Video of my horse lunging...have a giggle!

Mariposa

Visit site
Love the fact he works so beautifully and then suddenly wahooooooo! That's quite some buck he's got there!!

dollymix

Visit site
lovely horse!
Just a note...and in NO way a criticism as I see that you have said on the video that he is in the process of having his back and saddle sorted.... But my mare, who was previously 100% on the pessoa started doing this - only in canter. It flagged up a problem with her pelvis, and tightness across the top of her rump (forget the name of the muscle now :) ) - might just be worth bearing in mind if you are having the physio any time soon!

He is a very handsome boy :D

RCP Equestrian

Visit site
lovely horse!
Just a note...and in NO way a criticism as I see that you have said on the video that he is in the process of having his back and saddle sorted.... But my mare, who was previously 100% on the pessoa started doing this - only in canter. It flagged up a problem with her pelvis, and tightness across the top of her rump (forget the name of the muscle now :) ) - might just be worth bearing in mind if you are having the physio any time soon!

Thanks for that! Its just a routine check up for him as he has beefed out a hell of a lot over the winter so just want to have them checked "just in case" he hasn't given me any reason to think he's sore, he's just always done this in a pessoa and I find it hilarious! He's just a cheeky chappy who is far too high on life! I want some of his enthusiasim!! :D

But when they come I'll have them check anyway :) he bucks under saddle when he's fresh too, no less than this, so I have to sit tight haha :p

YasandCrystal

Visit site
lovely horse!

I was always told that it is recommended to only walk and trot in a pessoa, not canter, unless you have one very balanced horse.

RCP Equestrian

Visit site
I was always told that it is recommended to only walk and trot in a pessoa, not canter, unless you have one very balanced horse.

He is very balanced and very well schooled, but there isn't a lot I can do when he does this, he just goes off on one himself :p once he's had his "crazy moment" he works beautifully and is actually really calm! Lol

YasandCrystal

Visit site
He is very balanced and very well schooled, but there isn't a lot I can do when he does this, he just goes off on one himself :p once he's had his "crazy moment" he works beautifully and is actually really calm! Lol

Yes Op - I realised you were not asking for canter :D He's a lovely horse, just my type. I was more referring generally and to the other poster re canter and a pessoa.

Allie5

Visit site
Cheeky boy! I recognise that noise as well. I don't know how to describe it really. Its not a snort but its a sort of rattly exhaled breath with every stride. My 4 yr old does it as well and that's normally my sign that something explosive is about to happen!

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Lovely horse, he is a credit to you.

I have never used a pessoa or seen one in use until watching your lovely boy, I am just wondering how the equipment works, it seems so tight and restrictive in front, is the horse able to stretch forward and down to allow the back and hindquarters to step through over a soft swinging back ?

Forgive my ignorance please ! but even though the horse was encouraged forwards the kit looks like it prevents him from opening the frame and going forwards.

LaurenDobson

Visit site
My horse does this in a pessoa, especially if hes a little fresh! One minute hes in alovely trot, next thing back legs in the air!! Cheeky monkeys arent they! Your horse is lovely by the way!

RCP Equestrian

Visit site
Cheeky boy! I recognise that noise as well. I don't know how to describe it really. Its not a snort but its a sort of rattly exhaled breath with every stride. My 4 yr old does it as well and that's normally my sign that something explosive is about to happen!

Haha he isn't the only one then! He makes this noise as soon as he walks out his stable! Piggy Boo is his nickname....because of the weird snorting noises he makes :D he does it when I first get on him, it helps me to know that theres something scary out there waiting to jump out...so I'm ready! Glue and all!

RCP Equestrian

Visit site
Lovely horse, he is a credit to you.

I have never used a pessoa or seen one in use until watching your lovely boy, I am just wondering how the equipment works, it seems so tight and restrictive in front, is the horse able to stretch forward and down to allow the back and hindquarters to step through over a soft swinging back ?

Forgive my ignorance please ! but even though the horse was encouraged forwards the kit looks like it prevents him from opening the frame and going forwards.

Aw thank you :)

No it isn't restricting at all! He isn't really the best horse to demonstrate on as he has a naturally very high head carriage (gelderlander like! Its the dutch in him :rolleyes: ) but when he's chilled and got over his bucking frenzy he really does drop his head and works beautifully. He does for a fraction of a second in this vid until he is spooked again haha. But if I got a video of him at the end he's a different horse, but then that would be a boring video :D

melbiswas

Visit site
Exactly my view Adorable Alice but I too have never used one either. They do seem to restrict the neck somehow.

