Volunteering

teapot

Visit site
Rather than derail the thread re Pippa Funnell's thoughts on eventing, will do a seperate thread.

How many of you volunteer BE/BD/BS ( or even RDA, PC etc)? Good, bad experiences? Experiences overshadow the bad bits?

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I have done BE a few times, but can really only do half a day due to having commitments. Some events haven't been interested in half a day. I think they are missing a trick, as I am sure that many more people would volunteer for half a day. I need to get back for dogs and horses, and for a while I was not fit enough for a full day, but would have done many half days.

The ones I went to were happy for half days and welcoming. They got a good deal and so did I.

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
I do a couple of BE/local UA events and then RC when I can. I used to do RDA but it is always in the week so that stopped once I had a regular week-day hours job.

I've never had a bad experience that I can recall, but I'm fairly easily pleased - I just like seeing people enjoying horses

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Low spot has to be Pippa Funnell arriving at the cross country collecting ring just as I'd snuck under the counter of the shed I was in to have a quick pee in a takeaway mug. I hope she never realised!

Lack of loos close by if your on your own is a big problem ?

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
I fence judge several times a year at UA events which are extremely well run and at my RC. The XC course is very local so it doesn’t matter if it runs on a bit late and I always do full days. We are well fed and watered throughout the day and there is always a thank you for volunteering, sometimes schooling vouchers or a bottle of wine. I have only done one BE event at the same venue and found it much more stressful. On my own at a stopping fence with no loos nearby made for a lot of leg crossing ? I don’t compete but enjoy watching others and it’s a way of giving back to those that do and it’s lovely when random people walking the course come to the car specifically to say thank you. I was going to volunteer for Upton but my knackered back wouldn’t take kindly to sitting in the car all day at the moment.

The Jokers Girl

Visit site
I fence judge at BE events. Absolutely love it and hoping Allerton Park still goes ahead this year as it was amazing last year. As a fence judge always felt really appreciated and respected and I always ask to be on an exciting fence and near a loo. Most of the time the organisers are happy to oblige. Recommend going in a pair though so nipping off to spend a penny doesn't become something out if the Krypton Factor

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
ive volunteered for BD & BE and only had positive experiences. fence judging is very hard work, unless there is a hold on the course its very difficult to eat or drink and as its all day i have to get my dogs looked after.. agree if BE would do half days i think more people would offer. i wont at the moment as wouldnt want to leave my old dog with someone else just in case there is an emergency and decisions could be delayed if they couldnt get hold of me and i wouldnt want her to be without me at the end....

TPO

Visit site
I replied on the other thread not realising this thread existed.

Only bad experiences because of rude riders/their associates. Don't get me wrong the majority of people are lovely but it really does just take that one rude person to ruin it.

Some people think that they should get special treatment and that they are the most important person at a competition. Those seem people seem to think that they are better than volunteers and that they can speak to volunteers like something they stood in...

Volunteering at horse comps isn't something that I particularly enjoy but I feel like I should try and help. Then Mr or Ms A. Hole come along and make me regret ever offering to help.

It's been a few years pre covid since I volunteered at anything however several pleas went out on fb recently desperate for volunteers for a BE event. A friend and I contacted the organiser to volunteer and we've not even had an thanks but no thanks. No acknowledgement or reply at all. I do appreciate that organisers are extremely busy with 101 things to do but to post such desperate cries for help and to then not even have the manners to reply.

Maybe one day the penny will drop that I should give up trying.

I dont know if it matters but I don't compete so sitting at a fence or running a collecting ring or doing tack checks doesn't benefit me in anyway. I'm not supporting "my" sports for my benefit. Any time I've done it it jas just been to help those that needed it.

Maybe if there were less volunteers BE would start making competitors or their associates do compulsory "volunteering"?

crazyandme

Visit site
Not specifically mentioned, but I've volunteered several times for endurance rides, and usually been pretty well looked after! And often thanked by the organiser/given a bottle of wine as well

Riders generally haven't been too bad, most are reasonably chatty. Some are a bit stuck up, but that's by the by really.

