VIP pads

PatchyBabyHorse

Visit site
My saddle has been giving new baby pony a sore back. He hasn’t complained, the physio found it and saddler confirmed.
I’ve since spent eleventy billion pounds on an amazing new saddle (still being made) and Fairfax girth, but I’m still worrying about his poor old sore back.

I’ll be asking the saddler too, but wondered what people’s views on VIP pads are please? For long term comfort? Thanks!

Brownmare

Visit site
I'll be interested to hear the responses to this as I'm tempted to get one for my sensitive girl. She is currently happy with large amounts of dead sheep lol but it is a faff to wash it all and I like the idea of something less bulky.

TPO

Visit site
If you search there are a few threads about these pads already. The reviews are overwhelmingly positive.

I'm just happy that theyve finally released a brown one!

dixie

Visit site
My friend absolute raves about it. I however splashed out on one and its made no difference whatsoever ?. It does stay in place very well though!

Scarlett

Visit site
Very tempted by one of these. Have an older boy at 22 who's still in work but can be, in some circumstances, a bit cold backed. Physio is happy with his back and he rides well but I do wonder if this might just offer him a little extra comfort.

My only issue is that he's ridden in a half pad with a front riser, and I'm not sure how/where it'd go. Not keen on it going straight onto his back, but doubt we'd get the benefit of it elsewhere?

Flowerofthefen

Visit site
Very tempted by one of these. Have an older boy at 22 who's still in work but can be, in some circumstances, a bit cold backed. Physio is happy with his back and he rides well but I do wonder if this might just offer him a little extra comfort.

My only issue is that he's ridden in a half pad with a front riser, and I'm not sure how/where it'd go. Not keen on it going straight onto his back, but doubt we'd get the benefit of it elsewhere?
The vip can go straight on their backs but I know what you mean! It is very thin so could go between riser and saddle?

Pippity

Visit site
If you search there are a few threads about these pads already. The reviews are overwhelmingly positive.

I'm just happy that theyve finally released a brown one!

The brown one's a weirdly bright colour and ends up looking very visible, while the black one just looks like a shadow.

I won one last week, and I'm just waiting for it to arrive. I'm not expecting a massive change, but anything to make Blue more comfortable is welcome.

TPO

Visit site
The brown one's a weirdly bright colour and ends up looking very visible, while the black one just looks like a shadow.

I won one last week, and I'm just waiting for it to arrive. I'm not expecting a massive change, but anything to make Blue more comfortable is welcome.

Hmm that's disappointing. Do you have the brown and have just won a black version?

PatchyBabyHorse

Visit site

ooh really? Have you got one?
I’ve just ordered brown...!

Reactions: TPO

Pippity

Visit site
Hmm that's disappointing. Do you have the brown and have just won a black version?

I don't have either yet, but I've seen both under a friend's brown saddle, and the brown one's a lot more visible. It's quite an orangey brown - almost newmarket tan.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Just be aware they don't have a high wither version yet and there are some saddles, especially WOW, where the panel is bigger than the pad. There's a new version on the way, apparently.

Muddywellies

Visit site
I bought one and tbh found absolutely no difference. I was expecting to get Valegro when using it. Maybe I should have managed my own expectations a bit better ?

Louby

Visit site
I ummmed and ahhhhed as they are so expensive but clicked buy it now after a few San Miguels :D and so glad I did!! My sensitive mare has not had the usual 'shes a bit sore' or words to that effect in her saddle area from the physio since. Shes not turned into Valegro lol but I do think the pad has made her more comfortable. She has withers and the pad pulls into the gullet of the saddle nicely and stays there. I dont have any regrets. I bought black btw and it fits lovely under my 17.5 inch dressage saddle.
There is a VIP Equestrian pge on Facebook which were giving 10% off and free postage when I bought mine.

V&F

Visit site
I tried a brown one not so long ago. Liked the concept behind it but made no difference to my boy.

its not supposed to adjust the fit on the saddle but I’m sure it made my saddle fit a bit oddly when using it. Also wasn’t too keen on how it bunches up in the middle, I did message VIP to see if this was normal and if it would make for any odd pressure points, I didn’t get a response though!