I was wondering if you get that buck under saddle too OP. you must have a sticky bum ! You don't happen to be tiny and up for riding a Thelwellian Sec A when he comes back into work.......

RCP Equestrian

Visit site
My horse does this in a pessoa, especially if hes a little fresh! One minute hes in alovely trot, next thing back legs in the air!! Cheeky monkeys arent they! Your horse is lovely by the way!

Thank you! He is my world, hence the huge amounts of pics and pointless videos of him :D but he brightens my day so thought I'd share it :)

Haha they certainly are cheeky monkeys, I'd have thought it would be impossible to buck like that in a pessoa! But, as always, Boo has found a way! :rolleyes:

RCP Equestrian

Visit site
Exactly my view Adorable Alice but I too have never used one either. They do seem to restrict the neck somehow.

I was wondering if you get that buck under saddle too OP. you must have a sticky bum ! You don't happen to be tiny and up for riding a Thelwellian Sec A when he comes back into work.......

He does buck like this under saddle if very fresh! :D I'm not sure how I manage to stay on but he is quite a gentleman as if he feels you getting unbalanced or hanging off he stops, as if to say "whoops, are you alright?" :p

I'm actually tiny...only 5ft...and love little welshies! What have I let myself in for?? :D

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Aw thank you :)

No it isn't restricting at all! He isn't really the best horse to demonstrate on as he has a naturally very high head carriage (gelderlander like! Its the dutch in him :rolleyes: ) but when he's chilled and got over his bucking frenzy he really does drop his head and works beautifully. He does for a fraction of a second in this vid until he is spooked again haha. But if I got a video of him at the end he's a different horse, but then that would be a boring video :D

Thank you, is it a bit of kit mainly used on established horses rather than youngsters ? I ask because I have a newish horse, only 6 yr old, who has been hung onto in the previous home and is very inverted. Thankfully she is built to be able to go down and forwards but in her mind it is impossible.

I have a chambon but as yet, I have not tried anything on her other than riding with wide, low hands and kidding her into trying to stretch. she had a full mot when I bought her and all is in order.

Tickles

Visit site
Sorry but I'm not sure he is happy in the video? It just didn't look like high-spirited bucks to me.

Looked, to someone who doesn't know him, as though he wasn't that happy in his mouth (hard to tell as vid a bit flickery for me but he seemed to be opening it a fair bit and it looked uncomfy) and was bucking to get the training aid away from his back end when you were asking him to go forwards - in fact, there is another thought... does he /know/ you aren't asking him for canter when you click? Most of the bucking episodes seemed to be immediately after you'd done that.

RCP Equestrian

Visit site
Sorry but I'm not sure he is happy in the video? It just didn't look like high-spirited bucks to me.

Looked, to someone who doesn't know him, as though he wasn't that happy in his mouth (hard to tell as vid a bit flickery for me but he seemed to be opening it a fair bit and it looked uncomfy) and was bucking to get the training aid away from his back end when you were asking him to go forwards - in fact, there is another thought... does he /know/ you aren't asking him for canter when you click? Most of the bucking episodes seemed to be immediately after you'd done that.

No he's just a fruit cake when he first comes out, he does this whether he has it on or not, I sometimes just lunge him without anything on, just a bridle and he's exactly the same LOL its when he spooks he just can't contain his excitment and his reaction is to buck! Bucks aren't always related to pain, he does it when he's excited. He does chew on his bit a lot but I think its habit as he's always done it (his teeth are fine) and he's only 7 so its probs a baby thing too!

After 15-20mins of riding you would never think he bucked like he does! He bucks on the horse walker too so I just accept thats the way he is and its something he's always done, like when he jumps a fence big when he lands he'll have a buck and shake of his head, to me he's just enjoying himself :p he's never ever done it to get me off and I never feel he's doing it due to pain, I've had the pyhsio out before and they've said why am I here theres nothing wrong :p from an outside perspective I can see his crazy bucks might not look great, but if you knew him you would realise this is normal Boo behaviour! :D

RCP Equestrian

Visit site
Thank you, is it a bit of kit mainly used on established horses rather than youngsters ? I ask because I have a newish horse, only 6 yr old, who has been hung onto in the previous home and is very inverted. Thankfully she is built to be able to go down and forwards but in her mind it is impossible.

I have a chambon but as yet, I have not tried anything on her other than riding with wide, low hands and kidding her into trying to stretch. she had a full mot when I bought her and all is in order.

I think it would be a help and I think work best in trot. I sometimes put him over trotting poles on a curve which helps him to drop his head too. Its definitely helped him to lower and use his back, as you can see he has a naturally high head carriage so its been hard to build his muscles across his back