I did spent a few years with RDA as well, and got thanked hugely for that each time I helped out. Ended up stopping as school work was starting to pile up, and I had my own pony to sort!

cold_feet

Visit site
Not specifically mentioned, but I've volunteered several times for endurance rides, and usually been pretty well looked after! And often thanked by the organiser/given a bottle of wine as well

Riders generally haven't been too bad, most are reasonably chatty. Some are a bit stuck up, but that's by the by really.

I did spent a few years with RDA as well, and got thanked hugely for that each time I helped out. Ended up stopping as school work was starting to pile up, and I had my own pony to sort!
I volunteer at Endurance events too. Mostly good experiences, but as someone above said about BE, half days would be good. To be stuck at a checkpoint on a 120km ride for 10 hours when you might see a handful of riders is a tough call.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Positive experiences with RDA, fence judging/timing at hunter trials, stewarding/judging at RC/Agricultural shows, all of course suspended over the last year or so. I have made lifelong friends from volunteering for more than 30 years. The local Agricultural Show have been the worst ones for looking after and feeding stewards, despite the best efforts of the Horse Section Secretary. The Shetland Society have definitely been the best - they paid expenses and provided a very good lunch, with a proper break for lunch. I have recently told anybody who asks that I can only do half-days

Last edited:

teapot

Visit site
My voluntary experience has been primarily RDA based and always felt part of the family. Made good friends through it too.

Volunteered for my first affiliated day week before last, and won't be offering my time again to that specific place. Not because of what I was doing, it was a cog in the wheel albeit I didn't see a horse. It was the lack of relief/loo break, seeing anyone, and not getting a thank you.

ETS: no horse, never competed, so for me it wasn't about giving back either. I started with RDA to boost a very weak CV at the time, and just stayed with it, it's a wonderful organisation. Sessions running on weekdays will be the death of it though - the next generation of group leaders and committees cannot get that time off work.

Last edited:

Lexi_

Visit site
Volunteer at almost all of the NW BE events (not Bold Heath, it’s terrible) as well as Barbury and Blenheim, when we have a little holiday and see all the SW gang ? We do Cholmondeley UA as well as Musketeer run it and we’re on their mailing list, but I’m not really looped into local horsey circles so I have no idea what other UA events there are that need vols.

We fence judge for the most part but have done a bit of cross country collecting ring stewarding. Think I enjoyed it more than Mum did ? The pros (other than one Brazilian rider) are pretty much all lovely and polite, it’s the over-competitive dads who try and shout at you that get on my wick.

I’m not far from Aintree so should probably see if they ever need dressage writers etc for their BD competitions, but just haven’t got round to it.

Oh, and I do it for fun rather than any notion of giving back. Haven’t got a horse, don’t compete, I just really like fence judging!

irishdraft

Visit site
I've volunteered at BE &RC events sometimes good, sometimes bad ie arriving after hour plus drive to find your not required really upsets me this was a BE event this same event left me jump judging all day on my own with no refreshments I shan't name it but it is run by someone else now . Chilham BE do half days of which I've done a few and they still look after you very well .RC events have been fine in my experience they look after you and appreciate .

GinaGeo

Visit site
I have volunteered at a few BE’s when I was still Eventing and some days for my local Riding Club before it ceased to exist.

I did have one particularly interesting, mind boggling and hectic day in the Control Box. Which was a fascinating insight into what happens behind the scenes. I really enjoyed that.

I was always well looked after and enjoyed it.

I do always try and thank the Fence Judges when I walk the course. I know how much it meant to me.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I burnt out from RC organising. Epic days with never enough help. I will never forget organising area winter indoor SJing, I did 12 hours at the venue in January, unheated (+ doing all the times etc earlier in the week). Not enough room to do the presentation in the arena with jumps in so we asked to for help getting them lifted on the trailer that was driving round the ring so they didn't even need to be carrying. The amount of complaining and flat refusal that went on :rolleyes:.

I highly recommend stewarding for carriage driving, last national was 10-2 so plenty of time to fit other things around it and enough food to keep you going for 12 hours. :p

I don't mind helping, I quite enjoy it and meeting new people to natter to and have always been very grateful for those that do, but I got a bit jaded and although I do have more free time now and no horse to look after of my own my weekend days are precious and I do need recharge time built in to start monday again.

