Views on Gypsy Cobs

fitzaud2

Visit site
Here's my 2! I liked them so much I got a baby one to play with!

DSC002761.jpg
[/IMG]

and Desmond....who is actually Blue and White but greys out in winter :)

DSC01717.jpg

sorry if the pictures are massive....I can't resize them!

They are fab!! I love em!! My father in law has 30 odd of them for sale at the moment, he's retiring. they look just like yours but are all either black and white or red and white!!

hackneylass2

Visit site
Some lovely looking horses in this thread.

Must say though that the Gypsy Cob, Vanner etc are a type rather than a breed.

Years ago, 'coloured cob types' were considered inferior...just ask many on here who were entering best turned out and even handy hunter classes at their local shows.

From where I grew up, Gypsy Cobs and Vanners were mostly seen pulling rag and bone rulleys, and valued accordingly. They were seen as mongrels, bred to be suited for their work and for the Romany's love of flashy markings and feather.

I owned a lightweight, 15.3 piebald 'Gypsy Cob' bought from auction, breeding was known as half Hackney, with Welsh Section D and 'other'. She was a cracker who was sharp, highly intelligent and kind and who could turn her hand to anything...apart from dressage which she found such a bore :) Because of her mixed breeding she had 'hybrid vigour' and lived till well into her 30's.

A true, and I mean true travelling Romany whom I knew very well told me that they classed 'Vanners' as any horse suitable for drawing their vardos, that being a slightly more slightly built animal than the heavy cobs.

At that time (late 70's to early 80's) 'Gypsy Cobs' of very nice conformation went for peanuts, mostly to other Romanies, Travellers or Rag and Bone men. A nicely marked horse generally cost more over a well put together animal. A bit like todays youth and their hot hatchbacks!

Somewhere along the way, someone hit upon a romantic back story for marketing these animals at exorbitant prices,(the perceived mystique of the Romany Gypsy etc) and where I will always like a coloured cob type, with its largely sensible attitude and of course the attractiveness of mane and feather, never forget that these horses are a mix of whatever sire was suitable and available for the mare at that time, with no records of breeding other than word of mouth of what horse was what (which in the real Romany community was largely recognised anyway)

Americans seem to be willing to pay silly silly money for these horses! but to be fair, as a type, breeding has come a long way since the early 70's.

I'd have a 'Gypsy Cob' over a Warmblood any day, but my gawd, horses of the Gypsy Cob type could be had for next to nothing in my day and today much of what I see is overpriced in the extreme.

Shysmum

www.youtube.com
about to fall asleep...
Photo0113-1-1.jpg

ooops, asleep..
Photo0110.jpg

playing snowballs..
picsfromcompandphone679.jpg

I really need to get my camera out now the sun's shining, as he's grown so much since these were taken !

All the ponies on this thread are stunning. I would type out what this Gypsy Cob book says about the breed history, but it's a bit long - in a nutshell - it is a breed that goes back centuries, and was started using a lot of fell/dales lines. Gypsies can be coloured, or a solid colour, makes no odds, and the feather varies on all of them (not just front or back hair on legs). The only difference is that the more hair a pony has, the more valuable it is seen to be. They can be from 13 hh to about 15. 2 hh, short backs for their size, small ears, and lots of bone. They were bred to pull carts, obviously, hence the very powerful hinds.

Gypsy vanner is simply the american name for the same pony. Gypsy cobs do not have to be bred by travellers at all - many studs breed them exclusively, esp in the states, but in the uk they more usually come down from gypsy stock.

So where's Shilasdair in all this, eh ?? :D sm x

Last edited:

cobgirlie

Visit site

Thanks interesting. Proud to say my LC is a Irish Cob (as I was told when I bought him) he was born in Ireland and I bought him over here when he was 3. When people ask I tell them he's an Irish Cob but am abit ignorant to whatever that means, the guy I bought him from said it basically means it's usually a Shire or Clyde crossed with a Section D..but that's all he could tell me.

