Waiting for the vet, so worried about my old boy.

Evie91

Visit site
Hope he is ok -my update.
My old girl had a similar episode just before Christmas - was also in the vile windy weather. She's ok now so hoping your boy makes a similar recovery!

southerncomfort

Visit site
Sorry to hear this but very glad that he seems brighter this morning.

Well done you for picking up so quickly that he wasn't right and getting the vet out straight away.

xx

ozpoz

Visit site
Another rectal under sedation and tubed 5galls. More sedation to do that and more painkillers. He's turned out now, grazing, and seems reasonably settled atm. Thanks again for all the kind thoughts.

Alec Swan

Visit site
A totally different situation, I understand, but I once foaled a mare, out, at 0730 on a Monday Morning, as soon as the foal was mobile, we brought them in to a box with a clean bed. The mare didn't muck that night, which started to worry me a little, she and the foal were turned out the next morning on a clean paddock. She didn't muck that day, NOR that night. By Wednesday she still hadn't mucked and I was starting to seriously worry. I 'phoned the Stud Groom who I knew from Sandringham, and asked if he too would worry. "Yes" was the reply. I 'phoned my vet that night at home and again asked him if he thought that an examination would be an idea. "Leave it till tomorrow" he said.

Thursday morning arrived and she was STILL retaining muck, though was showing no signs of distress, at all. Lunchtime arrived and as the vet drove in the yard, we could hear the mare straining and low and behold, a barrow full! She was never too keen on rectal examinations and I reckon that she'd hung on until the last moment!

The point of this post is that though far from ideal, a horse which doesn't always expel muck on a regular basis isn't necessarily suffering particularly. I'm sure that your old boy will be fine.

Thanks for the update!

Alec.

ozpoz

Visit site
He is 20.He's drinking well - I've had to bring him back in because there is shooting here this pm. he doesn't mind the guns but hates the beaters dogs! My daughter is going to stay with him while I'm at work - they have no electric with the storms at their house anyway. And I'm speaking to the vet at 4 again.

ozpoz

Visit site
Ozzie update. Appetite normal, poo normal - right now he is hunting for grass in the snow. I beginning to think he got stressed with a tree falling in his field, but I really don't know the cause of it all and have racked my brains/searched the field/ stared at him hoping for answers. : ) I kept him on painkillers, turned out as much as possible, and tried not to panic when all he wanted to do on the 3rd day was sleep.

Thank you everyone who posted so much for the support. I can't tell you what a difference it makes when you live alone somewhere isolated ( by British standards).
My best friend and some wonderful vets gave advice by phone, from a chalet in France, and my lovely family horse sat while I was at work.
I am so grateful for all of it.

ozpoz

Visit site
He won't - there is hay out, being ignored, but I made sure he had plenty before he was turned out.

It isn't as frozen today, despite the snow. It is surprisingly milder here and in a way I think it is safer than the frosty days with no snow but it's good of you to put out that reminder and I was very worried about waiting for the frost to lift a couple of days ago before he was turned out.
It is the wind due tomorrow that I'm worried about. He's anxious in wind since we had a hurricane a couple of years ago (so am I! ).

Merrymoles

Visit site
So far this week the forecast has been wrong for us (ie, snow and there hasn't been a flake) so fingers crossed the winds won't be as bad as predicted.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
He won't - there is hay out, being ignored, but I made sure he had plenty before he was turned out.
Its sun on frozen/snowy grass here, so I'm being ultra careful with mine, sorry if I sounded a bit of a know all. A good belly full of hay to line the gut before turnout is what I do, too. My cob is prone to gassy colic.

Hope you don't get the forecast gales.

ozpoz

Visit site
Me too : ) and you didn't in the least sound like a know all - it could have been life saving info.

Annagain

Visit site
So glad this is looking much more positive. The whinnying was what worried me more than anything. My old boy was doing this at me the morning I found him down in his stable and it had a very different ending. Best for him in the end - he was 27 and hadn't suffered a day in his life before this - he'd also eaten a big net full of hay so can't have been in pain for long.