Visit site
I steward at a few showing shows a year and generally you couldn't get a nicer bunch of people but that could be because I am usually in the Hunter ring avoiding the kids ??? honestly they are way better craic! I stewarded down at Aintree National Show a few years ago as I needed to do some Shetland probationing so I offered to help out the day before and the morning before the Shetland section. In return I was fed both days and given my own room in the stable lads accommodation for 2 nights. Carry really looks after you! I had an absolute blast on the first day in with Hunters, Riding Horses and Hacks. I am very good at legging people up hence why I am usually to be found in that ring. People then find it strange that I show shetlands ? the next day I stewarded in the TGCA classes a breed I knew nothing about bit learnt a great deal about as the judge was very happy, willing and keen to teach me about the breed.

Most shows will at least feed you for the day. When I ran my racehorse show my 3 stewards went home with gift bags to match the judges full of alcohol, chocolates and flowers.

Events that you feel appreciated at make you want to go back.

Renvers

Visit site
I have volunteered for BD, BS and BE, I have had really good experiences with all of them. Tend to be well looked after and always feel appreciated by organisers and competitors.

Once dealt with a nasty fall XC, it was nerve wracking remembering to radio the control, deal with rider and loose horse all whilst on my won at a fence! Thankfully the rider was okay after medical treatment and her mum bought her over later in the day to say thank you. That was so lovely, it made it all worthwhile.

Visit site
I have volunteered for BD, BS and BE, I have had really good experiences with all of them. Tend to be well looked after and always feel appreciated by organisers and competitors.

Once dealt with a nasty fall XC, it was nerve wracking remembering to radio the control, deal with rider and loose horse all whilst on my won at a fence! Thankfully the rider was okay after medical treatment and her mum bought her over later in the day to say thank you. That was so lovely, it made it all worthwhile.

At least in showing it is all kind of fenced in and whenever I have had a rider decked I just holler Back To Walk - everyone hears me! I have a hell of a set of lungs on me that makes classes 2 rings over go and stop too at times ? I just go catch the loose pony and leave someone else to deal with the rider ?

shortstuff99

Currently Cambridgeshire! (or where ever I fancy)!
Visit site
I'm an official steward for BRC so help at area qualifiers and nationals. The BRC nationals are always amazing to help at and you get 3 course lunch and dinner with free hotel, amazing ?.

I do get asked to do a lot of shows as I'm an experienced XC and DR scorer and venues can be hit and miss. I used to like helping at keysoe as could get loads of free hire/ entry vouchers. The new owners now won't do that so I don't really go anymore.

On the other side as an organiser of horse trials it is so hard to get volunteers! No one wants to help and then when you do get volunteers half of them won't turn up on the day, it is so stressful!

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I was forever relieved no one in the club ever qualified for nationals as you were also supposed to provide stewards. It seemed pretty unlikely anyone would be up for it.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I've volunteered at BE &RC events sometimes good, sometimes bad ie arriving after hour plus drive to find your not required really upsets me this was a BE event
I've had that happen a couple of times recently. Too many dressage writers milling about, not enough fence judges, all rather chaotic and I can no longer be @rsed to give up my day to find out when I get there that there is no job for me ?‍♀️.

Even before this, I will not FJ on my tod even when strong armed 'Oh, we're short handed blah blah'. At the least I need pee breaks. I've done full days solo before, and never again.

I've stopped my volunteering now, I'm fed up with being messed about. It's a shame really, I've had some great days, usually dressage writing or FJing.

EventingMum

Visit site
Some experiences can really put you off. One such instance was a reasonable sized agricultural show where I was asked to judge. The afternoon before I was asked could I also bring a steward so I managed to do that. The day itself was the hottest of the year, I started judging at 10am, after a few hours I had to give my steward money to go and get us a drink between classes and we eventually finished the championship at 3.45pm. I was exhausted having ridden goodness knows how many horses and standing in the scorching heat. When I reported back to the secretary and handed in the results she eventually said "Oh do want a burger or some chips?". The following year I politely declined the offer to judge again!

I have done a lot with RDA which can be very rewarding but feel that sometimes volunteers get put under a lot of pressure to do increasingly more and more which can put people off.