He definately fits the discription, he's 15hh just abouts and so much fun!! He's certainly not the fastest horse ever but he's full of heart and absolutely loves working!! Jumps like a stag and is up to try anything!! I adore the little nutter and wouldn't change him for the world. :D I often look at 'proper' horses (as I call them) and of course they look elegant and striking..but I can't imagine them making me laugh the way he does!! Personality counts for alot in my books. :D

Sparkles

Visit site
^ sounds like Hairy! Never met another horse who thrives on work as much as he does. He's always there just ready for the next 'mission'.

When we hacked to the shops when the car packed up one weekend and he realised he had an actual 'mission', not just a ride out,....now THAT was hilarious. [including having a one handed gallop race between us coming back, with bags in the other hand carrying chickens, milk, stock, etc in tow!] Most self important cob I'd ever met!

CobSunshine

Visit site
What would be a fair price for a gypsy vaneer for a novice hack? Good natured no vices.

Adore the bone and feathers along with the markings. True workhorse

cobgirlie

Visit site
^ sounds like Hairy! Never met another horse who thrives on work as much as he does. He's always there just ready for the next 'mission'.

When we hacked to the shops when the car packed up one weekend and he realised he had an actual 'mission', not just a ride out,....now THAT was hilarious. [including having a one handed gallop race between us coming back, with bags in the other hand carrying chickens, milk, stock, etc in tow!] Most self important cob I'd ever met!

Lol!! I've got new friends who are into battle reinactments (sp) and they keep asking me to go with them with LC. They use TB's usually but after having a go on him at the weekend they are desperate to take him 'into battle'!!!! I'm very tempted and seeing the behaviour of their horses I'm sure it would do LC good...but the first time a canon goes off, I dread to think where we'll end up!!!! Woooo cob goes BOUNCE!!!!:D

PookiELJ

Visit site
Very untrue, Gypsy Vanners were bred for their huge amounts of hair, they're only considered TRUE gypsys if they have massive amounts of hair, lots of feather coming from the knee, the tail shows age and shouldn't be trimmed.. and a double mane... they have small chests and short backs and they are bred to look magical they are bred from fresians, shires and ID's ... gypsy cobs is the english name for gypsy vanner which came from America. (To NW1)

Last edited:

Rosehip

Visit site
I adore coloured cobs, I had a a beautiful gypsy cob mare bought from auction from travellers, unfortunately I lost her 7 years ago (aged 9) to cancer.
I would have another in a flash! She was the most versatile amazing horse ever, one that can never be replaced.
This is Daizy with George her son:
DSCF0255.jpg

RunToEarth

Visit site
Can't stand the "concept".

If it wasn't bought off a gypsy at some point IMO it's not a gyspy cob... No doubt someone will cope out with the breed standard but it seems that anything coloured with a bit of feather is a "Gypsy Vanner". :rolleyes:

There are some lovely "ones" about though.

Also, I tend to find they are owned by a certain type of lady...less said about that the better! :eek: :D

I completely agree.
I'm really fussy about coloured horses anyway, generally I don't tend to like them (I can say that, I've got one ;) )
I have to say I hate seeing fat cobs anyway, I'm not a fan of those with roman noses, and all that fluff!! Yeah, it looks lovely when it is all clean and tidy, but 90% of the time it isn't, and I just want to clip it off :) I'm not a fan of hairy ponies, but for everyone who manages to turn their natives/cobbies out with lovely clean mane and feathers to every outing deserves a medal in my opinion!

Theresa_F

Visit site
I adore them. The breed came from using Shire, Clydesdale, Fell and Dales. If you want to know more, then go onto the tgca.co.uk website.

They do vary in height from 12 hands to 16 hands, though most are 13.2 - 14.2 as a rule. They should have hair from knee/hock to the floor all round the leg. Short coupled with a broad chest and strong loins, any colour is acceptable.

I have one of the taller and lighter built, Stinky is just under 15.1 with 9.5" of bone, but some of the really sturdy stallions can have 13 - 14".

They are gentle natured, sensible, great fun but they need to be kept disciplined - they are fearless, intelligent and given an inch will take a mile. That said, Stinky is great with kids and really looks after novice riders but will take them over to a patch of grass he fancies if he thinks they will let him.

