily turn pro, but prefers not to, that is her choice.
The sport requires a high level of professionalism, for safety of all concerned, most people who ride in jump races are far better than the average rider and have been riding for years and have regular riding of racehorses, its really not possible to do otherwise.

I agree with you totally! I suspect most of Nina's reluctance is the same as a lot of amatuers in that some of your race rides disappear as soon as you turn pro ! It is the most difficult step for a lot of jockeys along with some that lose their claims as pros

popsdosh

Visit site
I don't know why she would ever listen to me, I have not been anti VP, all I am saying is that they set a goal and have achieved it , there is really no particular reason to set a new goal every week.......... the publicity is not [just] for VP. It is for her sponsors, who have heavily invested in the publicity.

I know what you mean and my comment was a little unfair , I have faith in those around her who I dont think will be driven by the pound notes so much as they dont really need it.

bonny

Visit site

I wasn't actually meaning Nina, although you could hardly say that she works in a yard, I was meaning the owner/trainer etc. It's a professional sport in all but name.

KautoStar1

Visit site
Well done VP. I doubted the wisdom of letting a novice loose in such a high pressure situation. But she has done herself proud and behaved with a great deal of dignity throughout. She clearly loves it and it's now more than a PR challenge for her. I think we will be seeing her in plenty more p2p & amateur festival races for a few more years to come. Well done that girl.

Evie91

Visit site
Well done Victoria - cracking result! Was at Cheltenham today and saw her race first hand. What an amazing race she rode - to come fifth was some achievement!
FairPlay to her - wish someone would offer me the same opportunity!
She must be so proud - an Olympic cyclist and a jockey to boot - you go girl!!!

Mike007

Visit site
Well done Victoria, I never doubted you for a moment . As for the National, why not . May I suggest a seasons draghunting to gain some street wise. Youve got to be in it to win it ,so surviving is good. Bloody good effort girl!

AdorableAlice

Visit site
There no doubt it has been a remarkable achievement in just a year, but lets not forget the horse. If you watch the entire race not once did he make a mistake, he remained straight into and after his fences and really looked after her. As AP mentioned on one of the interviews "the horse helped". The good old boy then ran on for her, what a super genuine schoolmaster he is and when he retires what a hunter he will make for some lucky person.

Doormouse

Visit site
There no doubt it has been a remarkable achievement in just a year, but lets not forget the horse. If you watch the entire race not once did he make a mistake, he remained straight into and after his fences and really looked after her. As AP mentioned on one of the interviews "the horse helped". The good old boy then ran on for her, what a super genuine schoolmaster he is and when he retires what a hunter he will make for some lucky person.

Perfectly put, the old horse was a saint and I for one would love him as my hunter! I was a little sad that she didn't give him more credit herself.

Doormouse

Visit site
She probably doesn't quite understand that he was the key player in the game :)

I suspect you are spot on there but that in itself makes me sad too. When I was growing up with ponies I was always told by my parents that it was the pony who had won something for me and that I should give them the credit first. Shame that is something that has not been part of her teaching.

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site
I suspect you are spot on there but that in itself makes me sad too. When I was growing up with ponies I was always told by my parents that it was the pony who had won something for me and that I should give them the credit first. Shame that is something that has not been part of her teaching.
I think she will be told pretty darn soon, and we will have a few public statements qualifying her success.

Visit site
I don't know where you are all getting Pacha Du Polder being old as lol! He is only 9! But yes he is a very old, wise head on young shoulders.

I know people say it's not the horse it's the jockey but I do believe in this case it was 90% the horse who got round the race. VP just had the good sense to sit quiet and let him be. She admitted at the end that she got her whip stuck in her breast girth and was a novice mistake so at least she couldn't batter him lol!

DragonSlayer

Visit site
Life is short, VP gained another opportunity to enrich her life. Good on her, you only get one chance at that life. She's not out murdering, mugging or damaging others lives to get that experience and it's her own personal safety at stake so why the hell not?

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Oh for goodness sake can't people just celebrate what a marvelous achievement it was for her?

Do any of the people saying it was just the horse think they could have gone from never having sat on a horse to a place in a steeplechase in one year?

The girl is a star!

luckyoldme

Visit site
Oh for goodness sake can't people just celebrate what a marvelous achievement it was for her?

Do any of the people saying it was just the horse think they could have gone from never having sat on a horse to a place in a steeplechase in one year?

The girl is a star!

I think its amazing what she has achieved, both with the cycling and horse racing.
Did she ride horses before she started racing or was this her starting from scratch with horses too?

ycbm

Visit site
I think its amazing what she has achieved, both with the cycling and horse racing.
Did she ride horses before she started racing or was this her starting from scratch with horses too?

She sat on a horse for the first time one year ago. It's a STUNNING achievement.

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site

The girl is a star!

No one says its just the horse, but obviously there are people who have issues with her not praising the horse, so they are entitled to express their feelings, its not as though it has not been done in the full glare of publicity and not as though anyone is demeaning her achievement in any way.
She could not/would not have done it without the support of all the key players, cash, sponsor, horse, horse owner, trainers etc. Its a team effort, and they were all invaluable.

There are not many class horses who are also schoolmasters, she may not realise this as she will have been mostly schooling on safe conveyances, they are not all like that, which is why most big yards use professional jockeys to school their horses before racing. These jockeys are teaching their horses rather than the other way round.

Last edited:

ycbm

Visit site
No one says its just the horse, but obviously there are people who have issues with her not praising the horse, so they are entitled to express their feelings, its not as though it has not been done in the full glare of publicity and not as though anyone is demeaning her achievement in any way.
She could not/would not have done it without the support of all the key players, cash, sponsor, horse, trainers etc.

Well yes, you said it was only 90% the horse.

It was done as PR/advertising for Betfair.

She was one hell of a game girl even to take it on, as anyone who has jumped fences that size knows. She has fallen, many times, got back up, and carried on. I think her achievement is so outstanding that it completely overshadows that of the horse, who was chosen in the first place for his schoolmaster abilities.

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site
Well yes, you said it was only 90% the horse.

It was done as PR/advertising for Betfair.

She was one hell of a game girl even to take it on, as anyone who has jumped fences that size knows. She has fallen, many times, got back up, and carried on. I think her achievement is so outstanding that it completely overshadows that of the horse, who was chosen in the first place for his schoolmaster abilities.
I can't find any post where I said it was 90% the horse, I am usually careful with hyperbole when these sort of squabbles develop. We know you think her achievement is outstanding lol.

ycbm

Visit site
I can't find any post where I said it was 90% the horse, I am usually careful with hyperbole when these sort of squabbles develop. We know you think her achievement is outstanding lol.

Apologies, it was EKW

Of course i think her achievement was outstanding? Don't you??? Or do you really think it deserved. qualifying as you did by pointing out that other horses are more difficult to ride?

Last edited:

Clodagh

Visit site
If nothing else she must have the biggest pair of brave pants in the world! She did really well, didn't lose her head and looked on the ball the whole way round. Well done her. Those suggesting she goes to Aintree, perhaps not this year. Super well done to her.

KautoStar1

Visit site
There have been many occasions where she has thanked Pasha. I think she is more than aware of his role in her achievement, how far she has come & how far she still has to go.