Zuzan

Visit site
I gave up vet writing at Endurance as couldn't face watching the vet getting going over by riders who didn't accept being vetted out or called out for thrashing too young horses around the route..

I gave up fence judging at local event as thankless task... Plus I work v full time and ended up resenting spending an entire day watching other people do what I wanted to be doing..

I gave up stewarding at shows as similarly thankless .. the last one I got a totally poisonious bottle of wine (and I'm no wine snob) to show for a a day of alternately being drenched and eaten alive by midges ..

Overall the lack of manners of competitors just left me feeling like I never wanted to see another human and ruining weekends.

Reactions: TPO

asmp

Visit site
My daughter and I have been volunteering for some years now at BE and RC and have never had a really bad experience (apart from getting soaked a few times). I was surprised that someone said there never was much time to eat as thats what we do all day - from the bacon rolls first thing to the homemade cakes in the afternoon! The worst one was a PC competition when it was really hot and I didn’t get offered even a drink. However, I did like the fact that the prize giving wasn’t done until all the jumps had been taken down - it made everyone help.

And yes, it is nice to be thanked by the competitors ?

teapot

Visit site
My daughter and I have been volunteering for some years now at BE and RC and have never had a really bad experience (apart from getting soaked a few times). I was surprised that someone said there never was much time to eat as thats what we do all day - from the bacon rolls first thing to the homemade cakes in the afternoon! The worst one was a PC competition when it was really hot and I didn’t get offered even a drink. However, I did like the fact that the prize giving wasn’t done until all the jumps had been taken down - it made everyone help.

And yes, it is nice to be thanked by the competitors ?

Hard to eat when you're doing paperwork/ticking people off/playing lorry tetris with people going 'oh but I have a pop out, I can't park THERE' non stop.

The nicest people and most unassuming were the para riders. Says it all...

Visit site
Some experiences can really put you off. One such instance was a reasonable sized agricultural show where I was asked to judge. The afternoon before I was asked could I also bring a steward so I managed to do that. The day itself was the hottest of the year, I started judging at 10am, after a few hours I had to give my steward money to go and get us a drink between classes and we eventually finished the championship at 3.45pm. I was exhausted having ridden goodness knows how many horses and standing in the scorching heat. When I reported back to the secretary and handed in the results she eventually said "Oh do want a burger or some chips?". The following year I politely declined the offer to judge again!

I have done a lot with RDA which can be very rewarding but feel that sometimes volunteers get put under a lot of pressure to do increasingly more and more which can put people off.

When I am stewarding I have a wee basket in the ring with a couple of bottles of water and a few of those mini packets of biscuits - jammy dodgers or party rings which always keeps a judge going until the end of a class or section.

In winter I also keep a stash of those disposable hand warmers in the basket too.

Last edited:

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site
I've FJd at events fairly often, never had a bad experience as such but as I have a weak bladder, needing to go to the loo is the worst part if you're on your own. I've done half days but usually sign up to a full day.
The only experience which left a slightly sour taste in my mouth was a hunt organised hunter trial. My business sponsored one of the classes and I was fence judging, and thought I'd also be presenting the prizes and rosettes but by the time I got back after the last rider had gone, they'd done it without me. They've lost out as I won't be sponsoring them again as no one really looks at who's sponsored the class so the only opportunity for the sponsor to get noticed is at the prize giving.

asmp

Visit site
Hard to eat when you're doing paperwork/ticking people off/playing lorry tetris with people going 'oh but I have a pop out, I can't park THERE' non stop.

The nicest people and most unassuming were the para riders. Says it all...
Ah, we usually fence judge so have the 2 minutes between horses to pig out!

Helped out as secretary at a local show last week and despite the atrocious weather it was good to see most of the competitors still smiling, just happy to be out competing again.

OldNag

Wasting my time successfully....
Visit site
I have volunteered quire a lot at PC events and have always had a good experience.

Our branch really does look after volunteers, especially people without kids involved. It makes a difference. Properly fed, bottle of wine and heartfelt thanks.

Have volunteered at regional/national PC stuff too and again, really felt appreciated.

Mine are out of PC now and I am short of time, but I do plan to do more volunteering in future years when I am not so stretched.