Viewing a horse tomorrow any tips

RULEMI

Visit site
Hi all

After much searching to buy my next horse I have taken a break from searching through all the online adds and newpapers. Someone at work suggested giving a local lady a ring as she had a horse for sale.

14.2 bay mare 9 years old. Forward going safe ride. Done pony club with daughter and riding club with mum. Nice mid build type.

Ideally wanted something at least 15hnds but she looks so ideal going to go and have a look. Fingers crossed she will be comfortable to ride as would love to bomb around on a 14.2 but most ones I have tried aren't very comfortable for me.

Plus any tips on horse viewing

Thanks

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
Take a horsey friend / instructor.

Catch in from the field.

Tack up.

Groom, including picking out hooves.

Good to:

Shoe;
Load;
Travel;
With vet.

Feed.

Quirks.

'Vices'.

Routine - current and preferred.

Preferences - ridden wise.

pip6

Visit site
Keep your eyes open, rose tinted glasses off & pay attention to any gut feeling that things aren't quite right! Hope it's the horse you're looking for.:)

meesha

Visit site
write down answers, view at least twice and if possible contact someone in the pony club for an opinion !

Sounds hopeful, good luck - ps. with this weather you may get a bargain !

Littlelegs

Visit site
Basically do everything within reason you might want to do with her & ask for any evidence of things you can't try. Eg which farrier, pony club references etc. Plus whatever they know about her past & present, vacs, any injuries, scars etc & make sure it adds up. If you can, ask to see any pics of her they have. If its done pony & riding club you would expect a fair few action shots rather than just pics of it grazing. And if you lack buying experience take someone who does for a second viewing.

RULEMI

Visit site
Thanks guys.

She is nine years old and been in the same family since she was broken at 4 years old. She even mentioned me having her on a 3 week trial whilst she was away on holiday. So fingers crossed she is the one.

I think my main worry is she is going to be too small for me. People always seem to advertise horses bigger than they actually are. My current loan horse is `15.1 on a good day the owner but her down as 15.3 on her loan agreement.!!!!

Just hope she is a true 14.2 which should be ok for me.

Will let you all know how it goes.

muddygreymare

Visit site
Ask lots of questions and if they don't want to answer then be wary as they may be hiding something. I found this out when buying a couple of years ago, luckily we didn't buy the horse and found my fab mare instead :) The mare sounds fab though so good luck :)

temple_jessica

Visit site
Arrive early to check
For signs of pre lunging etc ask them if u can tack up etc. get someone to video or take pics . Good luck!

3Beasties

Visit site
After my viewing the other day watch the horse trotted up for signs of dishing and also ask about blemishes such as sarcoids before making the journey!

Hope she's perfect for you :D

Spook

Visit site
Ask if there are any health issues?, is it sold sound? and vice free? If height is important take a measuring stick with you...... generally people either guess or believe whatever some numpty tells them

Visit site
Do make sure that you ask the owner exactly why he or she is selling the horse. In other words, make sure that they have a good reason!! I have had some experience when i bought a horse and didnt ask why the owner was selling him, i brought the horse home and he was an utter lunatic!!!

Some good reasons are
- Has been outgrown
- Owner is pregant or has many kids
- Owner going off to college
- You can probably judge for yourself!!

Good luck!!