The TGCA is running classes all over the country for the TOYS finals at Keysoe in September, so if you fancy a go at showing, please come along.

Stinky loves SJ and doing workers and is a master jack of all trades.

TGCAWorkers-Oct2010.jpg

This is us competing at the TGCA finals last year - I had asked for a final big flash jump - and got a bit more than I was expecting - hence the expression on my face:D

SuperCoblet

Visit site
I know a man who breeds these and breaks them in. Very safe, he would never sell one that's not. I think they range from 13.2 to 16hh (I think!) in Shropshire area :) my friends have 3 off him, ages 4,5 and 6 and they are over the moon with them all!

WildRider

Visit site
I have one myself, wasn't too sure about them as a riding horse till I got mine, but she's a fab girl and such a beauty with her long flowing mane, tail and feathers.

Also, the photos that are on this thread - beautiful horses!!

Shysmum

www.youtube.com
Forgot to mention, they are absolutely superb Riding for the Disabled ponies. One minute they can go out on a lively hack with the helpers, the next minute they are the gentlest, kindest animals with their disabled riders. They really enjoy the games we play with the riders too. Worth their weight in gold :)

Only downside in the amount of pig oil and sulphur you get thru ;)

sm x

Sparkles

Visit site
Shy - We don't use PO or sulphur on Hairy anymore...tried it once and never again lol! Too gross and too much hassle.

Shysmum

www.youtube.com
Hmm, I know what you mean. I've left Shy in tonight ready to tackle the pig oil - ing in the morning :rolleyes: I have to wear my oiling clothes.

I use it in combination with sudacreme above his heels, and (touch a large piece of wood) we've no mud problems yet...... also use it on the RDA ponies, and they all do well with it.

How DO you keep Hairy's legs so gorgeous ?

Sparkles

Visit site
Used absolutely nothing on him since last year to be perfectly honest! He's been out 24/7 the majority of the time too...other than just washing them out when they got reaaaally bad with shampoo and a quick spritz of detangler, we just left him be lol. Went obsessed with keeping on top of them last year, but he really doesn't need all of it lol. Still got just as much hair, if not more atm!
*touch wood* He doesn't suffer from any problems with the mud, itching, scurf/scabs, etc.

SuperCoblet

Visit site
Loving the pictures!
ive finally draged myself onto the pc and off my ipod so i can show you my hairy!
Well, this is Gypsy, 10yo 13.2hh (ish!) coblet :)

picture.php

Pink Breast cancer research funride
picture.php

On the beach...
picture.php

His first show :)

More to come if you want :p (theyre on my profile too) :D

Shysmum

www.youtube.com
Binky - you are sooooo lucky !! The main advantage of the pig oil I spose is that we're on clay soil, so it helps brush it out.

Danni - love the breast cancer research outfit :D

Theresa_F

Visit site
Yes we have some in the South West area - Sunnybank EC in Wales and also Bristol & Bath Borders Showing Show. I am now the Show/Event Secretary for the TGCA and am currently getting as many shows as possible round the country to run classes for us and any local info on shows would be appreciated so I can make contact with the people running them.

christi

Visit site
Ive never used pig oil and sulphur or any other lotion and potions on my cob in all the years ive owned her , only thing i use is canter mane and tail spray on mane tail and feathers .

SuperCoblet

Visit site
Danni - love the breast cancer research outfit :D

Hehe thanks :D It was great fun, some of the other horses there were fab! My friend and her hairy cob were ALL pink (yes they even spray painted the horse and his feathers! :p) they looked fab, i remember one grey pony was clipped everywhere exept his hind where he had the batman symbol in hair and they painted it pink! ooh good times :)

Last edited:

Kub

Visit site
Yes we have some in the South West area - Sunnybank EC in Wales and also Bristol & Bath Borders Showing Show. I am now the Show/Event Secretary for the TGCA and am currently getting as many shows as possible round the country to run classes for us and any local info on shows would be appreciated so I can make contact with the people running them.

Ah probably a bit far for me when lacking transport :( Need to find me a kind person to give me nice discovery at a nice price orrrrr win the lottery :D