Wait for the considerate cyclist, NOT

Annie B.

Visit site
Don't get me started on ignorant cyclists, the mountain bikers round us are like kamikaze pilots. On another note your horse is an absolute angel and welcome to move in with me anytime :).

maggiestar

Visit site
I'm going to play devil's advocate here.
He WAS fast but it's a designated a cycle path so it can't have been a complete surprise to meet a cyclist. Bear in mind that this guy may not have been clued up about the needs of horses and riders - why should he when he's on a cycle path and doesn't expect to meet them? Swearing and calling him a ******** probably wasn't the best way to dispel the myth that horse riders are arrogant, entitled snobs.
Now, I'm not sure what the law says about shared use of cycle lanes so you could have a perfectly legal right to use them. Not sure I'd enjoy it myself though. At least with cars you can hear them coming!

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
The horses look to be on a path next to the cycle path, plus I doubt if it matters exactly who is where, given that the rule of the highway is that we all give way to pedestrians, then horses, so the cyclist should have taken more care. Plus of course in the event of a sideways spook the cyclist would have come off worst!

Dave's Mam

Visit site
It's a split use path, but cyclists tend to forget that just because half of it is designated to them, that they should have some consideration to folk on the other half. Nobs.

Your horses are fab & being a Notts resident, the accent sounds baht reet to me.

Last edited:

Dave's Mam

Visit site
In addition, I was driving home tonight on a fast A road 50 mph & a cyclist appeared at a side road. There's a bollard at the junction & something said to me "He / she's not stopping". They didn't. Had they not stuck TIGHT to the kerb, & I hadn't predicted their knobbishness, it could have been very messy.

Mike007

Visit site
I do have to say that those of us living and riding at "ground zero" headley/Boxhill where the olympic hill climbs were for the road races, have noticed an improvement in cyclist awareness. At first we had every numpty out on the road. (Bradley Wiggins nearly went under the front wheels of my truck).Now there is a much more peaceful coexistence. Possibly it is Darwinism , the lunatics have got killed off.Or possibly they have learnt .

pixie

Visit site
Somehow our quiet country (single track) lane has become part of an official cycling route. No consultation, the first we knew about it was signs put up at either lane end, directing the lycra-clad masses in our direction. They come full-pelt round windy blind corners. With so many farm vehicles about, its a wonder there hasn't been a serious accident yet.

Hallo2012

Visit site
the road past my yard is part of a road race route(think thats what they are called) so not only do we every fortnight get flocks of them flying along, heads down and oblivious, every day is swamped with them practicing.

which is fine, to each their own and they probably think i'm just as bonkers wanting to ride a horse BUT they just seem to have NO brains.....................they skim past the horses barely inches away with no warning. Do they not realise a kick at close range is going to break a limb and break the bike?!

thankfully even the 4yo is pretty much ok with them but i always shout to slow down/give more room/give us verbal warning in case the next horse they meet isnt ok with it.

even my OH who is a super keen cyclist gets sick of them and shouts too!

Damnation

Visit site
I love your accent and comments lol. P.s .... don't think your awesome ponies noticed him either he was so quick lol

Inconsiderate cyclists are a bug bear of mine. Round here they are good around the horses, but around cars, no!

Riding 3 abreast last night, took them half a mile to notice I was there and start to pull in but still taking over the entire of my side of the road, I wanted to turn left just ahead of them so just hung back, indicated and waited.

Without a single shoulder look or arm being stuck out they turned left and did a U-turn in the junction. No shoulder checks, no indications, they didn't even stop to pull in at a safe place (50 meteres up the road there is a layby) to turn around. I nearly bloody hit the lot of them as I turned left and they were all just casually turning around in front of me.

Grr. Now I have no problem with sharing the road with considerate road users, but they were not considerate.

If I had hit them it would have been my fault, but you can't predict idiocy.

