Views on Gypsy Cobs

Theresa_F

Visit site
I think I might have to hate you:p

Think of me when I am turning Stinky into Quite by Chance - at least he has a black tail, forelock and three quarters of his mane is black and 50 - 50 bay and white. That said it can still take two hours cleaning and scrubbing at the start of the season, and I bag the mane and tail so it is easy to comb out.:eek: Then at least 40 minutes before the class polishing and combing out the hair - I must be mad.

I can have the pony Ella shows bathed, plaited and ready in under an hour - black with four white socks - so easy and quick. There are times when I long for a black show cob.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
My creature: brought over from Ireland 6 weeks before I bought him-think he's definitely Irish and a cob!

Beaushowdesktoppicture-1.jpg

DSC000091.jpg

The_snoopster

Visit site
This is my coloured cob this winter with her filly (Daisy), she is 22 this year and cannot wait to start weaning this spring so we can get out and about again. She came from ireland at the age of 12, she will have a go at anything I ask of her.
9ddd5e7b.jpg

Last edited:

jumbyjack

Visit site
Some really stunning horses on here, I do like the hairy cob but they are seriously hard work to keep them clean and tidy.

I do continually wonder who deceided to call them a vanner, a vanner was a carriage horse, not top quality but more of a smart workmanlike tradesman's horse. The term vanna is even worse, where on earth did that ome from?

cblover

Visit site
I love them so much I have two! One is a pure bred gypsy cob and the other is a clydesdale x gypsy cob. Both coloured obviously and a huge amount of work to keep clean and comfortable with regard to feather mites etc! ..... But I wouldn't have it any other way!

jodie3

Visit site
Lovely pics on here, although I don't think I could cope with too much white and like my cobs clipped and hogged!

While we are talking cobs can you tell me what a Blagdon cob is?

I agree with a previous poster about remembering when coloureds were not popular at all and were looked down on as being common horses of very little value and more suited to pulling a rag and bone cart than being ridden. 40 plus years ago my favourite horse at the riding school was a coloured cob but very few people liked him then. Nowadays he would probably be the favourite horse on the yard!

Frankieblue

New User
Visit site
I have to say I love them :D I also agree with pretty much everything everyone has said about them, mine is gentle, kind, bright and safe as houses but on the other hand he can be strong, bolshy, sharp and as daft as a brush. What I love most is his attitude, he is no where close to fit right now and always carries too much weight but he doesn't know when to quit, he will keep up with any Hunter/Eventer we hack out with and will keep going all day long (and nurse them past the odd dragon or 2).
This is my boy
picture.php

bensababy

Visit site
I have to say I love them :D I also agree with pretty much everything everyone has said about them, mine is gentle, kind, bright and safe as houses but on the other hand he can be strong, bolshy, sharp and as daft as a brush. What I love most is his attitude, he is no where close to fit right now and always carries too much weight but he doesn't know when to quit, he will keep up with any Hunter/Eventer we hack out with and will keep going all day long (and nurse them past the odd dragon or 2).
This is my boy
picture.php

wow what a stunner..

Feathered

Visit site
This is my boy
picture.php

Wow!! :eek: he's an absolute stunner!!!

Edited to say, bensababy, you beat me to it!

cloudandmatrix

Visit site
Learnt to ride at a riding school with a large number of gypsy cobs, therefore I have a certain fondness for them. They were all so different, for example
Cob 1- 13.2hh, tricoloured, safe as houses, wonderful gentle mare
Cob 2- 13.2hh, bay, quite quirky, can be lazy, and can also throw a decent buck- I loved him
Cob 3- 15hh, skewbald, off your leg, likes to buck and can be bolshy, but works really well too.
Lots of gorgeous cobs on here :)

Shysmum

www.youtube.com
I'm using pig oil on his mane and tail. The mane's three foot long now in places, I just want to see how far down it'll grow - I love it !! I don't know what to do now his forelock has reached the tip of his muzzle - don't want to stop it growing, but is that ok ? I can plait it if needs be I guess. His tail is just amazing !

Compared to when I first got him, first left of my sig...... sm x

SuperCoblet

Visit site
I say the longer, thicker- the better :D gypsys tail is MAHOOSIVE! I'm sure he has a secret miniature pony friends hiding in there somewhere! It's been described as a hedge! Also takes about 30 mins to brush and that's WITH conditioner and de tangler! :rolleyes:

christi

Visit site
I'm using pig oil on his mane and tail. The mane's three foot long now in places, I just want to see how far down it'll grow - I love it !! I don't know what to do now his forelock has reached the tip of his muzzle - don't want to stop it growing, but is that ok ? I can plait it if needs be I guess. His tail is just amazing !

Compared to when I first got him, first left of my sig...... sm x

My cobs forelock is down past her muzzles and does not bother her at all .:)

JFTDWS

Visit site
Personally I love them, but I can't abide the fat ones. I tend to find they're the ones who belong to the afore mentioned "certain type of lady" ;) I like to keep mine properly in shape, same for the native too.

I'm sure I read that vanners were part bred (between an eighth and a sixteenth?) TB, hence the longer legs and less feathering etc. Some on this thread are definitely what I would class as a vanner, while others (like my lad) are definitely in the "cob" bracket.

9529_510926065697_278600097_645068_8121296_n.jpg

16662_511017811837_278600097_650347_3068063_n.jpg

christi

Visit site
Personally I love them, but I can't abide the fat ones. I tend to find they're the ones who belong to the afore mentioned "certain type of lady" ;) I like to keep mine properly in shape, same for the native too.

I'm sure I read that vanners were part bred (between an eighth and a sixteenth?) TB, hence the longer legs and less feathering etc. Some on this thread are definitely what I would class as a vanner, while others (like my lad) are definitely in the "cob" bracket.

9529_510926065697_278600097_645068_8121296_n.jpg

16662_511017811837_278600097_650347_3068063_n.jpg

What is the "certain type of lady" that you all speak of ? as ive never heard this saying before :) could you let me in on what this means ? :)