I didn’t find the brown colour too bright, have attached a photo (also shows how it bunches up in the middle when using a high wither saddle pad)

Attachments

• 741A76F6-469A-4902-9744-89122F12479E.jpeg
    741A76F6-469A-4902-9744-89122F12479E.jpeg
    109.8 KB · Views: 41
  • FB229600-E7D9-4423-AFEC-821B52DCFB6A.jpeg
    FB229600-E7D9-4423-AFEC-821B52DCFB6A.jpeg
    102.9 KB · Views: 41

TPO

Visit site
I tried a brown one not so long ago. Liked the concept behind it but made no difference to my boy.

its not supposed to adjust the fit on the saddle but I’m sure it made my saddle fit a bit oddly when using it. Also wasn’t too keen on how it bunches up in the middle, I did message VIP to see if this was normal and if it would make for any odd pressure points, I didn’t get a response though!

I didn’t find the brown colour too bright, have attached a photo (also shows how it bunches up in the middle when using a high wither saddle pad)

Thank you for sharing

Is the wrinkling/bunching up something that anyone else has experienced?

ycbm

Visit site
Thank you for sharing

Is the wrinkling/bunching up something that anyone else has experienced?

Yes, I use high wither cloths and if you pull it up into the gullet that's what will happen. It seems to be designed to sit flat across the wither.

And you can see from that photo just how small the bearing surface is at the front.

I sent mine back.

ycbm

Visit site
its not supposed to adjust the fit on the saddle but I’m sure it made my saddle fit a bit oddly when using it.

I agree. I thought it was as thick as a squashed down wool (not sheepskin) backed saddle cloth and they adjust the fit. If the panel overruns it on the front that will change the fit and feel too.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Mine didn't particularly scrunch up, I used it on lemieux and esky pads. I sold it because it was too thin for the horse left in work but I'd buy another now for TB if I had spare funds.

oldie48

Visit site
Mine doesn't bunch up, I put it between the saddle pad (le mieux) and saddle, pull pad and VIP up into the gullet and that's where it stays. I think anyone who thinks it's going to turn their horse into Valegro is over estimating it's purpose. I just find Rose is softer in her back and it is very noticeable that she has developed more muscle at and behind her whither and across her back since I've used the VIP, it could be a co-incidence of course. With hindsight, I think it would have helped my old boy, who could be tight in his back but Rose is particularly sensitive partly, I think, because she is an older horse who had a long time out of work and therefore, lost all her muscle and partly because she's got a lot of natural movement which can become choppy and uncomfortable to ride if she's tight and tense. Like a lot of kit, it's not a cure all but can be a useful addition.

LegOn

Visit site
Mine doesnt bunch up either - but if it did, would you not just put it directly onto the back under the numnah, where it would be flatter on the back? I've used it both ways & had the same results.

So nothing is going to turn your horse into Valegro but I noticed a very specific and subtle change in my horse... he found it easier to carry himself through transitions and not fall out of them with alot less work or set up from me, he was able to keep his back engaged regardless if I didnt ride the transition as light and floaty as I should have! I found he was able to stay rounder and softer & more consistent throughout.

PatchyBabyHorse

Visit site
This is what they say on the Facebook page about performance, which I thought showed a very sensible attitude.
If the company themselves were claiming that it was one of those magic products that would instantly transform any horse <cougharcequinecough> I don’t think I’d have bought one.

Attachments

• CF43AF1F-C9FE-44FF-B2E1-6E8D67951C8C.png
    CF43AF1F-C9FE-44FF-B2E1-6E8D67951C8C.png
    273.9 KB · Views: 32
  • A996A127-198A-44BA-8170-5ACD157E65DD.png
    A996A127-198A-44BA-8170-5ACD157E65DD.png
    262.9 KB · Views: 28

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
I've had to stop using the VIP pad on my jump saddle because of bunching, really hope they bring a new version out that solves the issue. Still love it under my dressage saddle though!