Visiting at Stud???

juliehannah58

Visit site
I dropped my beloved Marey at stud yesterday, hopefully later this week she will be turned out with her new man
laugh.gif
as she is running with her stallion. I am in two minds whether or not to visit her, on the one hand I'll miss her and it will put my mind at rest, but on the other I don't want to upset her or myself if I see she isn't 100% happy etc etc. She's a bit of a stressy mare (hence the running with the lovely gent of a stally!) so I don't know what to do for the best.

I'd like to hear peoples opinions or experiences! Thanks
smile.gif

Bounty

www.freewebs.com
Tills went to stud last week and can be a stressy away from home, thought this is only a recent development in the last 12 months. I decided NOT to visit her at all (even though she was noly 10mins away) as I thought she'd settle better without me. Apparently the poor girl stood there shaking for the first two days, but was fine after she'd gotten her head around the fact that I wasn't going to rush back and get her. She stayed for a week and was perfectly happy when we went to pick her up.
Hope this reassures you!

Faithkat

Visit site
I visited my mare two or three times a week before she foaled and I now go three or four times a week so I can handle the foal. I only intend go for about half an hour per visit but usually end up getting roped in to help round up yearlings for worming (that can be exciting!)/hold mares while they do unmentionable things with straws of semen or scan cameras/get mares in for the latter and then turn them out again .. . . . all sorts of things! My mare loves it at the stud and settled in really quickly when she went to be covered last year and when she went back to foal this year. The stud are great though, they don't mind me visiting at all - mind you, I have managed to "sell" £7,000-worth of horses for them . . . they like me!

Chambon

www.picturetrail.com
I sent one of my mares with foal at foot off to stud about 3 weeks ago, and although I miss them terribly, I wouldn't dream of visiting them unless the stud phoned me to say there was a problem.

When you leave your mare at stud, you leave her in the stud's hands and they take responsibility for her. Their primary objectives are to look after your mare while she is there, and to send her home in foal.

If you have trusted your mare to them, I would let them get on with it.

henryhorn

www.narramorehorses.blogspot.com
We never object if anyone wants to visit their mare anytime without notice, but few people come more than once. Their mares settle so well they virtually gnore their owners and that peeves them I think!
By all means ring and ask, I'm sure they won't mind, the biggest risk is really is if you have kids with you and take them in a field of unknown mares, otherwise provided you don't want to bring the mare into the yard and upset any stabled stallions there should be no problem.

Gingernags

Visit site
blush.gif
I guess I'm odd then really... When Asti goes I'll not only be visiting - which they are fine about - they have agreed I can be there when she's covered to help. But I was a trained stud groom and she knows who I used to work for and knows me in passing too, so she's fine with it. Plus she does have a very small operation really so I think the help will be useful!

Just need my swab results back... like now please! And she'll be in the trailer that night.. due in season now so we can hopefully catch her straight away!

I'm getting soooo impatient!!!
grin.gif