Jenna1406

Visit site
Myself and my sister in law to be decided to take the single track road back to the farm as my 4 year old had not dealt with any traffic and I wanted to see how she was. We were riding 2 abreast on the road (4 year old on the inside) and pulling in when cars etc came, all cars we came across were very good to us. When we were on a straight bit of road I happened to look behind us and seen a cyclist about 3 horses length behind and I asked for him to slow down as I was on a young horse, he ignored me and mounted the grass on the right side of the other horse.

another time my friend was taking her horse down the road and her mum followed her in the car as it was her first time on the road (unaware of the cycle race that was on), a cyclist undertook the pick up, not realising the horse was in front (with loads of hi vis on) had to swing to the right almost getting hit by oncoming traffic and kept going. He came back up 5 minutes later to say sorry but the finish line was just there :/ Thankfully the horse wasnt not bothered by this. Its scary.

Luci07

Visit site
I do have to say that those of us living and riding at "ground zero" headley/Boxhill where the olympic hill climbs were for the road races, have noticed an improvement in cyclist awareness. At first we had every numpty out on the road. (Bradley Wiggins nearly went under the front wheels of my truck).Now there is a much more peaceful coexistence. Possibly it is Darwinism , the lunatics have got killed off.Or possibly they have learnt .

Read your posts for yonks, never realised you are a neighbour.! Waves..Used to be on Ranmore where we had the same problem and now in Charlwood. Hacking not so good but the cyclists are a complete different (considerate)

VikingSong

Visit site
It looked like those double lanes where one is a footpath for pedestrians and the other is for cyclists.

He should have slowed down as he passed, but other than that I can't see what he did wrong? He was on the cycle path.

merlin100

Visit site
As someone who is a regular cyclist, has both a full car and motorbike licence, I can confirm that this guy is a prat!

I always give way to horse and ponies, I always have no matter what form of vehicle I'm in charge of.

It doesn't matter what type of vehicle these people are in or on, they're just very selfish!

meesha

Visit site
Round us most are considerate but the speed they come down hills round corners often on wrong side of road beggars belief!!. My other bugbear is that they stop to wait for their mates on blind corners with their bikes chucked partially in the road, groups of them!! No self preservation!

dixie

Visit site
Am I the only one shocked you are actually riding down a road like that?
Is it actually going to somewhere nice or is that it

case895

Visit site
Nooooo, it was Thursday yesterday, today is Friday, keep up ;-)

I am thinking of asking Admin to create a new major heading (like The Tack Room) for anti-cyclist threads. It would get more new threads than some of the other rarely used categories.

Pedantic

Visit site
thought it was just me

We come off a river path, that's just a section we have to negotiate before heading back towards home, we do have to deal with a traffic crossing 5 mins later (similar to this one which crosses a Bridleway https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVaLVfu5jpQparticular) hack takes approx 1.5 to 2 hours depending on how many canters we can get along the river etc etc, I have been riding this area for about 10 years, and due to all the road/housing/commercial/industrial building McDonalds Blue Jay restaurant you name they are shoving it in everyone's face all being built and "still" being built (two minutes later my Po visibly was shocked to see a new massive construction to the right of us etc that wasn't there last time) this is how it is, get used to it, coming to a town near you, we don't get catered for at all in any shape or form, so you either get bullied out or get on with it, well I don't do getting bullied so there you are.

Happy hacking consists of Road Bridge river path open parks roads traffic crossings more side roads open green areas steps clanky bridges river back over bridge and home to farm, that's just one of my routes, used to regulary ride through City center for 3.5 hour hack.

Pedantic

Visit site
And me. Seems madness. No hope in hell for the horse if you came off.

"If" I came off, and I would never say never, he would stop and eat the nearest piece of grass, if your going to worry about horse riders coming off when riding on the roads, then no one would ever hack out anywhere, I didn't ask for all the extra building and traffic, the cyclist was catered for, why wasn't I ? there is a public park just back from where we came on, it has a BMX track built, the Rangers mark out every year for football/ cricket, there are Tennis courts, fishing Lake, children's play area etc , guess what , I phoned my councillor and asked if the trees that were being cut down and could they be put around the edge of the park for jumps for us, it wouldn't have cost anything, nope we didn't get that, we are treated like second class citizens, yea well I pay tax for 3 vehicles, I pay rates to the local area and pay my tax's to the government, so I have paid more than my share for cycle lanes and parks where I live, so I am going to use them, also I am insured for public liability to hack out, let me take a guess on chances of the cyclist being insured ?, pretty much zero I would say.